Kentucky Win Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
FIRE PASTNER! CUT ALL OF THE PLAYERS!

Am I doing that right and by "that" I mean acting like one of the whiny *******s who needed to chill the **** out and will probably not compliment the team on a great, high profile, nationally televised win with a lot of contributions from everyone?
I love it!!! I get so sick of the ones on here that only post negative things. Great win tonight! I was as frustrated as everyone else the first two games but it’s a long season.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
a few thoughts/observations:
-turnovers (on both ends) were the key... we gave up so few easy transition buckets to UK because we did not turn it over... on the other end our zone def was very good and UK helped us with plenty of terrible live ball turnovers... those live ball turnovers turned into some easy transition buckets for us which helped get us going offensively after a slow start by both teams (11-10 score after first 10 mins of action).
-energy and effort on def and boards far superior to first 2 games.
-by my count we only ran DDM 3 times all game, on 2 of those possessions we turned the ball over. on paper it makes a ton of sense for us to run DDM because of our roster/lineups, but it is highly dependent on timing and spacing (more so than many other offenses). and if we have not been practicing 5v5 because of covid, it is impossible to get good at the timing and spacing needed. without the proper timing and spacing, it looks like selfish iso ball with guys standing around on the perimeter watching teammates look like they are playing selfish iso ball. so even if our roster/lineups align with DDM on paper, no chance of running it successfully without a ton of 5v5 practice, scrimmages, exhibitions, etc. that said, down the road with more practice time, i wonder if later in the year we see more of it mixed in with the 5-out princeton stuff.
-the 5-out princeton style stuff with a lot of DHOs and split action looked good - not great, but good. that combined with some easy transition buckets was solid/respectable offense.
-for the life of me i cannot figure out why we walk the ball up the floor so much after defensive rebs. i'd argue we should be pushing much more with our 3-guard lineups and two athletic forwards (and of course also when we play 4 guards with moses). i think the occasional efforts to push tempo tonight back up that assertion. we are small and athletic, but we are not a great half court offensive team and struggle to create our own shots and/or make 3s consistently. imho the solution is we need to generate more offense in secondary/transition after defensive rebs.
-kyle at PG looked really good in those secondary/transition situations. small sample size, but if that is how he plays consistently, put him at PG and let all the others be CGs.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Box score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201206-210150.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206-210150.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 35

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
it’s fascinating and reminds me of North Carolina last year. How you can have that much talent and struggle is beyond me.
Not one single player that played against Tech today played for Kentucky last year, and Kentucky literally does not have two players on the entire roster that were teamates last year. Will be interesting to see if they can improve as the year goes, but not too much of a surprise that they are struggling early.

That said, that was a fantastic bounce back from Tech. Pastner really screwed up the pre-season. Now we just need to get Devoe going and find some consistency.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Not one single player that played against Tech today played for Kentucky last year, and Kentucky literally does not have two players on the entire roster that were teamates last year. Will be interesting to see if they can improve as the year goes, but not too much of a surprise that they are struggling early.

And yet Kentucky is (was) ranked...

/

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

That said, that was a fantastic bounce back from Tech. Pastner really screwed up the pre-season. Now we just need to get Devoe going and find some consistency.
My eyes tell me they have plenty of talent. How long will it take for them to play as a complete team? Look out when KY answers that question.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Yet they are "studs" that would start on many teams AND they were a Top 20 team.

They played more like GT in our game against Mercer, not like a team.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
interesting post-game comment from Pastner about winter break practice schedule. more two-a-days to catch up on the live 5v5 practices that were missed in the preseason. i like the sound of this:

"It is a great win, but there are a lot of areas we need to improve upon that we need to work on in practice," Pastner said. "With Winter Break coming up we can keep doing two-a-days. We treated this past week like training camp because we missed that. I knew we were getting better and we just got to stay on it."

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
FIRE PASTNER! CUT ALL OF THE PLAYERS!

Am I doing that right and by "that" I mean acting like one of the whiny *******s who needed to chill the **** out and will probably not compliment the team on a great, high profile, nationally televised win with a lot of contributions from everyone?
Glad they won and it was a great game!! If you are calling me out just remember we haven’t played in a tourney game since 2010 so it’s ok to be critical when you lose to two school that play in the state of Georgia that you should beat in a year fans like me have high expectations. That’s ok to do and it doesn’t make you a bad fan. Fans are allowed to be upset.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I admit I thought we would be 0-5 before we played Florida A&M. Shows what I know. Great job by everyone involved with the BB program.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Before the game started , I said I could easily forgive and forget the ga state and Mercer losses if we beat Kentucky. Kentucky may have a lot of issues but it’s still Kentucky at the end of the day. Hopefully they put it together soon so this win looks better as the season goes on.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech looked good and in the form they had at the end of last season. How about Sturdivant? Impressive. But what happened with Devoe? Calipari has a long way to go coordinating the Wildcats. I guess this makes Mercer as a team look better and better.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Great complete game from start to finish. I’m not the biggest JP guy but that was impressive the way he had the ready today. Gotta get Devoe out it off his slump soon. I did find myself expecting to blow it somehow mid way thru the first half when we went a little stagnant and Kentucky took the lead, but we wanted it more and you could see the young ones from Kentucky weren’t ready for an experienced, tuff team.
Helluva a win for Josh and this squad. Now we gotta string a few in a row and get back on track.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Glad they won and it was a great game!! If you are calling me out just remember we haven’t played in a tourney game since 2010 so it’s ok to be critical when you lose to two school that play in the state of Georgia that you should beat in a year fans like me have high expectations. That’s ok to do and it doesn’t make you a bad fan. Fans are allowed to be upset.
I have no idea who you are.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The post was probably in reference to the numerous posters who last year only ever posted after we lost and disappeared when we won and were conspicuously absent later in the year. There is the same thing that happens in the football forum.

But that is one of those posts where if you take offense to what was said you probably should re-evaluate your posting habits.