Jeff Sims - Not practicing with team - in rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Best case scenario, Sims gets surgery and remains with the team. If his injury is needing surgery for him to continue
Worst case and what seems the most likely is he gets the surgery and transfers

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
We can say what we want about Sims. But in my opinion, the entire Georgia Tech football entity (coaches, teammates, fans, boosters, athletic department, alumni, etc.) let him down during his career here. Probably one of the few student-athletes who actually regrets coming here. GT did nothing for this kid and his family except give him a good education. GT football quit on Jeff Sims before anything else happened. For him to even get a 6 figure NIL deal playing for this dumpster fire of a program says more about him than GT.

Sure, he wasn’t a great QB and had his flaws. But he’s damn sure a better QB than his coaches are coaches. And he’s a better QB than we are fans. Probably will have multiple FBS programs wanting him to switch places with their current QB. But I guarantee you no FBS AD would want to switch fan bases with us. IIWII.
No one has let Sims down here except perhaps the head coach that got fired & I am not syre he did. All the coaches wanted him to be succesful. GT football did not quit on Sims .Sims is a better qb than we are fans ? Not hardly I have given 60 years as a GT fan this kid has been here 3 or is it 4 years? And a lot of that time GT has struggled but I remained a fan. He will probably have multiple FBS programs wanting him? We will just have to wait & see on that question I suppose.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
saying he isn’t as good as nesbitt, justin thomas or joe hamilton is pretty pointless to say considering that applies to about 99% of the qbs that have played at georgia tech and honestly many other schools in college football.

that statement is a pretty far cry from questioning his character and saying he should be at an FCS school
Which I never said. (FWIW, Nesbitt couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but he made up for it on the ground.)

And yes, those are the elite Tech QB's...but remember, folks are touting a 4* athlete who never measured up.

If they want to say he's "all that", well...compared to whom?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
No one has let Sims down here except perhaps the head coach that got fired & I am not syre he did. All the coaches wanted him to be succesful. GT football did not quit on Sims .Sims is a better qb than we are fans ? Not hardly I have given 60 years as a GT fan this kid has been here 3 or is it 4 years? And a lot of that time GT has struggled but I remained a fan. He will probably have multiple FBS programs wanting him? We will just have to wait & see on that question I suppose.
If we’re ranking current FBS QBs and current FBS fan bases, where would you estimate Sims and Tech are?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
And yes, those are the elite Tech QB's...but remember, folks are touting a 4* athlete who never measured up.
Who is touting Jeff Sims? Saying he likely got held back by this program is NOT touting him. Neither is saying he may have a shot to start at an FBS school. Jeff Sims was a below average QB at Tech. Tech gave Jeff Sims below average resources during his time here. Is that “touting” him?

I really want to stay on this board for another decade, but we’re at the point now where we’re making up arguments (I assume out of frustration).

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Best case scenario, Sims gets surgery and remains with the team. If his injury is needing surgery for him to continue
Best case scenario for both parties at this point is that he leaves.

We need to cleanse ourselves of Geoff/Jeff’s. We have a QB in Pyron that actually wants to play for someone besides himself.

Deleted member 6494

If you say so. Hard to argue with 3 seasons worth of numbers though. If Sims had truly gotten better this year it would’ve shown up somewhere in his numbers.

Not to mention in 3 years as Georgia Tech’s starting QB he played zero snaps against UGA, only 1 game against Miami, only 2 against Clemson, missed a game against Notre Dame, and will miss a game against UNC.
Against our 2 toughest rivals he only played 2 games in 3 years. Against our 2 toughest division opponents he only played 2 games. And against Notre Dame he only played once. In normal years that would’ve been 14 games (6 vs. UGA & Clemson, 6 vs. UNC & Miami, 2 vs. Notre Dame) and he only played in 5 games total against them.

Not sure what you’re seeing that shows Sims has gotten any better. The only metric that seems to show that is the “eye test.” The way he played against NIU last year should’ve been the end of his era, and if it wasn’t, after he pulled up short of a first down on the opening series against Ole Miss definitely should’ve been.
We don't know all of the aspects of Sim's situation. I am sure he is under great emotional pressure right now and needs for all of us to understand. Whatever his intentions are right now, we should wish him the best in all his efforts.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
After reading the AJC article and listening/reading these posts, I thought about how my knees and feet hurt with the weather change and im only 38. The quick drop of temperature in Atl Fri and Sat, along with dampness from the rain on an already slick field, it makes sense that a very agile player at 50% or 60% healthy on a bad foot wouldn't risk injury. Is a coach mad when a player says he can't go in? Of course. But, the weather conditions made sense not to play. (Personal opinion)

Him not being around the team is interesting but maybe much ado about nothing, especially if his playing time is gonna be bare minimum or zero. Spend 24/7 in the trainers room, get back and be #2 vs uga. He (Sims) knows how bad Gibson and Pumachan (phonic spelling) are and I know it hurts him even more to have to watch it and know he can't do anything to help his don't. He is in a damned if you do damned if you dont position.

Just a lot of middle school girl gossip right now around all facets of our team.

I want us to win the next 2 and be bowl eligible and win 3 in a row to end the season, but part of me wants to call a 2020 season auditable and end the season today, just to get everything rolling for an amazing 2023. Ill watch the last 2 games thinking we got a chance if this and if that. Ill always bleed White and Gold (and occasionally Navy). GO TECH!

Deleted member 6494

If I were Sims, I would take my time to heal, rethink my situation, and find out who will be the new coach before I made any decision. He might find his strengths fits the new coach and vice versa. The new coach might be able to fix any deficiencies he sees, and Sims might become the new model for quarterbacks.

If after awaiting his decision with a new coach, he might decide on another QB coach at another school and transfer; this gives him two choices of chances for success.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No I think our fan base can suck because we don’t go to games or buy gear. Which probably mattered more to Sims than the past three days.
Dont forget what color uniform is worn on Saturday . Program is in a state of disaster and 30 pages about uniforms and colors . I will never understand it

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The bottom line is if he is a leader on the team, he should at least participate in being with the team as much as possible. This means film study, support for other QBs, and sidelines at practice and the games (no pads). It’s not a good look for his teammates or as the QB of the team. I would bet he will hit the transfer portal and that’s probably the best for both parties.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
His completion % is lower this year than it was last year.
His yards per attempt were the lowest this year out of any year in his career
His passer rating was the lowest of his career
His yards per rush were the lowest of any year in his career
His total QBR was lower this year than any other year.

Literally by all measures, this year was his worst year. And his first 2 weren’t very good.

I hope he figures it out wherever he goes next year, because he has all the potential in the world. Maybe a change of scenery will be the best thing for him. But Sims got 0% better over the course of his career at Georgia Tech. Still making freshman mistakes as a 3 year starter.
Comparing stats is subject to question. Coach Long, in a preseason press conference, used words to the effect of "Coach Alexander is doing the best he can with what he has to work with" referring to the receivers. Sims didn't drop those passes or run the wrong routes. This offensive line is worse than the last 2 years (which weren't that great). And the offensive staff is new except for Key---Long likes to throw to the TE more than Patenaude, and we don't have a wealth of talent there, either.

It's a team game. Those stats are team stats too.

ScGold

Banned
If you speak the truth about how things played out with Sims you get put in timeout like me (I have received several warnings from mods). I guess its best just to not say anything lol people are way too easily offended
That's the truth

JacketFan137

Banned
Best case scenario for both parties at this point is that he leaves.

We need to cleanse ourselves of Geoff/Jeff’s. We have a QB in Pyron that actually wants to play for someone besides himself.
the first part is fair but why does every comment critical of sims have to include little sly digs at him like what you said at the end.

1. every football player in america is playing for themselves. every kid in middle school is playing to make the high school team, the high school kids are all trying to get to college, college to the nfl, nfl to their contract. working hard and being the best version of yourself is how football teams improve.

2. if you want to live in the blissfully ignorant world that all players are playing for the greater good of the team, what did sims do aside from one inconsequential play where he pulled up short of the first down? for some reason that has turned into sims entire career here and it’s just getting lazy to say

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He needs to switch to WR if he wants to be in the NFL
100% disagree. He is an immensely talented athlete, but I don't think there's anything that shows us he's anything but a QB. If he ever gets it, he IS generational. If it doesn't ever click, he'll not do anything at the next level. It's so tough to decide if it's Jeff or his OL holding him back. Injuries are also part of his problem. Playing at the next level is going to be so much more physically rigorous. He needs to get healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.