Kentucky Win Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
While I agree that the Kentucky win was great for the team. I still think Pastner isnt going to take us anywhere great. He hasnt really accomplished much in his tenure here and he's had a mediocre performance with talented players.

He inherited a dumpsterfire of a situation and has at least turned the roster into a respectable one to build around going forward. He may or may not be the guy for the long term but if he isn't then it's almost guaranteed the roster situation will be significantly better than what it was when he took over.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While I agree that the Kentucky win was great for the team. I still think Pastner isnt going to take us anywhere great. He hasnt really accomplished much in his tenure here and he's had a mediocre performance with talented players.

I love Tech winning and agree there are a lot of naysayers on the forums that just spew hate and filth for no reason other than to just be mean.

But we also have to realize that CJP hasn't made Tech look that great. He actually has a losing record while head coach of tech. We are an ACC school, we should be better than .500 at the bare minimum.

Overall great win, but I still think CJP needs to go. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
With my mod cap on, please note that we have a thread for advocating Pastner to be fired. Please use it for this purpose.

With mod cap hanging in the closet, please define what you mean by "talented" in your first paragraph, and by what standard. If I recall most people have regarded the lack of talent as our primary concern during his tenure.

Deleted member 2897

He inherited a dumpsterfire of a situation and has at least turned the roster into a respectable one to build around going forward. He may or may not be the guy for the long term but if he isn't then it's almost guaranteed the roster situation will be significantly better than what it was when he took over.

I feel the same way about CJP as I did about CPJ. I think they are both excellent tacticians, they know how to recruit and what to look for that suits their style, and are generally great coaches. At the same time, I am not emotionally attached to anybody. Just like people are starting to get frustrated with CJP and for good reason, the same happened with CPJ. You can be the greatest Xs and Os guy in the world, but if you can’t get the players to execute on what you’re teaching, then what good is it.

it used to drive me crazy when CPJ would talk about 50, 70, 100+ missed assignments, almost like it wasn’t his fault - the players just aren’t doing what they’re supposed to. These guys are not stupid – if you can’t teach them what they should be doing, then that’s on you.

If yesterday’s game is a sign of things to come, then CJP will be fine and will end up a few games over 500, and probably going to the NCAA tournament. If we continue to lose here and there to more teams than we should, then his contract will eventually run out and we will try to find someone better. We are in a global pandemic with highly depressed financial revenue, so I doubt regardless of anything we have a coaching change the season or next, but I could be wrong. IIWII.

EDIT: After posting this, I am realizing it is off-topic for this thread, and I apologize for that.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
With mod cap hanging in the closet, please define what you mean by "talented" in your first paragraph, and by what standard. If I recall most people have regarded the lack of talent as our primary concern during his tenure.

I mean we have a solid grouping of 3 and 4 star players at Tech that should allow us to be winning games on a more regular and consistent basis. Because, yes we struggle with recruiting and having good talent, we have enough to where we should be able to play on a more competitive level. With people like Devoe and Usher and such we should be winning more games imo. Last year we had james banks too which put us a 3 starter's who were ranked 4 stars. And I know last year was weird with the NCAA tournament ban, but going to some of the games myself and watching, I couldn't help but feel the players werent playing up to their talent level I woulsve thought them to have

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
s

give him a crying tail. He’ll just go BUY more players
Well, gee whiz, if you were coach of a blue blood pedigree program like Kentucky and lose to a team that had lost to GSU and Mercer, what would you do? Personally, I think someone should just give him a gun and let him get it over with before he has to suffer any more.

Deleted member 2897

I mean we have a solid grouping of 3 and 4 star players at Tech that should allow us to be winning games on a more regular and consistent basis. Because, yes we struggle with recruiting and having good talent, we have enough to where we should be able to play on a more competitive level. With people like Devoe and Usher and such we should be winning more games imo. Last year we had james banks too which put us a 3 starter's who were ranked 4 stars. And I know last year was weird with the NCAA tournament ban, but going to some of the games myself and watching, I couldn't help but feel the players werent playing up to their talent level I woulsve thought them to have

We have 5 guys on our roster ranked in the top 150 nationally. We have another handful ranked between 150 and 250. To your point, that is more than enough talent to beat teams like Mercer, Georgia State, Ball State, Gardner-Webb, and pretty much any team ranked outside the top 50 nationally...which is typically 2/3rds of our schedule. Going 20-10 should be a starting assumption in a normal full year's schedule...AT THIS POINT. Its taken a lot of good work by Pastner and team to get the roster to where it is. And, excluding the 5 guys we have now in the top 150, we have 3 more in this current class.

We lose some huge players this year like Alvarado, Usher, Moses, and potentially Devoe. But its okay as long as our recruiting classes are now like this.

Deleted member 2897

Well, gee whiz, if you were coach of a blue blood pedigree program like Kentucky and lose to a team that had lost to GSU and Mercer, what would you do? Personally, I think someone should just give him a gun and let him get it over with before he has to suffer any more.

Did anybody else think Calipari looked pregnant this weekend?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I mostly agree with your point, but last year we won 17 games and had a winning record in the ACC. I think we would have played post-season had we not chosen to take our post-season ban last year. In retrospect, that was a marvelous decision. Pastner came in his first season and took us to the NIT finals with the Gregory squad, but losing Okogie hurt him with his next team. When I look at the progress we have made and the recruits coming in, I feel we are on the right track. Time will tell. While we have had one or two good players every year, having ACC caliber players coming off the bench is critical to any team having success in this conference.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Last year we had james banks too which put us a 3 starter's who were ranked 4 stars. And I know last year was weird with the NCAA tournament ban, but going to some of the games myself and watching, I couldn't help but feel the players werent playing up to their talent level I woulsve thought them to have

The weird part of last year's scenario wasn't the NCAA ban. It was the missing two starters for the majority of the out of conference including our starting PG from a team that went 7 deep on a good day. IF you want to argue that the team during that time should have performed better then be my guest but in conference play we finished 5th and all of the 4 teams ahead of us had more talent than us. About the only game where you could really say we underperformed when fully healthy was the Pitt game. Otherwise we lost competitive games to teams either clearly better than us or right around where we are. We basically lost to the top tier teams, beat the low tier teams and went .500 against the teams in our tier. There was one good exception (UL) and one bad (Pitt). I find it hard to believe you looked at least year's team and saw talent that should do better than that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I loved seeing the intermediate jumpers being money. That is a lost shot in today's basketball. Very effective is used correctly. Saw Sturdivant, Usher, Alvarez, Moore, and Moses all hit pull-up jumpers. Beautiful!

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Great to look good in a win when not many other games were on TV too.
It’s great to look good on ESPN, but let’s be real. The game was played on an NFL Sunday @ 5 PM. The only people watching/paying attention to GT/Kentucky basketball in the 3rd game of the season are GT/Kentucky basketball fans and college basketball diehard fans/analysts.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Not compared to most UNC teams, but they had more talent than at least half the conference.
Eh I guess, maybe when healthy. I mean they were playing William and Mary/Charleston Southern transfers HEAVY minutes.

Either way, UNC had more injuries/bad luck last year than any team I’ve seen in recent memory. It reminded me of our 2015 football season. Except, this time it wasn’t painful for me :)

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I love Tech winning and agree there are a lot of naysayers on the forums that just spew hate and filth for no reason other than to just be mean.

But we also have to realize that CJP hasn't made Tech look that great. He actually has a losing record while head coach of tech. We are an ACC school, we should be better than .500 at the bare minimum.

Overall great win, but I still think CJP needs to go. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
For me, I see Pastner's tenure as sort of the tale of two different tapes: ACC vs. non-conference. His ACC record has actually been okay by historical Tech standards. Not what we would aspire to by any means, but around our historical average. For some context, in the last 24 years (going back to Cremins last 4 seasons), we have only had two seasons with a winning ACC record, and one of those was under Pastner (9-7 in 2003/4 and 11-9 in 5th). That stat is amazing as it is. Only 2 seasons with a winning ACC record in 24! ugh.

But, Pastner's teams have started poorly every year at Tech in the non-conference schedule, resulting in multiple bad/embarrassing losses before getting to ACC play. That is where he has killed us, and where it looks like he may have already killed us this year. If he could just start stronger and continue to be competitive in the ACC, I could see him getting us regularly back in the tourney conversation. At least I hope so, as we can't afford to make a change anyway.

Go Jackets! Great win.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless of how they fare it will be. They were an AP top 25 team at the time of our victory
Unfortunately the NCAAT quadrant system doesn't care where a team was (incorrectly) ranked at the time of the game. The quadrant system will normalize Kentucky's year-long performance, and that will be used to determine the quality of our victory. Right now it's shaping up to be a quadrant 2 or 3 win.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It’s great to look good on ESPN, but let’s be real. The game was played on an NFL Sunday @ 5 PM. The only people watching/paying attention to GT/Kentucky basketball in the 3rd game of the season are GT/Kentucky basketball fans and college basketball diehard fans/analysts.
Perhaps true. Regardless of how much overlap there is between NFL and college basketball fans - and that'd be an interesting debate - it's helpful to knock down Kentucky on national TV with fewer CBB games to compete. I'm pretty apathetic about NFL, and obviously the ratings are high, but if one is inclined to CBB anyway like myself, they were tuning in because there wasn't much else on.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately the NCAAT quadrant system doesn't care where a team was (incorrectly) ranked at the time of the game. The quadrant system will normalize Kentucky's year-long performance, and that will be used to determine the quality of our victory. Right now it's shaping up to be a quadrant 2 or 3 win.
Wow that stinks. A win is a win though