Jeff Sims

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Mmmmm...I don't think that's true, no.
yeah, it pretty much was. UNC showed how to stifle Yates. Would he have adapted? Maybe. Not sure. But the way UNC chose to defend him was successful in stymieing his ability to move the ball. That game showed the limitations in Yates's game. There was a reason Sims came in and hasn't been taken out yet. Some of you think you know more than our coaches. That's just something I struggle with when it involves highly intelligent people. We don't know more than our coaches.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. Some of you think you know more than our coaches. That's just something I struggle with when it involves highly intelligent people. We don't know more than our coaches.
I think the Dunning Kruger effect gives a perfect and valid explanation as to why so many fans think they know more than the coaches do. This is not specific to GT either. If you don't know what it is, I think it would be worth your time to research it. It will end the struggle you reference in the post I have quoted.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
yeah, it pretty much was. UNC showed how to stifle Yates. Would he have adapted? Maybe. Not sure. But the way UNC chose to defend him was successful in stymieing his ability to move the ball. That game showed the limitations in Yates's game. There was a reason Sims came in and hasn't been taken out yet. Some of you think you know more than our coaches. That's just something I struggle with when it involves highly intelligent people. We don't know more than our coaches.
Should we shut down the board then? What discussion is relevant if we aren't qualified to discuss anything going on on the field? We can't even discuss uniforms anymore. None of us are fashion experts.

slugboy

Staff member
Here he is right in the middle of the chart. It’s “expected points” and we’ve had some trouble scoring.
Think of it this way: he has a lot of upside. There is a lot that he can improve, and some of it isn’t that hard—it’s coachable. There have been blocking problems that we should be able to improve—and he is one of the best QBs in the conference when he has protection.
Before any of those areas are addressed, including some that aren’t under his control, he’s average. This should get better. If we’re lucky, much better.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Completions to the other team aren’t really completions.
Jeez. The way some of y'all **** on a kid who is in his 2nd year and has clearly improved to a 62% completion rate is really something.

Definitely has room for improvement but it almost sounds like y'all are trash talking an opponent's QB....but no, it's ours. smh

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Pick a game Yates would’ve led us to victory post KSU
Who knows who he WOULD have beaten, because he hasn't been given the chance. I was objecting to this statement that you made:

"Lol…. Yates showed vs. UNC that what provided [sic] wouldn’t be enough to be [sic] anyone else on schedule"

I do not think he "showed" in the limited time he was in there that he couldn't "beat anyone else on the schedule". I think the statement makes a ridiculous and unsubstantiated assumption and is very disrespectful toward Yates and his abilities. I'm not saying he's the best guy for the job, but I am saying your statement jumps to a broad conclusion based on a very narrow example. The cherry-picked example does not support the conclusion, or come anywhere close to doing so.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Who knows who he WOULD have beaten, because he hasn't been given the chance. I was objecting to this statement that you made:

"Lol…. Yates showed vs. UNC that what provided [sic] wouldn’t be enough to be [sic] anyone else on schedule"

I do not think he "showed" in the limited time he was in there that he couldn't "beat anyone else on the schedule". I think the statement makes a ridiculous and unsubstantiated assumption and is very disrespectful toward Yates and his abilities. I'm not saying he's the best guy for the job, but I am saying your statement jumps to a broad conclusion based on a very narrow example. The cherry-picked example does not support the conclusion, or come anywhere close to doing so.

It's no more disrespectful than what some are saying about Sims. We are just talking football and what we see. Everyone should appreciate both guys, but Yates had enough drives to try and put up a TD against a Power 5 opponent and he didn't. With a decent O -line and good defense? I believe we could win with a dink and dunk, ball control offense with Yates. As it stands, Sims gives us our only chance to win, IMO

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's no more disrespectful than what some are saying about Sims. We are just talking football and what we see. Everyone should appreciate both guys, but Yates had enough drives to try and put up a TD against a Power 5 opponent and he didn't. With a decent O -line and good defense? I believe we could win with a dink and dunk, ball control offense with Yates. As it stands, Sims gives us our only chance to win, IMO
Absolutely true that it's no more disrespectful than what some are saying about Sims.

Absolutely unproven that "Sims gives us our only chance to win". You are saying that if Yates plays four quarters against any of our remaining four opponents, that we would have no chance to win. None, zero. That assumes facts not in evidence and I severely doubt that it is true. And you might be proven wrong, if Yates gets a chance. I hope he doesn't, but only because I hope Sims is healthy and plays so well that he never sees the field. And I'll bet Yates hopes the same, because he's a team player.

And you neglected to mention that most of his playing time against an unnamed "power 5 opponent", when he failed to register a TD, was spent against the Clemson defense.

Last edited:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is saying that QB play is the biggest problem or the only problem. There are other threads about how bad the defense is, how our S&C needs to improve, how our OL needs to improve, how our play calling needs to improve and how our coaches need to do better in general. There are plenty of things to talk about when your team is this bad.
The entire point of this thread being made was about how someone thought Sims is playing poorly.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the Dunning Kruger effect gives a perfect and valid explanation as to why so many fans think they know more than the coaches do. This is not specific to GT either. If you don't know what it is, I think it would be worth your time to research it. It will end the struggle you reference in the post I have quoted.
I know it’s not exclusive to GT. I actually think it might be less at GT than other schools, but maybe I’m wrong.

That’s why I said highly intelligent. I expect that from knuckle staggers.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
At the end of the VT game, they were rushing 3 and getting almost immediate pressure on the Sims. Early in the game on many of his drop backs, by the time Sims got to is plant foot he was dealing with pressure from the edge w/ no time to make reads or get set for a throw. I'm not sure either QB is going to be successful in that scenario. And its not new to this game!

Despite our schedule being VERY soft our offense has been average to bad in every game but UVA and UNC (we benefited from Defense generating 3 TO's as well in that one. Sims had less than 250 yds of total O). Can't say "we scored 31 on Duke was good, that is average to bad against their defense. We scored the fewest points against them in their last 5 games.

It all starts at the offensive line. I don't think either QB is setup for success by a combination of OL and playcalling.

That said - If Sims can build and get more consistent (he tends to go hot and cold, both Duke and UVA he had long lulls where he misses passes) he clearly has more upside. It would be interesting to see how it worked to put Yates in for a series or two when Sims hits a rough patch.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the VT game, they were rushing 3 and getting almost immediate pressure on the Sims. Early in the game on many of his drop backs, by the time Sims got to is plant foot he was dealing with pressure from the edge w/ no time to make reads or get set for a throw. I'm not sure either QB is going to be successful in that scenario. And its not new to this game!

Despite our schedule being VERY soft our offense has been average to bad in every game but UVA and UNC (we benefited from Defense generating 3 TO's as well in that one. Sims had less than 250 yds of total O). Can't say "we scored 31 on Duke was good, that is average to bad against their defense. We scored the fewest points against them in their last 5 games.

It all starts at the offensive line. I don't think either QB is setup for success by a combination of OL and playcalling.

That said - If Sims can build and get more consistent (he tends to go hot and cold, both Duke and UVA he had long lulls where he misses passes) he clearly has more upside. It would be interesting to see how it worked to put Yates in for a series or two when Sims hits a rough patch.
The definition of playing youngsters, inconsistency. It is also the reason youngsters, with tremendous upside, play over less talented but more experienced players.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have won one game that Sims started this year and we needed a good bit of luck to win that one. Neither of our QBs are good enough to lead us to wins. We have too many other problems.

Given that there are other problems (and the magnitude of them) I don't think there is a QB alive and playing on Saturdays who could overcome them. I think if those other issues were addressed, most especially the OL, we have plenty of QB talent to win against the competition we face week in and week out,

kalld12

Banned
So Sims sucks is what I’m reading. Lol GTFO

Jesus, if Trevor Lawrence had to work with this offensive line his numbers would be bad too.

QB play isn’t really the problem, O line and not getting teams off the field on D is. Sims, CDP and the entire O are letting the **** defensive play get into their heads. They know they have to be perfect because if they’re not they know the D won’t do anything to help out!
Calm down buddy! No one is saying that, all were asking for more consistent QB play.

Last edited: