Jeff Sims

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What worries me is that how “close” we are is things the staff is doing wrong. I could make an argument that we could have won 2-3 other games the past two years without head scratching game management decisions (clock management, blown timeouts, decisions to go/not go). Even if we turn the corner those situations will always be there and will often be the difference between a win and a loss. I haven’t seen anything to make me think these types of issues are going to get better.

Now that (game management) is a specific skill that, imo, could be easily acquired to offset a staff deficiency. Game management should and could be delegated if that is identified as a barrier to success. The object is to win the game. How you arrange coaching duties/responsibilities is only a means to an end. Honestly I do not know how the good ones can do that (think under those kinds of 30 second time constraints) but, on the other hand, I haven't made it my life's work either.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Now that (game management) is a specific skill that, imo, could be easily acquired to offset a staff deficiency. Game management should and could be delegated if that is identified as a barrier to success. The object is to win the game. How you arrange coaching duties/responsibilities is only a means to an end. Honestly I do not know how the good ones can do that (think under those kinds of 30 second time constraints) but, on the other hand, I haven't made it my life's work either.
The major thing that is bothering me about CGC is his self perception and awareness. Is he going to have to be told by TStan that game management, etc. are areas that must be addressed to save his job ? Or will he realize that on his own , and know HOW to fix them ? His comments about the "high level" that his defense was playing at during last Saturday's game is not the first time that has made me wonder if he is living in some sort of altered reality. To me , at times, it seems like all the hype he spews is his way of avoiding the real issue with his team........

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Because rolling out cuts off half the field, and realistically more like 2/3rds of the field. If you only ever use the roll out to pass then you're extremely limited in what you can do from a route standpoint.

I wish someone had told BC that on Saturday. It was quite frustrating how many times I watched their QB roll out to the right, stand there for a bit before scanning back to his left and hitting the guy wide open down the sidelines. You could feel it coming as soon as he started rolling out wide right. Just giving the WR more time to get even more open.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it’s quite funny actually. Back then the story was:

“well the offense can’t score in 2 minutes” (neither can this one - or frankly not often any other time)

I looked this up earlier out of curiosity. Before the game we were #118 out of 130 in red zone TD%…i think we were 3-5 in that department yesterday, so it should improve, but even that clip would land us at about 70th nationally.
1637085240449.png

Here are the average minutes to score in each game (helps so we can see the effect of which QB is playing).

For comparison, the rest of college football is averaging 2.4 minutes per scoring drive against FBS opponents.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
View attachment 11597
Here are the average minutes to score in each game (helps so we can see the effect of which QB is playing).

For comparison, the rest of college football is averaging 2.4 minutes per scoring drive against FBS opponents.
Not questioning the data nor your presentation, but doesn't the style of an offense impact this greatly? A CPJ offense may take longer than 4 minutes per scoring drive but be extremely efficient. By the same measure, Coastal Carolina may have drives in less that a minute. But, it is clear Yates was not getting us down the field as quickly on our scoring drives.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not questioning the data nor your presentation, but doesn't the style of an offense impact this greatly? A CPJ offense may take longer than 4 minutes per scoring drive but be extremely efficient. By the same measure, Coastal Carolina may have drives in less that a minute. But, it is clear Yates was not getting us down the field as quickly on our scoring drives.
The original statement that spurred this data request was
“well the offense can’t score in 2 minutes” (neither can this one - or frankly not often any other time)
(I'm sure it was hyperbole). My assumption was that quick scoring was not actually an issue for us.

I don't really care how long it takes for us to score, but I thought it would be a fun exercise to see what the data showed for us this year. I was not expecting to see such a discrepancy with Yates at the helm.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The original statement that spurred this data request was (I'm sure it was hyperbole). My assumption was that quick scoring was not actually an issue for us.

I don't really care how long it takes for us to score, but I thought it would be a fun exercise to see what the data showed for us this year. I was not expecting to see such a discrepancy with Yates at the helm.

Did you only include the scoring drives or did you factor in the stalled drives as well?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Did you only include the scoring drives or did you factor in the stalled drives as well?
Here is average drive length when including non-scores:
1637092674076.png

Your question did make me realize though that I accidentally forgot to only include scoring drives when looking at all teams data
Average Scoring Drive length for all teams (minus Georgia Tech): 3.05 min
Average drive total: 2.42 min

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In an aggregate, it wouldn't matter. You are raising the total time but only allowing for the scoring drives.
I am not doing: Total time of possession/TDs and FGs

I ran a query that returned the elapsed time of each drive. So I retrieved all drives from GT this year (minus ND since espn doesn't have that data). Filtered for only scoring drives, then read the "elapsed time" field for each drive. I grouped the results by opponent and found the mean of the elapsed drive time.

Total time of possession for the game was never considered.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The best thing Collins has done is bring choice on board. Without choice I doubt we’d have Gibbs. Without choice I think the
only position room worth a damn would be in a shambles with some other coach picked by Collins. Too bad choice is not ready to be a college head coach. Or is he…