juice crew

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not comparable. Elvis never advocated drugs or violence in his music.
The elders during the Elvis controversy probably said that Tony Bennett never simulated sex acts on stage.

EDIT: BTW the 60s and early 70s were full of songs about drugs. Hank Williams Jr. sang about drugs and violence in the 80s. It might be that the envelope keeps getting pushed further and further, but songs about drugs and/or violence didn't start in the last few years, or even the last few decades.

Last edited:

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
And yet, you loved "Elvis the Pelvis" and his gyrations that the Los Angeles vice squad filmed to ensure that he wasn't breaking the laws about "vulgarity". Now, you detest those younguns and their "vulgarity". It most definitely is about generations. You couldn't see the older generations point about Elvis, and now you can't see the younger generations point about rap.
Much hip hop/rap music is HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE . Many of the lyrics are are so sexually perverted it is truly morally bankrupt and embarrassing that our culture in any way wants to promote it. Yet many of you on this board want to do just that or at least act as if it's okay 'if that's what the kids want'. Jeezy (coming to GT practices) is a good idea for what reason? Some of his lyrics are definitely as I've described above. Yet because he's a 'celebrity' it is a good idea? Coach Jazzy Geoff, any coach of young men, should be above that.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
giphy.gif

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Much hip hop/rap music is HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE . Many of the lyrics are are so sexually perverted it is truly morally bankrupt and embarrassing that our culture in any way wants to promote it. Yet many of you on this board want to do just that or at least act as if it's okay 'if that's what the kids want'. Jeezy (coming to GT practices) is a good idea for what reason? Some of his lyrics are definitely as I've described above. Yet because he's a 'celebrity' it is a good idea? Coach Jazzy Geoff, any coach of young men, should be above that.

Nickleback has some songs that are HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE. Theory of a Deadman has some songs that are HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE.

Lola by the Kinks released in 1970 was considered by many to be HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE. I believe that most of the young people who listened to it grew up to be productive citizens.

Some David Allan Coe songs were HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE. Some were even at least racially insensitive. However, I believe that most of the young people who listened to it grew up to be productive citizens.

2 Live Crew had a popular song in the mid-1980s (When I was in high school) that was more vulgar than either of the two songs that have been referenced recently with GT football players. The song was so vulgar that it would have been impossible to have a radio edit of the song. However, I believe that most of the young people who listened to it grew up to be productive citizens.

The common factor in all of these examples from Lola to 2 Live Crew is that the young people didn't think much about it while the older people thought it was the end of civilization. As I said, most of the people who listened to Lola or to 2 Live Crew grew up to be productive citizens. I believe the same is true about high school and college kids today.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Saturday can’t come soon enough, so we can find something better to complain about.

Since Jeezy is now a no go, I vote we get represented by the original Juice Crew ;)

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
while im not a fan of rap. there are some exceptions. same with hip hop. i new some folks from savannah that were in with andrea 3000 and outkast. lots of people like their music. pretty talented group of folks.

bottom line though. my generation hands down had the best rocknroll.

60s 70s 80s NO1. THANK YOU VERY MUCH ;)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Nickleback has some songs that are HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE. Theory of a Deadman has some songs that are HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE.

Lola by the Kinks released in 1970 was considered by many to be HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE. I believe that most of the young people who listened to it grew up to be productive citizens.

Some David Allan Coe songs were HYPER VULGAR & OBSCENE. Some were even at least racially insensitive. However, I believe that most of the young people who listened to it grew up to be productive citizens.

2 Live Crew had a popular song in the mid-1980s (When I was in high school) that was more vulgar than either of the two songs that have been referenced recently with GT football players. The song was so vulgar that it would have been impossible to have a radio edit of the song. However, I believe that most of the young people who listened to it grew up to be productive citizens.

The common factor in all of these examples from Lola to 2 Live Crew is that the young people didn't think much about it while the older people thought it was the end of civilization. As I said, most of the people who listened to Lola or to 2 Live Crew grew up to be productive citizens. I believe the same is true about high school and college kids today.

The problem with this is...
David Allen Coe, The Kinks and 2 Live Crew don't suck.
Nickelback and Theory of a Deadman do.

Meanwhile, the Juice Crew remains something I can't unsee.
And I wish I could.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
There is strong evidence that the members of Led Zeppelin raped a woman with a mudshark in 1969. Let’s not pretend rap is the first time potentially violent or disturbed people got famous in the music industry.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the biggest negative take for me is the comparable image of Nero fiddling while Rome was burning. That's what I saw when our guys were dancing on the sidelines, not watching the game or even knowing that we were getting spanked by an FCS team. Btw, what is so wrong about intently watching, cheering and encouraging from the sidelines?

The whole rap debate doesn't even apply, imo. They could be dancing to Billy Ray Cyrus for all I care and I wouldn't like it. (Oh snap, he's a rapper now isn't he, bad example.)

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the biggest negative take for me is the comparable image of Nero fiddling while Rome was burning. That's what I saw when our guys were dancing on the sidelines, not watching the game or even knowing that we were getting spanked by an FCS team. Btw, what is so wrong about intently watching, cheering and encouraging from the sidelines?

The whole rap debate doesn't even apply, imo. They could be dancing to Billy Ray Cyrus for all I care and I wouldn't like it. (Oh snap, he's a rapper now isn't he, bad example.)
The player should be asked to be attentive to the play on the field, cheering and encouraging when appropriate. Non-stop hype up activities are what the cheerleaders are for.

Animal02

Banned

Reminds me of J.H. games where cheerleaders are doing a "block that kick" when their team is punting.