Josh Pastner?

Deleted member 2897

One other thought I had this weekend - Okogie and Jackson. They are the 2 guys who got pulled in by *** ****hole**** which helped snowball all this garbage. I hope they are not feeling too guilty about all that, even though they were tricked. I hope the locker room is still tight.

Deleted member 2897

I exchanged messages with CJP recently - I knew R** B*** had lied and said he was fighting cancer to weasel into CJPs world, but CJP said that Jen***** He***** lied as well about fighting cancer. I didn't know that (may have just missed it in the news articles and what-not). Both of them are sociopaths. I wish an asteroid or something would knock them on their head and wake them up to this madness.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People i talked to that are Memphis fans liked him as a person, just didn't think he won enough. My colleague who is a Memphis grad calls him Opie or sometimes the boy scout and really liked him as an individual. He thought he was a poor fit for Memphis given his personality and how he wanted to run then program.
It took Memphis fans 5-6 yrs to turn on him. It's taken them 2 with Tubby, who they are hoping the big money guys will buyout this Spring (which is unlikely since it would be over $9MM).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
People i talked to that are Memphis fans liked him as a person, just didn't think he won enough. My colleague who is a Memphis grad calls him Opie or sometimes the boy scout and really liked him as an individual. He thought he was a poor fit for Memphis given his personality and how he wanted to run then program.
It took Memphis fans 5-6 yrs to turn on him. It's taken them 2 with Tubby, who they are hoping the big money guys will buyout this Spring (which is unlikely since it would be over $9MM).
Agreed. My only Memphis friend said pretty much the same thing. He was considered a good guy in a job where being a good guy was not necessarily a positive.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If a group of people that wanted to run you off because of professional differences are supporting you, that is a big vote of affirmation of his character.

I can relate. A couple folks here want to run me off because of professional differences in our ice cream choices but I'm still a good person ... right? :unsure:

It's funny with CPast. Everything he says comes across like he's naïve, to a degree, to some aspects of life. That's what makes it totally unbelievable that he'd do anything untoward as has been alleged.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming all the worst stuff is false, still a terrible idea to give this guy such extensive access to the program. That falls on Pastner.

If scandal impacts recruiting, it will show up in W-L record down the road. Sets up as a lose-lose for coach and the program.

Real long shot that Pastner can hold it together, upgrade the talent on the team, and win some games over the next few years. College basketball is tough enough without the distractions and you certainly don't need this type of issue during recruiting.

Note to coach - make friends with other coaches and legit people at the school.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Assuming all the worst stuff is false, still a terrible idea to give this guy such extensive access to the program. That falls on Pastner.

If scandal impacts recruiting, it will show up in W-L record down the road. Sets up as a lose-lose for coach and the program.

Real long shot that Pastner can hold it together, upgrade the talent on the team, and win some games over the next few years. College basketball is tough enough without the distractions and you certainly don't need this type of issue during recruiting.

Note to coach - make friends with other coaches and legit people at the school.
I think there is a real good shot he turns it around. The dude is coaching without a PG and being forced to play a true freshman 3 star pg (idc if he has over played the rating) to play 40 min a game in ACC play doesn't help Bagley and Wendell don't even do that. 2nd recruiting HAS seen an uptick you don't see Devoe asking out you in fact see 4 top 150 2019 prospects visiting THE WEEKEND THE STUFF BROKE. In fact Marcus Watson CANCELED another visit to visit tech with everyone.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The first two years we never, or should never, have been judged based on wins and losses. Last year was a great job not because of the record, which frankly is what we hsould expect our floor to be once we get back to a healthy program imo, but because of the improvement of several players, and the coaching that seemed to get most of the players. This year has not been nearly as good, even considering the injuries and the like. But it's been more of a mixed bag than downright bad coaching job imo. Changing the way that they used Gueye and his overall development was nice. I thought alverado developed nicely and was prepared for ACC play and Okogie has quietly improved into a true centerpiece of an ACC team caliber player. On the other hand I thought it was wrong to go to the short bench (and as such small line up) and not play Cole or Wright at all for a ~10 game stretch. Even that I understand the thinking but believe it wasn't the right approach. The off the court stuff sucks, but everything I've heard about Pastner makes me believe that the psycho is more of an exception rather than something we should expect. Although I still want to know what got DLab in trouble. To be that whole situation is the biggest black mark this year.

Going forward next year I'll be starting to have more expectations based on wins and losses, but it'll also be about how well I think the program is being set up for sustained success in the coming years.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I surely hope there is some form of karma for those fans who are dumping on CJP right now, at probably the toughest time and when the program needs support and not judgmental criticism.

Maybe the GTAA could take notes and when the program takes off and ticket demand soars, maybe these fans go to the back of the list. Ok, lousy idea....but still, geez folks.....man up a bit and wait and see how this whole thing develops.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I surely hope there is some form of karma for those fans who are dumping on CJP right now, at probably the toughest time and when the program needs support and not judgmental criticism.

Maybe the GTAA could take notes and when the program takes off and ticket demand soars, maybe these fans go to the back of the list. Ok, lousy idea....but still, geez folks.....man up a bit and wait and see how this whole thing develops.

I think it's more than fair to state that, if he hadn't had this turd around, none of this would be happening.

That is my beef and I don't think I'm a lousy fan because of it.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more than fair to state that, if he hadn't had this turd around, none of this would be happening.

That is my beef and I don't think I'm a lousy fan because of it.
I do. What do you want tech to do about it fire him with the money we don't have and have no one wanting to touch our program like last time? We got turned down by Wichita State's Dayton's and Valparaiso's head coaches you say that after Hewitt people would have been shocked. Georgia Techs reputation before last year was it was going to take AT LEAST 4-5 years to turn it around. Pastner (partially because Memphis fans were expecting him to recruit like Cal) took on the rebuild no one else would. Btw Vandy who fired their coach and hired the guy we wanted is 4-9 in the SEC 10-16 overall and that job was significantly better coming in. When comparing us to that doesn't look so bad.