Klimpsun - Welcome back

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I really think GT is about as ready as can be expected after last year. JT is looking really good. Lots of weapons on O. Some stars on D are emerging. I think this team has some heart & soul. A few frosh are contributing, not pressed to duty from injuries, but because they're really good.

I can't imagine GT looking past the Tiggers to thUgs, but I can see the Tiggers looking past GT to Louisville. I'm sure they know better, but I hope they can't help it.

Go Jackets! THWG!

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
desert-island.jpg
Nice. 283 people have passed by and waved.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Are they returning their middle linebacker? Did they lose any of those monster sized defensive linemen?

My fuzzy memory says that both Notre Dame and Clem had safety sized middle linebackers similar to the one yesterday. We could not get in front of him. He stuffed the middle one play and outran us to the edge the next.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Are they returning their middle linebacker? Did they lose any of those monster sized defensive linemen?

My fuzzy memory says that both Notre Dame and Clem had safety sized middle linebackers similar to the one yesterday. We could not get in front of him. He stuffed the middle one play and outran us to the edge the next.
Ben boulware is a LB that was out this past week I believe, I think he's an outside LB though.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Last year we were unable to protect in passing situations against Clemson. They brought pressure and we didn't have time to attempt a throw. If we can pick them up we can hit some home runs.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Scoring against Clemson hasn't really been the issue. Granted we didn't score much last year, but our offense wasn't itself last year. I think we will score, but will we stop them from scoring? Probably not. We better hope we 1) win the turnover battle and 2) hope our offense is clicking and scores most of the times that it has the ball.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If I remember correctly last year, Clemson was often sending the cornerback to bust up the toss play. They knew that had the dline to stop the fullback mesh. On offense they ran the ball and smashed us in the mouth. I think at least early in the game, they will try to run but if we are having success stopping them they will quickly go to passing given our lack of pass rush and unproven secondary. Got to believe CPJ has some plays in mind for the crashing CB. On defense, I think we need to make Watson run it and just keep hitting him time after time. Not trying to hurt someone, just wear him out. In 14, we did an incredible job reading the reads of their oline and receivers.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
On defense, I think we need to make Watson run it and just keep hitting him time after time. Not trying to hurt someone, just wear him out. In 14, we did an incredible job reading the reads of their oline and receivers.

We never try to intentional hurt an opposing player, but we do try to punish them. In '14, the D made vicious hits on Watson when he ran. I want to see that kind of intensity again on Thursday.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The GT players, and fans for that matter, should feel nothing but excited to play Climpsum. There is no reason to feel anything else. We don't play sports, ultimately, to just pick on the teams we are better than. We play for the challenge and the joy of competition. Clemson presents a big challenge. We are worthy opponents. Just get it done.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel pretty good about this week. Clemson has a lot more to worry about.

If an unranked Tech loses to a top 5 Clemson squad: We'll get respect if we're competitive with a top 5 team, even if we don't win; Tech gets to stay home and play in front of a whiteout crowd; Tech would still control it's own destiny in the Coastal; Hopefully, we wouldn't have to listen to too much Tech-bashing from the media if we lose a game we "should" lose. So, I feel Tech can kind of relax and just play our game, take some risks, and play for keeps.

If a top 5 Clemson "Clemsons" to an unranked Tech: It could totally unravel their season; they have to come on the road, prepare for the Paul Johnson spread on a short week and not get distracted thinking about a top 10 match up with Louisville the next week. If they lose, they'll have to listen to 10 days of "Clemson-ing" talk leading in to possibly their most important game of the year.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
If I remember correctly last year, Clemson was often sending the cornerback to bust up the toss play. They knew that had the dline to stop the fullback mesh. On offense they ran the ball and smashed us in the mouth. I think at least early in the game, they will try to run but if we are having success stopping them they will quickly go to passing given our lack of pass rush and unproven secondary. Got to believe CPJ has some plays in mind for the crashing CB. On defense, I think we need to make Watson run it and just keep hitting him time after time. Not trying to hurt someone, just wear him out. In 14, we did an incredible job reading the reads of their oline and receivers.

In '14 they were playing a hurt back-up qb. The injury was on a plant, not an impact; he was gashing us before going out. My hope is for a game plan that limits Watson and Gallman running, but it's a little bit like putting a thumb in a dike with their O.

#4 is good at running and our LBs don't match up well as spies on him. #4 is good at passing and our DBs don't match up well on Williams and Cain. The rocket toss in their run game is all the wide screen action and run/pass option. On paper, their O is such a bad match-up for our D, but on the field, they've earned "Clemsoning". Can't wait!

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I really worry if watson gets comfortable throwing the ball. I know we can stop gallman on the run but this game is where the deep ball can kill us.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Biggest game since ND last year IMO, just like that game it's time to find out what we REALLY have. Another big shot on a national stage. Let's hope the boys show up and take care of business.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think this could be like the Miami game in 14. We have some momentum, it is a home game, and things are starting to click. It should be a good game, we just have to be ready to play. I think our coaches will have the team ready.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I really worry if watson gets comfortable throwing the ball. I know we can stop gallman on the run but this game is where the deep ball can kill us.

Watson to their recover Williams is what worries me the most. They are going to connect on something big...the question will be if we can stick with our game plane and not get rattled.