Jeff Sims

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you fail to see that turnovers are contributing to us struggling to win games then I cant help you. Yeah our D stinks, but we need a QB who takes care of the ball. Whether that's Sims or Yates idc, i'm tired of seeing us throw pick 6's and balls into triple coverage.

Ya'll obviously have more patience and hope than I.
I think we should be playing both QB's. There are games that I understand why Sims started, but fail to understand why he finished or was not relieved at some point.
I was really hoping to see Yates early in the second half against VT.
But that having been said, I certainly haven't given up on Sims. I hope he can take better care of the ball in these last four games.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I would also argue that some of the turnovers are due to the fact that Sims knows the defense doesn't stop anyone.
This leading to him thinking he has to score every drive and take more risks.

This is exactly what is wrong in Kansas City on the NFL level. I am not sure the same thing is going on with Sims, but we have a back up that will make better decisions. When sims struggles you let the other guy take over.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll give you the facts... of 16 games Sims has played in while at Tech, he has 9 games of 2+ turnovers... so more than half the games he's played he's had more than 2 turnovers...

6-10 games his freshman year
3-6 games his *second* freshman year

AND 13 of the 16 games he has played in, he has at least one turnover...

too many turnovers will keep your defense on the field longer and wear them... and that doesn't help that its a mediocre (at best) defense anyways

Your facts seem to be a little off but that could just be in your wording. He's had 9 games of 2 or more TOs as you said. But he's only had 3 where he's had more than 2 turnovers. And all 3 of those were in the first 5 games he played (UCF, SYR and CLEM). Based on what I'm seeing he hasn't had more than 2 in a game since the CLEM game last year.

Like I said, may just be the wording but "2+" is not the same as "more than 2."

Looks like he averaged 1.8 TOs per game last year as a true freshman. He's averaging 1.33 TOs per game so far this year. For those claiming he turns the ball over 2+ times per game.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Your facts seem to be a little off but that could just be in your wording. He's had 9 games of 2 or more TOs as you said. But he's only had 3 where he's had more than 2 turnovers. And all 3 of those were in the first 5 games he played (UCF, SYR and CLEM). Based on what I'm seeing he hasn't had more than 2 in a game since the CLEM game last year.

Like I said, may just be the wording but "2+" is not the same as "more than 2."

Looks like he averaged 1.8 TOs per game last year as a true freshman. He's averaging 1.33 TOs per game so far this year. For those claiming he turns the ball over 2+ times per game.

Where is this data coming from? Are you only talking about interceptions?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. I believe it is a lot easier to gameplan a defense for a running quarterback (Sims) than someone that could pass.

Defensively, you can plan on stopping the run with a running quarterback and force the him to throw, and when they're not a accurate qb like Sims, your chances at winning are better.

Whereas, with a passing quarterback you have to plan on stopping the pass, but when you got rb's like Mason, Gibbs, Smith, you can't just focus on stopping the run bc you have to respect the pass.

Look at jalen smith and Alabama, uga was stopping the run and brought in tua second half, game over.
Lamar Jackson (very similar qb style) defenses stop their run and their offense is not any good.
I kinda agree with this. It's not a coincidence that Sims best game by far was when he came off the bench and the other team publicly admitted they didn't game plan for him. It feel like right now when teams game plan for him, it is mostly a plan to shut down the run and lure him into mistakes. For the most part that has worked against us.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Where is this data coming from? Are you only talking about interceptions?
Sims has played in 6 games this year and has 6 INT's, 1.33 T/game wouldn't just be from INTs. Those numbers would suggest he's lost 2 fumbles, which I think is accurate, one against NIU when he got hurt, and the other one was a botched exchange, which is equally on the RB. As some have said, there were two INTs that were wiped out by penalties, but so what? Penalties, good or bad, are part of the game.

1636050027859.png

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Sims has played in 6 games this year and has 6 INT's, 1.33 T/game wouldn't just be from INTs. Those numbers would suggest he's lost 2 fumbles, which I think is accurate, one against NIU when he got hurt, and the other one was a botched exchange, which is equally on the RB. As some have said, there were two INTs that were wiped out by penalties, but so what? Penalties, good or bad, are part of the game.

View attachment 11538
Sims lost the ball vs VT when hit frombehind when Cochran missed his block-I do believe.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sims lost the ball vs VT when hit frombehind when Cochran missed his block-I do believe.
So, I looked for fumbles lost and couldn't find the data. But, you're right. I remember that fumble. Those types of fumbles should be charged to the OL. No way a QB should expect that as he's getting ready to throw that early in the play. It still gets credited to Sims, so you're right.

Edit: I just saw on FOX Sports that he's credited with 3 fumbles this year. So a bad mesh, a blindside, and one I can't think of.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
So as you can see he is not doing so good in the turnover department. Getting a bit better than last year that is for sure, but still far from good.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He's a young QB learning as he goes. The coaches decided last year that they were going to take their lumps with him because he gave us the best chance to win. I think he still does. He's young and still makes bad decisions at times. Those are things most every young QB would experience if pressed into service behind a porous OL. I think I saw Paula and William start this past Saturday at guards. That's not a good sign in my opinion.

Back to Sims...in time those ill-advised throws will lessen and he'll have better numbers.
Ol injuries
Got to show the parents that player safety is number 1. Even doing the best u can reinjuries happen ( smith this year, cooper previous years) .

We should have stomped vt - who had few skill players.

Imo, from watching sidelines cooper and williams will back for ND and uga. I saw minihan get shoulder injured but he kept playing and his snaps looked good. If possible we need cooper to play against miami as he is a mauler.

Any rush up the middle gives sims issues.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not his peer. He's started 2 games in his entire career. Don't get me wrong, I love Jordan Yates. I've never said anything other than he has that "it" factor, where he's just a winner. However, he doesn't have the same tools Sims has. Does that mean he can't be more successful? Hell no. Yates has done more with less at every level he's played. He willed his HS team to the championship. I don't mind Yates getting PT, but that's a coaches' decision based on what they think is best for our chance to win. If they aren't playing Yates, it's because they think they've got a better chance with Jeff. I'll defer to the coaches that see them every day. There is truth to the old adage that "the back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team."