Josh Pastner?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Man. This link is NSFW Audio but so appropriate for this whole thread:

Some of you all say things that just can not be rationalized against your supposed support for our program.

CJP clearly made a mistake in getting involved with RB but c’mon man. He was an even younger coach when it happened who saw a guy broken and in total disrepair and took pity on him. Along the way he helped rehabilitate a guy who needed it. Should he have allowed such access to the program? Of course not, but hindsight is 20/20.

He has acknowledged his mistakes and seems to be doing everything possible to repair the damage done both to our school’s brand and his own. What does it say about MaTech if we kick him to the curb now?

Even if you can’t see this situation with compassion for the reality of the nightmare Coach is going through in his personal life due to this, at least be selfishly protective enough of the program to realize this is our best option for the next few years. We got little to no $ for a buyout and even less cachet to woo a new coach down here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-man44

Helluva Engineer

Some of you all say things that just can not be rationalized against your supposed support for our program.

CJP clearly made a mistake in getting involved with RB but c’mon man. He was an even younger coach when it happened who saw a guy broken and in total disrepair and took pity on him. Along the way he helped rehabilitate a guy who needed it. Should he have allowed such access to the program? Of course not, but hindsight is 20/20.

He has acknowledged his mistakes and seems to be doing everything possible to repair the damage done both to our school’s brand and his own. What does it say about MaTech if we kick him to the curb now?

Even if you can’t see this situation with compassion for the reality of the nightmare Coach is going through in his personal life due to this, at least be selfishly protective enough of the program to realize this is our best option for the next few years. We got little to no $ for a buyout and even less cachet to woo a new coach down here.

completely agree could you imagine how hard it would be to recruit a coach to replace a guy who was ACC coach of the year in his first year has an injury plagued 2nd season and then gets canned.

Deleted member 2897

This is a fantastic post. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

We need to be passionate, unapologetic, loyal defenders of this man and his family (and our team) until we are given any reason not to be.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There were great crowds to see us get our heads kicked in against both Duke and VT.

No doubt it's been a disastrous, lost season. The point I was making is that we are not going to be able to pay off a buyout with increased attendance. Unless it can be done for cause, firing talk at this point is silly IMO.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Umm. Attendance hasn't been a problem this year. Didn't we just have like 6 sellouts in a row?
We’ve averaged 6400 this year with a max capacity of 8600. I actiually had no idea attendance was that good nor our capacity that small. I figured we had a max capacity somewhere between 10 & 11k. Last year’s attendance was 6300, 5800 the year before & 6200 in 2014-15.

My point was find a coach that can fill the place up & you can afford his salary. I’ve got no idea what revenue looks like.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
We’ve averaged 6400 this year with a max capacity of 8600. I actiually had no idea attendance was that good nor our capacity that small. I figured we had a max capacity somewhere between 10 & 11k. Last year’s attendance was 6300, 5800 the year before & 6200 in 2014-15.

My point was find a coach that can fill the place up & you can afford his salary. I’ve got no idea what revenue looks like.
Who are we hiring even if the money was available. If we fire Pastner any sooner than year 5 good luck finding a coach willing to take on a rebuild where he has to look over his shoulder after every loss. Oh yeah and firing Pastner now most likely leads to transfers and decommitments which sets us back even farther you are so unrealistic.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

AMC held about 9,100 and when we redid McKamish, it reduced to about 8,600.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You guys that want to fire Pastner are absolutely crazy. Is the bad decision Pastners fault? Of course. Does it mean that Pastner has something to learn? Yes and I’m sure he did.

The man showed another person some kindness and that person ****ed him over. He could probably use our support as people try to burn his life to the ground.

Now, if there is some evidence that comes to light that shows Pastner is shady, by all means, fire him. Until then I support him.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Who are we hiring even if the money was available. If we fire Pastner any sooner than year 5 good luck finding a coach willing to take on a rebuild where he has to look over his shoulder after every loss. Oh yeah and firing Pastner now most likely leads to transfers and decommitments which sets us back even farther you are so unrealistic.
I wasn’t aware he had us by the balls that bad. Great position for him to be in, guaranteed employment.

Any financial wizards out there that can explain how Puke with slightly higher capacity can afford to pay rat faced rat $7M when we can only afford to pay Pastner $1M because we’re paying Bewitt $1M & Gregory another $1M as part of their buyouts? At some point the we can’t afford to compete BS needs to stop being a crutch.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Agree with those that think canning CJP at this time would be lunacy.

Heck, unless he broke some NCAA, Federal or State Laws not sure we can afford to fire him.

'cruitn and winnin' will resolve a lot of "issues".

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Go look at donations to the Iron Duke foundation. IIRC more than double our AT fund.
If you want tickets to Cameron you have to buy tickets to the FB team and make a contribution to the fund for both.
They fund 22 or so sports. We have something like 12.
They are also private and have ways to fund his contract we don't have. And they use him for a lot of Duke corporate functions as part of it.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree with those that think canning CJP at this time would be lunacy.

Heck, unless he broke some NCAA, Federal or State Laws not sure we can afford to fire him.

'cruitn and winnin' will resolve a lot of "issues".

Agree - plus my bet is that a lot of the smoke around his lawsuits is going to go away over the offseason without a lot of muss and fuss. PIA for sure but not a big deal unless there is something we don't know at this point. It is just another reason we really just need to get this season over with.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t aware he had us by the balls that bad. Great position for him to be in, guaranteed employment.

Any financial wizards out there that can explain how Puke with slightly higher capacity can afford to pay rat faced rat $7M when we can only afford to pay Pastner $1M because we’re paying Bewitt $1M & Gregory another $1M as part of their buyouts? At some point the we can’t afford to compete BS needs to stop being a crutch.
Because they aren’t paying him off of attendance. Duke has more money than god and lots of it is due to K and basketball. As was also said elsewhere as a private school they can do whatever they want with money they raise with no limitations from the state or other bodies. Not having the money to do whatever you want isn’t BS. If we had the cash we would have doubled our off field football staff years ago. We would also have been in position to hire a real coach instead of going cheap with Gregory. The only reason we could afford CJP is he came cheap because he wanted to get out of Memphis. If you are going to ***** about stuff you should at least take a minute to educate yourself.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Because they aren’t paying him off of attendance. Duke has more money than god and lots of it is due to K and basketball. As was also said elsewhere as a private school they can do whatever they want with money they raise with no limitations from the state or other bodies. Not having the money to do whatever you want isn’t BS. If we had the cash we would have doubled our off field football staff years ago. We would also have been in position to hire a real coach instead of going cheap with Gregory. The only reason we could afford CJP is he came cheap because he wanted to get out of Memphis. If you are going to ***** about stuff you should at least take a minute to educate yourself.
I get it now. We have to hope we catch lightning in a bottle because we’ll never be able to afford to compete. There’s no other way to do it at GT . We’re restricted to repeating the same process year after year hoping for a different result, praying for that once every 20-30 year miracle run.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This thread is ridiculous. We are not going to fire Pastner based on accusations by Bell & Pendley.

No one said we were. Folks took what I said and, instead of actually reading/understanding what I wrote, decided to clamp on the gold-colored glasses and circle the wagons around Pastner.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Just a nit in your point - the reason we got CJP is Memphis is paying us $1M per year of his salary rather than paying him the whole buyout. I think that ends next year?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I get it now. We have to hope we catch lightning in a bottle because we’ll never be able to afford to compete. There’s no other way to do it at GT . We’re restricted to repeating the same process year after year hoping for a different result, praying for that once every 20-30 year miracle run.

We circle the wagons for another 1 or maybe 2 years until Hewitt comes off the books. After that we are back in the legit coach market.
The impact of that buyout is why we held on to Hewitt for so long when it wasn't working. We knew it would be a *****.