King Injury Factual Updates

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’ll second this…
Hawes and Goede too, for that matter.
Boyd and Harpring both do some good things but were pretty thin at TE…
We’ve lost Seither, Hawes, Beetham, and Goede to injury. Seither is done for the year. Don’t know about the others. Goede looked like a knee to me, but who knows?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Listened to a ND presser and they listed 6 or so players who are injured w some vague info. Annouced the top defensive player and team captain out for season. They seem confifent in replacements.

I enjoy that more open ( but not eeally) communication method instead of "everyone is day to day".

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
1) Agree. Pyron will have packages we haven't seen yet. Faulkner's expansion of the playbook in the offseason wasn't just Haynes King centric...our coaches know what Pyron can bring to the table.

2) Disagree. King will be back for his final season. It may hurt some feelings in the QB room, but everyone has to make the best decision for themselves.
We’re a better football team with H. King on the field. If he’s able to go I believe we’ll end up 8-4 regular season. 2 huge wins the last 2 weeks. Let’s go Ga Tech baby

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We’re a better football team with H. King on the field. If he’s able to go I believe we’ll end up 8-4 regular season. 2 huge wins the last 2 weeks. Let’s go Ga Tech baby
I believe Pyron can do this, too. He’s shown his abilities. We were all pretty excited to see what he could do after the collarbone healed before HK transferred in and won the job. Like all of us, I wish we had more games in the bag so Zach, Aaron, and Brody could get more game reps, but we haven’t. I think we’ll be fine Saturday whoever starts.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I wish I shared everyone's optimism here. I have no doubts Pyron (and the coaches) comes out more prepared against ND than he looked against UNC, but a healthy Haynes King throws a better ball and is a home run threat every time he takes off on the ground. Pyron is a bulldozer whose big body falls forward and gets you 3.5 yards per rush on a good day. Removing the home run threat QB read option out of our playbook drops an entire dimension from our offense...I can't see us winning this week's game without Haynes King in.

Even prior to UNC, the coaches have not let Pyron throw the ball at the goal line all season. When he's been put in games this season, you already know when they break the huddle that the playcall is a read option. It's not really even an effective playcall - it's been mostly successful before the UNC game this year but they are not convincing touchdowns - it's not like a Jalen Hurts tush push situation where they (with Jason Kelce) were converting short yardage something like 97% of the time.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I wish I shared everyone's optimism here. I have no doubts Pyron (and the coaches) comes out more prepared against ND than he looked against UNC, but a healthy Haynes King throws a better ball and is a home run threat every time he takes off on the ground. Pyron is a bulldozer whose big body falls forward and gets you 3.5 yards per rush on a good day. Removing the home run threat QB read option out of our playbook drops an entire dimension from our offense...I can't see us winning this week's game without Haynes King in.

Even prior to UNC, the coaches have not let Pyron throw the ball at the goal line all season. When he's been put in games this season, you already know when they break the huddle that the playcall is a read option.
Why would they want him to throw in that situation? He needed to throw Saturday and tossed a perfect pass. He was 1/1 passing. The next play Haynes housed it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Why would they want him to throw in that situation? He needed to throw Saturday and tossed a perfect pass. He was 1/1 passing. The next play Haynes housed it.
Unless you're Jalen Hurts and the 2023 Eagles OL, you can't just telegraph your playcall to your opponent. He got stuffed multiple times by UNC on the goal line read option last game.

His 1 pass last game was a screen. And I know it was mostly a drain the clock situation, but Pyron had a 3rd and 5 (though this one was in 4 down territory so I get the run play on 3rd more here to maybe get to 4th and manageable) and 3rd and 6. Haynes King would have been allowed to throw the ball on both those plays. Coach Key has vocalized in pressers how awful Birr is from the right hash and they STILL kicked it on 4th and 4 rather than trust Pyron to pick up a 1st down.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree completely.
Why do they want Pyron running when everyone knows he is coming? Because if he is qb we are going to have more short yardage plays and Pyron is a good option He is practicing a critical play he will need to be good when he starts.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Unless you're Jalen Hurts and the 2023 Eagles OL, you can't just telegraph your playcall to your opponent. He got stuffed multiple times by UNC on the goal line read option last game.

His 1 pass last game was a screen. And I know it was mostly a drain the clock situation, but Pyron had a 3rd and 5 (though this one was in 4 down territory so I get the run play on 3rd more here to maybe get to 4th and manageable) and 3rd and 6. Haynes King would have been allowed to throw the ball on both those plays. Coach Key has vocalized in pressers how awful Birr is from the right hash and they STILL kicked it on 4th and 4 rather than trust Pyron to pick up a 1st down.
OK, we’ve heard all that before, multiple times. Pyron is put in at the GL to run the QB sneak. He’s bigger, more powerful runner than HK. We shouldn’t be surprised when he runs the QB sneak at the GL. Just about every QB sneak is run when everybody knows it’s coming. It’s a dare you to stop me play. Sometimes they do.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Wasn't really a screen was a read option triple. The same one we scored on actually. We just ran the same read option smoke counter twice in a row and the second time we popped the dive. Rutherford was the pitch option.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
In 2007 we used Nesbitt in the wildcat and it was a run everytime. Until it wasn’t (it was an incompletion but to a wide open receiver as I recall, in the infamous VT sharpie jersey game).

I assume sooner or later we’ll likely see that from the regular “Pyron package” too but the usage/playcalling being situational tells us nothing about his arm.

If we hadn’t put Pyron in for those plays there’s a GREAT chance we would’ve run anyway. we run more frequently than most teams.

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan

To submit your resume, send to: [email protected]

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How can this group provide factual information without factual information being released.
A lot of us here make up our own facts as we go! ;) It's easier and quicker than looking stuff up.
10 pages in and still no factual updates on King.
^ this is a fact. OTOH, if you did come here with different expectations I must say I admire your optimism and your faith in your fellow man. :) I expect we will know how things are at about the same time as the casual non-partisan fan who will watch the game on TV.

I wonder if Key knows how this (withholding factual information, esp. vis-a-vis player injuries) makes it very difficult for the betting public?? seems very self centered to me.