Jeff Sims - Not practicing with team - in rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Comparing stats is subject to question. Coach Long, in a preseason press conference, used words to the effect of "Coach Alexander is doing the best he can with what he has to work with" referring to the receivers. Sims didn't drop those passes or run the wrong routes. This offensive line is worse than the last 2 years (which weren't that great). And the offensive staff is new except for Key---Long likes to throw to the TE more than Patenaude, and we don't have a wealth of talent there, either.

It's a team game. Those stats are team stats too.
There are stats for dropped passes, there are stats for sacks allowed. There are stats for other QBs.

Jayden Daniels at LSU has been sacked more than Jeff Sims has this year. He’s thrown for 2,000 yards at a 69% clip. 14 TDs to 2 INTs. Passer rating of 145, and a QBR of 72, which is 21st best in the country. Supposedly LSU was high on Sims, and he almost transferred there. Do you really think LSU would’ve won the SEC West, and Sims would be putting up the same numbers Daniels is? I highly doubt it.

Pyron had a higher QBR in his games against VT and Miami than Sims has all year, and that includes the WCU game, where his QBR was 28, and his passer rating was 84. Sims’ QBR on the year is 47, which puts him at 103rd in the country. The only 2 P5 QBs with worse QBRs are Iowa’s and Colorado’s. That’s not very flattering company

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
yet people are convinced that the answer/miracle worker is pyron and so far based on what we’ve seen there isn’t really a guarantee that he is the answer yet either. statistically he has not shown any more in an albeit much smaller sample size.

either way we are gambling and praying that someone is the one who figures it out. i want to believe pyron is the guy and the future assuming sims leaves but i feel like a lot of people could be setting themselves up for a similar let down
Wonder if we will give Pyron 3 years to figure it out like we gave Sims?

slugboy

Staff member
I didn't see any real improvement the few times we've been televised and these stats back that up. 5.9 yds/per = Captain Checkdown.

Oh well. I wish him well wherever he ends up, or whatever. I don't think he'll be returning.
I’ll have to double-check, but I think that Long is running more passing plays behind or near the line of scrimmage, and pulling the average depth of target down.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah Pyron’s yardage stats have also been quite underwhelming - as has the entire offense under any quarterback - so I have a hard time saying there’s regression there vs somehow just even worse gameplan and scheme…

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, Coach Prime is bringing the new starter with him after the UGA game, so I doubt Pyron has much of a shot to start. Kidding aside, the new coach is going to have to bring in a minimum of 2 QBs. This could be HS guys that he poaches from other schools and/or portal guys. Pyron has a good foundation to build upon, but he'll have to earn the starting job.

JacketFan137

Banned
ignoring yet another cheap shot on sims, i don’t think we have a whole lot of choice based on the current roster.

if sims transfers the only three qbs available are taisun, gibson and pyron. i don’t expect gibson to be much more than he currently is and taisun seems like a “developmental” qb. no one is currently committed in the 23 class at the qb position either

barring a significant portal add from the new staff i don’t expect us to have anything more than what we currently have at qb for the next 2 years minimum

Reactions: CEB

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Guys, IMO it’s very unlikely that Sims comes back.

What happened on Saturday was bad any way you look at it. The coaches were clearly under the impression is was available to play, but when the moment presented itself at a critical point in the game he wasn’t. So either there was a major lapse in communication or he changed his mind in the moment. Bad either way - and yes, some of this could be on the coaches for not knowing the truth behind the situation.

That said - I’ve never heard of a player needing so much time to rehab an injury that they “will not be with the team indefinitely.” Key was pretty vague on what this meant, but if he’s not going to practice, not attending team meetings, and not traveling to the remaining games then he’s essentially off the team. It appears the decision was mutual based on the comments - which I take as Tech saying we don’t think it’s appropriate for you to be here right now, and Sims saying he doesn’t want to be here.

Now, could a new coach show up and convince him to stay? Sure. Could he return and be great? Sure. But right now it sure has the feel of a toxic situation.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Guys, IMO it’s very unlikely that Sims comes back.
He's not coming back. I heard from Deep Throat and he said Sims had planned to go into the portal last year to an SEC team (he mentioned the team, but I choose not to divulge that) but Collins begged him to stay and hooked him up with an expanded NIL deal. So Sims stayed for the money. OK, fine.

Apparently, Sims is a good athlete but a bit of a baby (his words) and Collins pampered him. Key isn't. So Sims is gone and probably should have been gone a year ago. This was a long time coming.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
He's not coming back. I heard from Deep Throat and he said Sims had planned to go into the portal last year to an SEC team (he mentioned the team, but I choose not to divulge that) but Collins begged him to stay and hooked him up with an expanded NIL deal. So Sims stayed for the money. OK, fine.

Apparently, Sims is a good athlete but a bit of a baby (his words) and Collins pampered him. Key isn't. So Sims is gone and probably should have been gone a year ago. This was a long time coming.
I have no connections to anyone, but this sounds right to me. There was just something about the BK presser that led me to conclude that the Sims era is over.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He can hit the portal and be part of spring practice at a new place. Obviously didn't want to risk further injury on this team. Sorry things didn't work out for all concerned but I always felt he was told by Collins that if he signed with us he would start from day one. He wanted to go to FSU but they decided not to offer. We were not his first choice.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He can hit the portal and be part of spring practice at a new place. Obviously didn't want to risk further injury on this team. Sorry things didn't work out for all concerned but I always felt he was told by Collins that if he signed with us he would start from day one. He wanted to go to FSU but they decided not to offer. We were not his first choice.
I agree GT was not his first choice, but didn't he get an offer from FSU only to realize that Norvell, on arrival, pursued another highly rated QB and Jeff saw the writing on the wall ... that he would not be FSU's first choice? So he transferred to be Nr 1 somewhere else?

Just musing, but I think that was the path.

No matter. At this point, he's going to transfer to an Arkansas State or Florida Atlantic. But good luck to him.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
100% disagree. He is an immensely talented athlete, but I don't think there's anything that shows us he's anything but a QB. If he ever gets it, he IS generational. If it doesn't ever click, he'll not do anything at the next level. It's so tough to decide if it's Jeff or his OL holding him back. Injuries are also part of his problem. Playing at the next level is going to be so much more physically rigorous. He needs to get healthy.
yes he is an immensely talented athelete, he has it all physically but after 3 seasons of starting has not improved at all. he is still statistically the worst QB in the ACC, he makes mental mistakes every game that will never even rate a tryout in the NFL. And don’t blame it all on the OL, there are plently of QB’s out there with more hurries and sacks every season with way better QB ratings. I have pulled hard all 3 seasons for the kid to be great or even consistently good here at GT and it never happened.

kalld12

Banned
Which is what’s wrong – easily offended people, or breaking the rules that you signed up to? Please clarify.
so you can say whatever you like on twitter and tag people directly but yet on a forum you can't publicly criticize a student athlete for underperformance or other opinions on how a SA is handling things on and off the field, once again, you guys should spend time on other boards. Criticism is part of the game, if players have aspirations for the NFL where there is fantasy football they better toughen up quick. The world is becoming weak and comments like this just backup the fact. Rules or not, people need to toughen up. This is why alot of people here dont participate on this board and just scroll.

slugboy

Staff member
Most people aren't doing it, but we have a rule against disparaging players and coaches, and it's a good rule. "Ben Goodman has been really inaccurate lately" a vague opinion. "Ben Goodman only has a 38% completion percentage and that's bottom of the conference" is a (possibly wrong) fact. "Ben Goodman sucks and I hope he quits the team" is disparaging. "The team will be better off without Ben Goodman" is also disparaging. "Ben Goodman has no heart and doesn't belong on a P5 team" is disparaging. I hope you can see the difference.

This applies to our current athletes and coaches and our past coaches and athletes. Randomly bringing up that one of Pepper's QBs sucked in a thread about someone else isn't OK just because he hasn't played in 45 years.

=====================

For those talking about QBR (the ESPN one), I wouldn't get too hung up on rank. A lot of the quarterback stats are "team stats" because if your WR drops the ball or you get sacked in 1.5 seconds, your QBR goes down. Brennan Armstrong at UVA was near the top of this list last year when he had a senior-laden line and some other graduating skill players around him, and he decided to stay for his senior year instead of going into the draft. His line is gone, some of his better receivers are gone, his OC is gone, and his QBR is now in the 40's.

If you're still going look at these numbers, I consider numbers > 70 great, 60-70 good, 50-60 = count on your defense to carry you, and <50 is bad

RKNAMEQBR
1​
Drake MayeUNC
88.5​
2​
Jordan TravisFSU
84.2​
3​
Riley LeonardDUKE
76.1​
4​
Sam HartmanWAKE