Ken Wisenhunt to Interview this weekend per NFL League resources

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Guess I won't have to wonder......you have already made it clear....:rolleyes:

I don’t want to sound mean but damn let CPJ go and let’s focus on the here and now. CPJs era is over and it’ll have nothing to do with the future. He left it in a much better place than Chan....actually that’s not true Chan left PJ a top 10 recruiting class that PJ had success with.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
This would be the perfect hire if we were coming off a bunch of 3 win seasons and desperate to right the ship for the next guy. This is the type of hire I would expect from TStan at Oregon State.

We won an Orange Bowl in 2014, won 9 games in 2016, and have a chance at 8-5 this year with one of the better bowls.

We have a new apparel deal that includes new branding and a trademark color, we have a brand new locker room, new lobby, the ACC network is launching next year with our state of the art broadcast facility, we have shown a dedication to football by funding staff expansion last year and the ai2020 campaign in full swing. This is the time you go for an exciting hire, not Ken Wisenhunt. It would kill all the momentum TStan is trying to build.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t want to sound mean but damn let CPJ go and let’s focus on the here and now. CPJs era is over and it’ll have nothing to do with the future. He left it in a much better place than Chan....actually that’s not true Chan left PJ a top 10 recruiting class that PJ had success with.

as an aside, I am hoping that one of the positive outcomes of CPJ stepping down is that we no longer have to hear or discuss Coach Chan Gailey. Ever. Again. he's gone and has been long gone but never have has a coach who did so little imo get discussed so much. In any thread discussing our current coach and his coaching strategy, his (Chan's) name always surfaces. I hope it's time we can finally and officially "let go" of CCG. Of course, the next guy....whenever we discuss his (or her in this day and age) pros and cons...guess whose name is coming to come up as the reference point or benchmark? that's right, CPJ. But maybe we can let CCG finally get his well deserved RIP.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Agree, hopefully. TS is out smarting us all. He threw this name out there to see what the response from the fanbase would be, and he has an uprising on his hands already. Not that the fanbase should get to pick the coach but TS doesn't wanna lose the fanbase with this hire. He's already extended Pastner and that was a fireable offense, he better nail this one.
Chill on Pastner he’s getting at minimum 2 more years regardless but that’s for another thread. I don’t think he cares what the fan base thinks. If in 3-4 years Tech is relevant people will show up.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If Todd starts with "NFL experience and connected to this school", he's working his way right to Whisenhunt which I think is horrible. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Todd: "OK search committee, I'm looking for a head coach with NFL experience, played here at Tech, last name begins with a 'W', and only three letters in the first name. Now you all may look anywhere you want and provide recommendations from anyone on earth, even the universe, that fits my search criteria. Good luck, we're all counting on you!" :facepalm:
I saw that "report" -- and I am caution because BR is kind of sophomoric in its writing -- but if the desire is a connection, and NFL, then the job description is written with one man in mind. I don't believe that. Almost without exception, creativity and innovation in football begins in colleges, not the NFL, which is a copy cat, see no evil cut and paste operation, top to bottom. (In years to come somebody will realize that the transition to RPO and zone reads in the NFL actually began with Johnson's option successes in college, but that is another argument.) I'm sure Whisenhunt is a fine human being. He is not a Georgia Tech football coach if the desire at Georgia Tech is to improve on Johnson. (And that should be the desire in any replacement at any level: better than the last. It is evolution.) I don't know whether he is interviewing or not, but: Elliott at Clemson is a live candidate. Moreover, he would bring the Swinney model to GT, and one of those that nobody knows much about is the unbelievable use of former Clemson players to serve as volunteers or GAs or student coaches to Clemson. (If a guy is a student a lot of the barriers are lowered.)

Which is to say if Elliott were hired I would see the first phone call going to Calvin Johnson. He has always said he wanted to finish his degree. So enroll for a course, be a student, then come down to the field and work with our receivers. Greet our recruiting prospects. Show the GT flag. Right now Clemson has a former punter working with kickers. But until then he was a volunteer assistant as a student, back to Clemson to get his degree. Spent 15 years in the major leagues as a shortstop and utility infielder. And JP Losman, former NFL QB, as an intern, enrolled as a student because Swinney was the only college coach willing to give him a chance to get into coaching.

Calvin Johnson. What do you think that would do for recruiting?

Animal02

Banned
I saw that "report" -- and I am caution because BR is kind of sophomoric in its writing -- but if the desire is a connection, and NFL, then the job description is written with one man in mind. I don't believe that. Almost without exception, creativity and innovation in football begins in colleges, not the NFL, which is a copy cat, see no evil cut and paste operation, top to bottom. (In years to come somebody will realize that the transition to RPO and zone reads in the NFL actually began with Johnson's option successes in college, but that is another argument.) I'm sure Whisenhunt is a fine human being. He is not a Georgia Tech football coach if the desire at Georgia Tech is to improve on Johnson. (And that should be the desire in any replacement at any level: better than the last. It is evolution.) I don't know whether he is interviewing or not, but: Elliott at Clemson is a live candidate. Moreover, he would bring the Swinney model to GT, and one of those that nobody knows much about is the unbelievable use of former Clemson players to serve as volunteers or GAs or student coaches to Clemson. (If a guy is a student a lot of the barriers are lowered.)

Which is to say if Elliott were hired I would see the first phone call going to Calvin Johnson. He has always said he wanted to finish his degree. So enroll for a course, be a student, then come down to the field and work with our receivers. Greet our recruiting prospects. Show the GT flag. Right now Clemson has a former punter working with kickers. But until then he was a volunteer assistant as a student, back to Clemson to get his degree. Spent 15 years in the major leagues as a shortstop and utility infielder. And JP Losman, former NFL QB, as an intern, enrolled as a student because Swinney was the only college coach willing to give him a chance to get into coaching.

Calvin Johnson. What do you think that would do for recruiting?
You are assuming that CJ would want to do that but you make some valid points.
Improving on CPJs core accomplishments , to me is the step in the right direction,. going in a different direction is throwing evreveryth out and starting over. Tech is already behind in so many aspects. I do not feel they would ever come close to catching the middle of the pack by trying to imitate them. The nonsense about the NFL connection, pipeline etc by other posters is maddening. Basing your program on 2% of the population is suicidal ....especially as the NFL is hemorrhaging viewers and fans with their social justice nonsense.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
At this point, we need someone with a proven methodology... and there’s two. First is the Saban Process. Everyone knows that.

The other is the Landry Method. Tom Landry was an engineer and taught it to Gene Stalling. Who taught it to his tree,including Dabo.

I’d be happy with anybody from either tree.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

That 2008 signing class was so damn good it won the OB in 2014. :rolleyes:

Milwaukee

Banned
Chill on Pastner he’s getting at minimum 2 more years regardless but that’s for another thread. I don’t think he cares what the fan base thinks. If in 3-4 years Tech is relevant people will show up.

Pastner won't get 2 more years after this year unless things change. We're in year 3 of bad teams already. But you're right that's for another thread.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Jezz folks, all this talk about Wiz makes me think of all the negative stuff about Tech under CPJ. There is a lot we simply don’t know. How much money can we give a HC ? How much do we have to dedicate to a OC ? Is Woody staying or going ? How much will a DC cost ?

Do any of these possible HC’s come with their own expectations as to what they will want or who they will want ? How many of these possible HCs look at Tech as a short layover ? I mean we literally know nothing.

Not arguing for or against any of them but I do think TStan would be correct in expecting a Tech grad to be a little more willing to compromise a salary for maybe 5 more people in the recruiting office or maybe a Tech grad, like T Stan, can be trusted to put Tech first in EVERYTHING. I don’t know but I do know this, THE best coach in the last 50 years at Tech said he stayed 3 years past his urge to leave because T Stan gets it. To me that’s enough reason to trust the process and to me it’s DAMN good that 1 day after CPJ announces he is leaving we have established NFL coaches and up and coming stud coaches asking T Stan for a job that half of the folks on this board swore was hopeless, as little as 4 days ago.

I want a guy who lives Tech and has resources to effect change to the positive regardless of who it is and a person who sees Tech as THE PLACE to coach - not A PLACE to coach.

I trust T Stan, no reason not to !