JJ Green

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I believe he did...And, best I can recall, has always been a dwag and never put up appearance of being impartial/unbiased.
He's two bit local media, I have no problem with him being partial to his alma mater. Heck, even the national media guys Herbsteit and Holtz lean towards their respective schools. Luginbutt, on the other hand.......

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He's two bit local media, I have no problem with him being partial to his alma mater. Heck, even the national media guys Herbsteit and Holtz lean towards their respective schools. Luginbutt, on the other hand.......

Luginbull does indeed lean to his school. You just forgot that his school is EZU. I don't claim that clown.

( :rolleyes: Now I'm gonna get blasted by all his friends that claim he's such a good guy, misunderstood, etc.)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A lot being said on this thread that I agree with. I will make my 2 cents worth short. Green is allowed, as a young man, to make mistakes and learn from them. He did not screw around with Tech. He made the best decision he knew how to make at the time.

Douglas, on the other hand, is not someone who dealt honestly with us in the recruiting process. I still do not blame him for going to Georgia, I just do not want him in our program. We can do much better with kids who really want to be here.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Very glad to get Green. Having AB's who are top level (like Godhigh, Smith, Allen) again just makes it that much more impossible to stop. Our AB's this year have been good and productive, but they haven't been game changers who could beat defenses on their own. I'm excited about what we've got in the pipelines at AB. Wish we could play him this year as we'll be relying on freshmen in the 2-deep, but am glad he will bring some age and veteran presence to that group and balance the numbers some.

If Douglas is happy, you can't say he made a mistake, but just looking at it from a football fan's perspective, he made a big mistake. I still think he would be a stud in our offense ... would be perfect for it and would have a chance to really be a star. Instead, he's a bench warmer (does he even play special teams? If not, why not?). It would've put us in much better shape too. At the very least, we wouldn't be relying on true freshmen next year. If he changed his mind and wanted to transfer here, I'd still take him in a heartbeat.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Looks like UGA's position with regards to transfers to Tech is not only non-hypocritical, but Bobinski has now agreed to allow all athletes to transfer to UGA if they want to as well, so long as there is no illegal recruiting/tampering with a current athlete before permission to speak is granted:
http://ugasports.blog.ajc.com/2014/12/09/ten10-tech-uga-opening-doors-to-cross-rival-transfers/

As much as I would hate to see Tech players transfer to UGA, as I said before, I think allowing free transfers is the right policy and what is ultimately best for the kids. Trust me, I hate UGA as much as the next Tech fan, but I don't buy into the whole paranoid "they allow free transfers so they can kick kids out of the program easier" conspiracy theory. In football at least, it would seem this mutual transfer policy would work more to Tech's advantage than UGA's on average anyway.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I could care less what the pups do. That should not dictate our policy at all. They have dictated too much to us as it is. Did away with the BB neutral site game, kept us out of the Preseason Kickoff classic, arranged their schedule to have an easy game before us, on and on.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looks like UGA's position with regards to transfers to Tech is not only non-hypocritical, but Bobinski has now agreed to allow all athletes to transfer to UGA if they want to as well, so long as there is no illegal recruiting/tampering with a current athlete before permission to speak is granted:
http://ugasports.blog.ajc.com/2014/12/09/ten10-tech-uga-opening-doors-to-cross-rival-transfers/

As much as I would hate to see Tech players transfer to UGA, as I said before, I think allowing free transfers is the right policy and what is ultimately best for the kids. Trust me, I hate UGA as much as the next Tech fan, but I don't buy into the whole paranoid "they allow free transfers so they can kick kids out of the program easier" conspiracy theory. In football at least, it would seem this mutual transfer policy would work more to Tech's advantage than UGA's on average anyway.

This.

People forget that these SAs are people, and they should have the opportunity to do what makes them happy. I don't think it's fair for a coach or a school to dictate where an SA can or can not go. As long as everything is handled above board, there shouldn't be any problems.

I wrote this in another thread, but a way for the NCAA and colleges to handle a situation where a kid transfers to a rival or inter-conference school is do what Soccer (or futbol) teams do in loan situations. Let the player play, but they have to sit out against the original team if they face them. They should be able to play immediately. Say the player has to sit that one game out for 2 years. I think that's fair for everyone involved.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm fine allowing transfers to the cesspool. We kinda lost Quincy Carter to em and that ended up being a net positive imo...that's the only player (never suited up for us mind you) that I can recall going to uga after committing to us. Doubt we ever lose many if any to em.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Luginbull does indeed lean to his school. You just forgot that his school is EZU. I don't claim that clown.

( :rolleyes: Now I'm gonna get blasted by all his friends that claim he's such a good guy, misunderstood, etc.)
Your post includes a big assumption.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This.

People forget that these SAs are people, and they should have the opportunity to do what makes them happy. I don't think it's fair for a coach or a school to dictate where an SA can or can not go. As long as everything is handled above board, there shouldn't be any problems.

I wrote this in another thread, but a way for the NCAA and colleges to handle a situation where a kid transfers to a rival or inter-conference school is do what Soccer (or futbol) teams do in loan situations. Let the player play, but they have to sit out against the original team if they face them. They should be able to play immediately. Say the player has to sit that one game out for 2 years. I think that's fair for everyone involved.
I actually disagree. There is nothing wrong with telling a kid who you have invested hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into that they can't transfer to a very small number of schools that would hurt us competitively. You aren't ruining the kids life. He can still transfer to well over 100 other schools. These types of restrictions are seen in college sports, professional sports, and even the business world on a daily basis.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I actually disagree. There is nothing wrong with telling a kid who you have invested hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into that they can't transfer to a very small number of schools that would hurt us competitively. You aren't ruining the kids life. He can still transfer to well over 100 other schools. These types of restrictions are seen in college sports, professional sports, and even the business world on a daily basis.
Agree 100%.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
my only thought is that schools should have a clear consistent policy. The policy would be public knowledge during recruitment. I doubt many kids think about switching schools initially, but should their situation lead them to want to change schools they should be referred to the school's policy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Sorry, if the NCAA is out there espousing the sanctity of "amateurism" and the best interest of the SAs...then there's a difference. The difference between PROFESSIONAL sports and the business world (where employees are PROFESSIONALS) is the exact difference the NCAA is trying to make regarding trying to keep the SAs from getting paid or commercializing their likeness. Professional athletes sign a contract, and you as an employee signed a contract to work...so there's the difference. As long as the NCAA is doing that, I see no reason why SAs who only get 1 year renewable scholarship should be tied down multiple years because the school or coach has the ability to. The school invests money and time into an athlete on an annual basis, and the athlete returns that time and money by performing on the field. The school receives their return every year. Quid-pro-quo. Now if a school guarantees an SA a full 4 year scholarship, then I can see the argument...but it's not the case right now. If you don't see the inequality in that I don't know what to tell you.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Two good arguments here.

Seems to me if a coach can go anywhere he wants and a player can't, that's the main thing I would have a problem with (just moral inconsistency). If there was a way to limit the way a coach can change jobs akin to limiting an SA's transfer options, that would make more sense.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
He played basketball at UGA as a freshman and sophomore, then transferred to Ga State to play baseball. He doesn't hide being a UGA Homer. Check his FB picture -
upload_2014-12-11_14-39-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-11_14-38-16.png
    upload_2014-12-11_14-38-16.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 32