juice crew

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
So we are being lame AND unoriginal. I think that’s been established already though. Win and the silliness is tolerable. Get er done Saturday.
WC - I really don't get where you are coming from with all of your negativity on this subject in particular. You're the same guy that once challenged me to yell standing up at BDS, saying that I could make more noise if I was standing up. The same guy that takes a lot of pride in yelling the entire game when our Defense is on the field. I don't ever recall anyone saying your were being lame and unoriginal or silly for standing up and yelling for a defense that showed us time and time again that they couldn't get off the field. The juice crew is just a way to get non-scholarship guys to fire up the players on the sideline.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Whisky is wrong:
The juice crew is for people besides me . About 30 -40 % of those of us sweating in the stands are pretty much oblivious to the game and its detail. The fn commercials are way long and this segment of the fans enjoys the dancing. In my old folks section we have several middle age ladies love the commercial time. When they get on the jumbotron they are elated. I see my wife and nearby kids watching the juice crew. Its for others.

Whisky is right.:
Its lame to be a possible gt football player who is acting crazy dancing on the sideline when we are getting whipped.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Back to a discussion about the juice crew. I don't have issues with grading the non-playing players on their energy and enthusiasm during the game. I don't mind if dancing is part of that energy and enthusiasm. However, part of the grading should be engagement with the actual game. If the team on the field is getting their butts whipped, then project energy and enthusiasm towards encouragement to the guys on the field, instead of at yourself.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to speak for @DCSS , but I believe his point was that this kind of "this never happened when I was young" type attitude happens with every generation. When Elvis started his hip gyrations, the older people were appalled and claimed that this kind of behavior never happened when they were young. Everyone "recalls" that times were innocent when they were young. In truth strip shows and brothels have been around since before any of us, and any of the grandparents complaining about Elvis were born.

Now I despise Hip_Hop, Rap, Trap,etc. To be fair, though, this is a common complaint from every single generation. When the classical romantic composers like Strauss first started writing waltzes people were scandalized that such dances would lead to promiscuity... I think it is just human nature...

GT_EE78

Banned
Back to a discussion about the juice crew. I don't have issues with grading the non-playing players on their energy and enthusiasm during the game. I don't mind if dancing is part of that energy and enthusiasm. However, part of the grading should be engagement with the actual game. If the team on the field is getting their butts whipped, then project energy and enthusiasm towards encouragement to the guys on the field, instead of at yourself.
Well said. Keeping the focus on the game "during the game" would make sense. Maybe the dancers could be given a halftime spot . Hec, they could even dress up then and do Michael Jackson's moonwalk.

MostDefinitely

Georgia Tech Fan
How do we know engagement with the game isn't part of the grading? Maybe it is. Like the original tweet from KQ says, the point of the juice crew is to fire the team up and encourage teammates, not to dance for dancing's sake.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
How do we know engagement with the game isn't part of the grading? Maybe it is. Like the original tweet from KQ says, the point of the juice crew is to fire the team up and encourage teammates, not to dance for dancing's sake.

I don't know if it is or isn't. I was just saying that it should be. There were times in the Citadel game where the target of the energy seemed to be misplaced. At the end of the game, or maybe it was during overtime, not just the juice crew, but the entire team on the sidelines was jumping up and down and yelling. That I am definitely on board with.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lot of changes start out one way and change. Your suggested adjustment is a good one.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I get what he’s trying do as far as building the culture with the juice crew. He wants all of our guys to stay positive during adversity in the game and support the guys out on the field. He wants the guys on the sidelines to actually seem involved and seem to care. There have been times in games before (going back through multiple coaching regimes) where at times during the games it has felt like the fans cared more than the players. I remember one UGA game under CCG where, based on their demeanor, the sideline didn’t seem to even care their hated rivals were dominating them. I actually love the idea behind the juice crew. I love getting the whole team focused on the game and staying positive to help the guys on the field.

However, the execution in this idea seems flawed. One, the constant dancing and jumping around for the sake of being “juice” actually comes off equally (if not more) unfocused on the game. Dance when Tobias gets a first down on the potential game winning drive. Don’t dance as Lucas takes a sack the very next play(this actually happened). I don’t know if they are just trying to get a good grade and constantly dancing, but you can stay upbeat and energized on the sideline while also reacting to the game accordingly.

Two, I don’t know if I like the idea behind “grading” players on this. Everyone is different. Everyone will react to certain things differently. The number one job as a leader is to learn how to lead your team which often means you have to learn different ways to motivate different people. Assuming less dancing and jumping is less invested in the game is simply not a correct view of human behavior. It reminds me of church. Some people get the “juices” flowing at church. Some people just stand there with their eyes closed. Maybe they sing a little. Maybe they don’t. Is the preacher going to go up to those not jumping for joy and tell them they are going to Hell? If a player isn’t wired as the “Jump for Joy” type I can easily them forcing it to get a good grade, which again, leads to being equally, if not less, focused on the game. Or they don’t do it and get a bad grade and get discourage or jaded.

Animal02

Banned
There’s lots of former jocks around the country bloviating about football and displaying there ignorance on some aspects of the game. Former running backs that can only see things from a running back perspective and otherwise sound like any other average fan.

I still haven’t seen any actual quotes to change my mind. Can I count Laskey as one of the “not all?”
And then there are the former Tech players who privately disagree with the vocal public ones.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I get what he’s trying do as far as building the culture with the juice crew. He wants all of our guys to stay positive during adversity in the game and support the guys out on the field. He wants the guys on the sidelines to actually seem involved and seem to care. There have been times in games before (going back through multiple coaching regimes) where at times during the games it has felt like the fans cared more than the players. I remember one UGA game under CCG where, based on their demeanor, the sideline didn’t seem to even care their hated rivals were dominating them. I actually love the idea behind the juice crew. I love getting the whole team focused on the game and staying positive to help the guys on the field.

However, the execution in this idea seems flawed. One, the constant dancing and jumping around for the sake of being “juice” actually comes off equally (if not more) unfocused on the game. Dance when Tobias gets a first down on the potential game winning drive. Don’t dance as Lucas takes a sack the very next play(this actually happened). I don’t know if they are just trying to get a good grade and constantly dancing, but you can stay upbeat and energized on the sideline while also reacting to the game accordingly.

Two, I don’t know if I like the idea behind “grading” players on this. Everyone is different. Everyone will react to certain things differently. The number one job as a leader is to learn how to lead your team which often means you have to learn different ways to motivate different people. Assuming less dancing and jumping is less invested in the game is simply not a correct view of human behavior. It reminds me of church. Some people get the “juices” flowing at church. Some people just stand there with their eyes closed. Maybe they sing a little. Maybe they don’t. Is the preacher going to go up to those not jumping for joy and tell them they are going to Hell? If a player isn’t wired as the “Jump for Joy” type I can easily them forcing it to get a good grade, which again, leads to being equally, if not less, focused on the game. Or they don’t do it and get a bad grade and get discourage or jaded.

I mean we don't know what the grading criteria is. It could be as simple as "You were engaged or trying to pep up your teammates for 90% of plays, so you get an A-."

I don't know how I feel about grading it either, ideally this is something that would flow naturally. But if we're really going to be playing as many players and switching them up as often as we do (~23 played on D last Saturday), then taking extra steps to make sure as many people/parts of the team are engaged, focused, and ready isn't a bad strategy.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm talking about filthy Rap, and I do know that Rap artists are killed on a regular basis. The comparisons to Elvis and early Rock n Roll being equivalent to Rap, because grandparents of the day complained about his gyrating.....is dumber than the slobbering mutt on the sidelines in Athens. Rap is an order of magnitude worse than the most scandalous, at the time, music of the 50s/60s. Simplistically, writing this off as: Every generation complains about the younger set, is beyond absurd.

And yet, you loved "Elvis the Pelvis" and his gyrations that the Los Angeles vice squad filmed to ensure that he wasn't breaking the laws about "vulgarity". Now, you detest those younguns and their "vulgarity". It most definitely is about generations. You couldn't see the older generations point about Elvis, and now you can't see the younger generations point about rap.

GT_EE78

Banned
And yet, you loved "Elvis the Pelvis" and his gyrations that the Los Angeles vice squad filmed to ensure that he wasn't breaking the laws about "vulgarity". Now, you detest those younguns and their "vulgarity". It most definitely is about generations. You couldn't see the older generations point about Elvis, and now you can't see the younger generations point about rap.
Not comparable. Elvis never advocated drugs or violence in his music.