JJ Green

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
It only makes perfect sense that Richt must have an open-door "out" policy on transfers to go with his open-door "in" recruiting.

This is exactly right. If Chubb wanted to transfer to Tech, does anyone really think that Richt would grant his release? That's more analogous to the Robert Carter transfer than Green's is.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly right. If Chubb wanted to transfer to Tech, does anyone really think that Richt would grant his release? That's more analogous to the Robert Carter transfer than Green's is.
Robert Carter's transfer was also shady as hell to begin with. I see no imperative for Tech coaches to willingly participate in such shenanigans. A policy which says, "ok, you can transfer to anyone that is not already scheduled to be playing us" is eminently reasonable and fair enough.

Anything more restrictive than that becomes troubling as punitive and bitter and anything more generous is not at all necessary and possibly an immoderate way to operate. Particularly when you actually are seeing that the kid is getting a world-class education and degree.

(btw, thanks for extracting my essential point in your quote . . . I am way too wordy in posts!)

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Actually, Carvell has done a relatively fair job of reporting on Tech recruiting over the past several months. But I DO imagine he was smiling big time as he wrote that.
You should read through his twitter, he negatively twist everything on tech. Any bad news on tech will be reported, any bad news on uga will not be reported. You wonder why uga fans are so ignorant.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I don't have any reason to doubt that. Do you? If you can show me examples in the past where Richt has limited transfer for star players but allowed depth chart guys to go anywhere they want, I will agree that is shady and a double standard. However, I am not aware of any evidence of that.

This may not apply, but aren't two recent starting QBs in the SEC guys that UGA kicked out of the program (LSU and Auburn)? It may be that schools have no control once they kick a player out of a program, but I don't know if that is the case. If they still have control, that would seem to suggest that UGA does't restrict big time recruits leaving either.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
This may not apply, but aren't two recent starting QBs in the SEC guys that UGA kicked out of the program (LSU and Auburn)? It may be that schools have no control once they kick a player out of a program, but I don't know if that is the case. If they still have control, that would seem to suggest that UGA does't restrict big time recruits leaving either.

I think if you dismiss a player from your program, they can go wherever they want. If not, I would certainly stand corrected, though.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised or upset if Richt played it like every other HC and restricted rivals. It's understandable not to want players to go to rival schools. But he doesn't. It isn't Tech's responsibility to match Richt's graciousness.
More sour grapes from Carvell. What else is new?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think Richt takes the high road on transfers (actually UGA does this overall I believe so may not simply be his policy) because it is expedient for him to do so. He needs the open door out policy to create the kind of turnover necessary to compete with the more "typical" factories as far as head coach behavior goes.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Richt's policy to allow any player to transfer anywhere isn't some saintly act. Quite frankly it is idiotic. There is a reason that almost no other programs in the country do the same thing. It puts your program at a disadvantage for almost no reason.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am a bit confused. Hasn't Dowdle worked for UGA for years or decades now? Just like Randy Waters has for Tech? They came from local sports news broadcasting, and still do work in that capacity somewhat, but both have also clearly been associated with and worked for the broadcast of the local college teams respectively. So I am confused at the attacks on Dowdle here as supposed to be objective when he and Waters are clearly tied to a specific state program.

Sshhh...they're on a roll....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Check out the UGA game pics on the main page of this site. There's a nice shot of him on the UGA sidelines with his subtle GA red. I believe it's the shot of Austin recovering the onside kick.
georgia_tech_at_georgia_0143.jpg