Jeff Sims

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Joe Hamilton did not break out until his junior year... But then we had Friedge.

I do feel bad for Sims. The OL cannot give him more than 2 seconds before he has to start running for his life, a la Justin Thomas in 2015. As great as Justin was in 2014, we saw pretty quickly that you need more than 2 seconds.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
Accurate throws, no turnovers, long drives with scores… even extending drives with his legs! Uh ohh… makes you wonder….😉

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
126 yards on 28 attempts with a pick and a fumble won’t win in the ACC.
Fumble was on the last play basically not much he could do, and what else is he suppsoe to do no oen is blockign for long enough to throw down field and if even one of those short throws to gibbs went for 71 his numbers would have looked like a typical sims day.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Fumble was on the last play basically not much he could do, and what else is he suppsoe to do no oen is blocking for long enough to throw down field and if even one of those short throws to gibbs went for 71 his numbers would have looked like a typical sims day.
I think we're circling around the issue

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well Yates got his second chance people have been clamoring for.

17-28 (60.7%) for 126 yards (4.5 per attempt) 1 TD, 1 INT. 12 rushes for 47 yards with 1 TD. the fumble at the end doesn't really matter similar to his one against Clemson or the Sims INT again VT I believe.

Yates would be a solid, serviceable QB if everything else was good. If our D could get stops so we could play the field position game, our OL allowed us to primarily run the ball, and he had to be just good enough to keep teams honest. Unfortunately our Defense is a sieve, our OL is inconsistent if we're being kind, and field position game is borderline useless. So we need a playmaker instead of a game manager even if that means riskier plays.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our line blocked well early and then they started overloading the gaps with rushers. We couldn't hold them and only one back to stay in to block. We can usually slow a rusher but not keep them out. When they knew we had to throw it was all over. This was against a second year head coach. Lots better job than what we got after 3.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

17-28 (60.7%) for 126 yards (4.5 per attempt) 1 TD, 1 INT. 12 rushes for 47 yards with 1 TD. the fumble at the end doesn't really matter similar to his one against Clemson or the Sims INT again VT I believe.

Yates would be a solid, serviceable QB if everything else was good. If our D could get stops so we could play the field position game, our OL allowed us to primarily run the ball, and he had to be just good enough to keep teams honest. Unfortunately our Defense is a sieve, our OL is inconsistent if we're being kind, and field position game is borderline useless. So we need a playmaker instead of a game manager even if that means riskier plays.
1st half Yates looked great. 2nd half not so much. And not in his numbers are another 1 or 2 intercepting that were dropped fortunately

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Listen, Sims was given an entire season to progress last year and one of his best games was his first start against FSU. You give Yates a season worth of reps and he’d be way ahead of where either of them are. But don’t worry, Yates should graduate and transfer to a real coach. Sims will be our starter next year and we’ll still be watching his senior year in high school.

slugboy

Staff member
We gave up 52 to Pitt, 27 to Duke, 48 to UVA, 26 to VT, 33 to Miami, and 41 to BC.
We scored 21, 31, 40, 17, 30, and 30. Normally, I’d look at that offensive output and think “we won 3 or 4 out of 6”. But not many teams beat 52, 48, 33, and 41.
If you like Yates, 30 points was enough to win a reasonable game. It was also what we scored against Miami with Sims.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Agree with all this. Yates isn't gonna kill us but he isn't gonna win for us either. But whether it is Sims or Yates, QB is actually pretty far down the list of issues to even argue about. Nobody is gonna win with the rest of our game being in complete disarray.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I see with Yates is he doesn't have the arm strength of Sims but accuracy and good reads can overcome that. I don't have a problem with either of them. I question the play calling at times. We don't seem to look for the soft spots and then go after them to force adjustments to open up other things. We need to score a lot of points with this defense. BC seemed to know they could throw for 3rd and long first downs all day. No sweat. It was tough to watch today.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Was at the game to see it up close yesterday. Jordan has trouble finding throwing lanes in the pocket because of his height. There, I said it. That's why Sims is starting. Yates made some great plays pulling it down and running, some good dump downs under pressure, but he can't get the line of sight or arm angle on a lot of throws, or hasn't learned to use touch to compensate. Should have had 3 picks yesterday.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I just want us to win. I don't care if we bring in Trad Beatty at this point.

That and our OL made BC look like they had 4 draft picks on DL yesterday during passing downs. Run blocking was okay, but we just got physically WHIPPED in pass pro.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We gave up 52 to Pitt, 27 to Duke, 48 to UVA, 26 to VT, 33 to Miami, and 41 to BC.
We scored 21, 31, 40, 17, 30, and 30. Normally, I’d look at that offensive output and think “we won 3 or 4 out of 6”. But not many teams beat 52, 48, 33, and 41.
If you like Yates, 30 points was enough to win a reasonable game. It was also what we scored against Miami with Sims.
Yates didn’t lead us to 30, he led us to 23