juice crew

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Understand what you’re saying, Supersize, but we’ve had very successful and dramatic transitions before. In other places, I don’t think Mike Leach has done a gradual transition. Paul Johnson didn’t transition all that gradually. Holgorsen has had pretty dramatic transitions.

It’s harder for me to think of good but gradual transitions.

We gotta make the right blocks and receivers have to go for the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with what you're saying. I just wonder if offensive transition was necessary. Defense, for sure needed an upgrade or more time with Woody.

Understand what you’re saying, Supersize, but we’ve had very successful and dramatic transitions before. In other places, I don’t think Mike Leach has done a gradual transition. Paul Johnson didn’t transition all that gradually. Holgorsen has had pretty dramatic transitions.

The problem now at Tech though is that we don't CURRENTLY have the players to make that sudden transition. In most, if not all, other cases, the material was there already. We have a run-based capability and you want them suddenly to have a pass-based capability. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen overnight. So make the most of what you have and capitalize on what they can do well, and gradually bring in the new schemes .... AND new players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Gradual transitions are only necessary if they’re necessary. If Coach Collins did a complete transformation and it was successful nobody would care about it being gradual or not.

Animal02

Banned
Current players always parrot current coach speak. Universal truth. Former players.....well many of those come to the party with their own narrow biases. And you kinda lost me at “some.”
And the negatives come through much more loud and than the positives.....especially for those looking to drive or validate their narrative.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree with what you're saying. I just wonder if offensive transition was necessary. Defense, for sure needed an upgrade or more time with Woody.

O change was not necessary for winning more games. It was for appeasing big donors and other in house interest groups.

It was also completely incompatible with the new staff. And the new staff shouldn’t be burdened with prior schemes etc. Let them live or die on their own philosophies.

O change was not necessary for winning more games. It was for appeasing big donors and other in house interest groups.

It was also completely incompatible with the new staff. And the new staff shouldn’t be burdened with prior schemes etc. Let them live or die on their own philosophies.
While that is true, there's no reason at all for not incorporating and taking advantage of a run game in their scheme. Other teams (MOST other teams) do it. Why won't they?

LibertyTurns

Banned
The offensive transition was necessary. You had a large percentage of the fanbase that was going to be disenfranchised running the TO. You can’t run a football program, particularly one at a Institute like GT’s, with half the fanbase so pissed off at the offense they won’t really support the Team. Stansbury rightfully calculated the TO fanboys (a smaller portion of the fanbase) would not abandon GT & the non-TO fanboys would come back.

I’m not sure it alters the overall program trajectory greatly as all college football is trending down, but you can’t argue that it brought some fans back to the fold so at a minimum it blunted the decline some. I personally feel we somewhat botched the transition & lost an opportunity to generate some excitement early on. We got excitement, just the wrong kind.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The problem now at Tech though is that we don't CURRENTLY have the players to make that sudden transition. In most, if not all, other cases, the material was there already. We have a run-based capability and you want them suddenly to have a pass-based capability. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen overnight. So make the most of what you have and capitalize on what they can do well, and gradually bring in the new schemes .... AND new players.
With the ol injurues inexperienced qb are nervous and we are running a half way offense . This lets the safeties fire to stop the run. I was hoping to see graham start and light them up.
But our scoring points per minute was pretty good= iirc 24 in about that many minutes.

I ll leave it to i b but imo w seem to be very soft in the middle. Thats got to change

With the ol injurues inexperienced qb are nervous and we are running a half way offense . This lets the safeties fire to stop the run. I was hoping to see graham start and light them up.
But our scoring points per minute was pretty good= iirc 24 in about that many minutes.

I ll leave it to i b but imo w seem to be very soft in the middle. Thats got to change
But nobody yet has consistently stopped Oliver. They always stop Johnson though.

Animal02

Banned
The offensive transition was necessary. You had a large percentage of the fanbase that was going to be disenfranchised running the TO. You can’t run a football program, particularly one at a Institute like GT’s, with half the fanbase so pissed off at the offense they won’t really support the Team. Stansbury rightfully calculated the TO fanboys (a smaller portion of the fanbase) would not abandon GT & the non-TO fanboys would come back.

I’m not sure it alters the overall program trajectory greatly as all college football is trending down, but you can’t argue that it brought some fans back to the fold so at a minimum it blunted the decline some. I personally feel we somewhat botched the transition & lost an opportunity to generate some excitement early on. We got excitement, just the wrong kind.
I don't know if it was a large percentage....but there we obviously so high end donors that wanted something else and I hope they are happy with what they got. I think for the most part, people that liked the 3O and CPJ would support Tech regardless....and now you see the ones that didn't projecting their own feelings regarding support of the team on those that liked the 3O

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
While that is true, there's no reason at all for not incorporating and taking advantage of a run game in their scheme. Other teams (MOST other teams) do it. Why won't they?

I don't even think it has to be run game. Quick screens are basically an extension of the run game and don't require much pass protection. Very short quick passing routes are also basically an extension of the run game and don't require much pass protection. Most RPO teams use those types of passes. I don't understand why GT hasn't put that in.

There was a screen to a TE that I remember, but it wasn't a quick screen it was a long developing bubble type screen.

EDIT: From what I remember (without a lot of reviewing), lots of the passing this year has been fairly long passes. Even if I were to watch the replays, it is hard to know if the play was called for a long pass or if the QB just sat on the long route because you can't see the receiver routes on TV.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of you sound like your parents’ or grandparents’ generation complaining about the evils of rock and roll.

Elvis didn't clutch his crotch on stage or have lyrics about rape and murder. The artists back then didn't shoot each other on a weekly basis either. I guess back then, people just were not as advanced as now....i.e. the juice crew.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Elvis didn't clutch his crotch on stage or have lyrics about rape and murder. The artists back then didn't shoot each other on a weekly basis either. I guess back then, people just were not as advanced as now....i.e. the juice crew.

Elvis gyrated on stage, which was apparently quite shocking at the time. In fact, he was only shown from the waist up on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Once again, just like the Money Down, the juice crew is almost entirely for the players and recruits. It's not really for the fans, I didn't even notice them at either the USF or Citadel game. Also, it's hilariously ironic that the OP goes on about how "All the Way Turnt Up" is deplorable when that was the anthem for CPJ's early tenure. CPJ even had guys singing it on the jumbotron as someone linked to previously. The song is literally a staple of Atlanta-based music and Atlanta is largely recognized for its rap scene above all else (whether you like it or not).

Serious question: those opposed to rap, what would you want to hear played over the loud speakers that would do a better job at getting fans, players, and recruits excited? Personally, Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto gets HYPE around the 6:40 mark of the 1st movement.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Once again, just like the Money Down, the juice crew is almost entirely for the players and recruits. It's not really for the fans, I didn't even notice them at either the USF or Citadel game. Also, it's hilariously ironic that the OP goes on about how "All the Way Turnt Up" is deplorable when that was the anthem for CPJ's early tenure. CPJ even had guys singing it on the jumbotron as someone linked to previously. The song is literally a staple of Atlanta-based music and Atlanta is largely recognized for its rap scene above all else (whether you like it or not).

Serious question: those opposed to rap, what would you want to hear played over the loud speakers that would do a better job at getting fans, players, and recruits excited? Personally, Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto gets HYPE around the 6:40 mark of the 1st movement.

John Philip Sousa

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ummm...where'd I type the word "some"?

But when current players of new coach AND former players of previous coach are in agreement, it's probably closer to the truth than the biased opinions of fans of the former coach.

Coulda sworn you wrote “some current and former”.....wait, are you saying they are all saying this? :D

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You could say the same things about fans operating with even less information than those players.

Just haven’t seen any of this “inside info” posted previously. Have all those players been sworn to secrecy? Lots of opinions from them...very lacking in anything else.