JJ Green

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Two good arguments here.

Seems to me if a coach can go anywhere he wants and a player can't, that's the main thing I would have a problem with (just moral inconsistency). If there was a way to limit the way a coach can change jobs akin to limiting an SA's transfer options, that would make more sense.
I thought the "buyout" clause was reciprocal? Didn't O'Leary owe us a bunch of money when he jumped ship to ND and didn't he welch on it because he got canned before ND paid it?

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
How did they keep us out of the Preseason Kickoff classic? That's new to me.

My understanding was that we were in negotiations to play UGA in the Preseason Kickoff one year instead of at the end of the year, and it was a year we were scheduled to be the home team. Our proposal was to treat the Kickoff game as a neutral site game, and the following year the game would be at Boddy Dodd. This was essentially an attempt on our part to split the Clemson and UGA homes games into alternating years. UGA said they would play us in the Kickoff game but insisted that it be considered our home game rotation in the series and thus we would be back in Athens the next year, therefore no benefit to us. We said no to that and thus ended up playing at Clemson in back to back years to get our desired Clemson/UGA separation.

techfan509

Georgia Tech Fan
Very glad to get Green. Having AB's who are top level (like Godhigh, Smith, Allen) again just makes it that much more impossible to stop. Our AB's this year have been good and productive, but they haven't been game changers who could beat defenses on their own. I'm excited about what we've got in the pipelines at AB. Wish we could play him this year as we'll be relying on freshmen in the 2-deep, but am glad he will bring some age and veteran presence to that group and balance the numbers some.

If Douglas is happy, you can't say he made a mistake, but just looking at it from a football fan's perspective, he made a big mistake. I still think he would be a stud in our offense ... would be perfect for it and would have a chance to really be a star. Instead, he's a bench warmer (does he even play special teams? If not, why not?). It would've put us in much better shape too. At the very least, we wouldn't be relying on true freshmen next year. If he changed his mind and wanted to transfer here, I'd still take him in a heartbeat.
Happy New Year everyone. I was ecstatic when I heard that JJ was transferring to Tech. I watched this kid all through HS at Camden County. The Wing-T is very similar to the Triple Option which is ideal for his running style. If he breaks the edge not too many DB's are gonna stop him. UGA totally underutilized his abilities. He's listed at 185 lbs but he runs bigger. He is a punishing runner. He's also a heckuva receiver (slot or out of the backfield). I'm looking forward to 2016 when he's eligible to play, I think hes gonna be a major play maker and from what his uncle told me, if he gets the opportunity he's gonna make UGA pay.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
AFAIK, this is still America and any student can, if academically qualified, transfer to any school they want. Yes, there are rules about sitting out a year, but that is different from not being allowed to transfer.

The kicker, again AFAIK, is about receiving scholarship help. But a kid can go to whatever school they want, just not necessarily be released for ship purposes from their original school. They would have to pay for school themselves during that sit out year.

Anyone?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
AFAIK, this is still America and any student can, if academically qualified, transfer to any school they want. Yes, there are rules about sitting out a year, but that is different from not being allowed to transfer.

The kicker, again AFAIK, is about receiving scholarship help. But a kid can go to whatever school they want, just not necessarily be released for ship purposes from their original school. They would have to pay for school themselves during that sit out year.

Anyone?
I wonder if there may be something in their contract with their original school requiring them to pay back the amount of scholarship already received if they do not abide by the transfer rules the school decides to employ if they are to be "released".

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if there may be something in their contract with their original school requiring them to pay back the amount of scholarship already received if they do not abide by the transfer rules the school decides to employ if they are to be "released".

Good question. I assume not but IDK.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
As an ex-player you would know better than myself but I would be very surprised if such stipulations could or would be placed in the scholarship contracts student-athletes sign.

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My understanding is that Mr. Green is from a good family and did what he could at UGA but the fact is that he is built to be an A back not a traditional tail back. So let him come. I am sure he will be an excellent addition to our team. He has speed, elusiveness and toughness from playing both offense and defense at Georgia. Welcome and learn what the good word is!

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Such a provision would necessarily imply that the athlete received compensation. Do not think that would fly.

techfan509

Georgia Tech Fan
My understanding is that Mr. Green is from a good family and did what he could at UGA but the fact is that he is built to be an A back not a traditional tail back. So let him come. I am sure he will be an excellent addition to our team. He has speed, elusiveness and toughness from playing both offense and defense at Georgia. Welcome and learn what the good word is!
You're 100% correct. It pi--ed me off the way UGA didn't utilize his abilities. They would run Douglas to the outside and JJ up the gut, even still he was averaging bout 6 yards a carry last season. I'm telling ya, in the Triple Option offense he's gonna put up some good numbers. JJ is a back that the stronger and harder he runs. I am so glad that he transferred to Tech, I think he's gonna shine in this offense. I may be a little partial to JJ because I know him and his uncle is a friend, but I'm telling this kid has got talent.

megatron

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it official that he is coming here? It's kinda died down since all off the press a couple of weeks ago. I guess everything gets finalized when classes start? On Monday?

techfan509

Georgia Tech Fan
Is it official that he is coming here? It's kinda died down since all off the press a couple of weeks ago. I guess everything gets finalized when classes start? On Monday?
He's definitely coming. He'll be redshirted next year due to losing a year of NCAA eligibility for transferring. I can't wait til the 2016 season, JJ is gonna light it up. Look at his high school videos on YouTube, also look up JJ Green "The Big Hit. He will lay the wood.