Jeff Sims - Not practicing with team - in rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, I don't see this staff being all that creative.
baylor also had a lot more talent on the line and skill positions. i don’t think we have enough good ball carriers to be super successful with that and baylor had an entire bowl season to implement that new strategy.

we get now 5 days and another week. don’t see that going as well for us

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Baylor lost top 4 qbs at end of season - just before a bowl game.

They stayed with the air raid but put a wr who could some what pass. also stayed with wide gaps.

they had lots of jet sweeps and moving pockets that mostly turned into runs - a wild cat of sorts

600 yds approx rushing and several hundred yards passing.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Go jackets
Several years ago, before our game, Maryland had lost their top 4 QBs to injury. They started a freshman linebacker. It didn't go well but was fun to watch.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention in 3 years as Georgia Tech’s starting QB he played zero snaps against UGA, only 1 game against Miami, only 2 against Clemson, missed a game against Notre Dame, and will miss a game against UNC.
Against our 2 toughest rivals he only played 2 games in 3 years. Against our 2 toughest division opponents he only played 2 games. And against Notre Dame he only played once. In normal years that would’ve been 14 games (6 vs. UGA & Clemson, 6 vs. UNC & Miami, 2 vs. Notre Dame) and he only played in 5 games total against them.
He lasted more games (in both his freshman year and this season) than Pyron; therefore:

Sims is more durable than Pyron.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He’s an athletic freak who *can* make every throw on the field. He’s struggled with injuries and has played behind one of the worst OL’s in fbs for 3 years. Tack on that he had an FCS level qb coach during his developmental years and you end up with a physically gifted athlete who suffers from inconsistency issues. I seriously doubt Dan Marino would have been successful at tech the past three years given the supporting cast.
I’m inclined to agree. The problem is we’ll never know and there is no way to test this theory.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
He has been promoted to emergency QB.
How big a recruiting miss was this guy? Wasn't he a 4 star recruit out of HS? To not even be able to see the field with as bad as things have been this season is sobering

JacketFan137

Banned
I’m inclined to agree. The problem is we’ll never know and there is no way to test this theory.
yet people are convinced that the answer/miracle worker is pyron and so far based on what we’ve seen there isn’t really a guarantee that he is the answer yet either. statistically he has not shown any more in an albeit much smaller sample size.

either way we are gambling and praying that someone is the one who figures it out. i want to believe pyron is the guy and the future assuming sims leaves but i feel like a lot of people could be setting themselves up for a similar let down

JacketFan137

Banned
How big a recruiting miss was this guy? Wasn't he a 4 star recruit out of HS? To not even be able to see the field with as bad as things have been this season is sobering
tearing your achilles is gonna make any athlete struggle to live up to expectations. that is arguably one of the worst possible sports injuries and for it to occur almost immediately upon arrival to college in a pretty crucial development period is gonna really set back a player a lot

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
We can say what we want about Sims. But in my opinion, the entire Georgia Tech football entity (coaches, teammates, fans, boosters, athletic department, alumni, etc.) let him down during his career here. Probably one of the few student-athletes who actually regrets coming here. GT did nothing for this kid and his family except give him a good education. GT football quit on Jeff Sims before anything else happened. For him to even get a 6 figure NIL deal playing for this dumpster fire of a program says more about him than GT.

Sure, he wasn’t a great QB and had his flaws. But he’s damn sure a better QB than his coaches are coaches. And he’s a better QB than we are fans. Probably will have multiple FBS programs wanting him to switch places with their current QB. But I guarantee you no FBS AD would want to switch fan bases with us. IIWII.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yet another discussion that has turned into diametrically opposing extremes. Some people seem to be of the opinion that he is a bum. Some people seem to be of the opinion that he is a generational player that the coaches have driven into the ground.

I don't know what the actual truth of the situation is. I don't believe that I will ever know what the actual situation is. And I don't believe I have a God given right to know that the actual situation is. I do not believe that trashing a student athlete is behavior that I would accept from people in my close circle. Criticizing plays, and/or presenting a belief that he will leave school is just discussion in my opinion. Criticizing his "perceived" character, or trying to say that he is only an FCS level athlete in my opinion is over the top.

What I do know is that we are discussing a student-athlete who has played three years under the worst coach to every step foot on the flats. He has had ups and downs on the football field. As far as I know he has kept up with school. I don't know if any discipline issues involving him. In other words, he is a GT athlete that has performed for the team, performed academically, and has kept out of trouble. If he leaves, I wish him the best in whatever his future holds.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
We can say what we want about Sims. But in my opinion, the entire Georgia Tech football entity (coaches, teammates, fans, boosters, athletic department, alumni, etc.) let him down during his career here. Probably one of the few student-athletes who actually regrets coming here. GT did nothing for this kid and his family except give him a good education. GT football quit on Jeff Sims before anything else happened. For him to even get a 6 figure NIL deal playing for this dumpster fire of a program says more about him than GT.

Sure, he wasn’t a great QB and had his flaws. But he’s damn sure a better QB than his coaches are coaches. And he’s a better QB than we are fans. Probably will have multiple FBS programs wanting him to switch places with their current QB. But I guarantee you no FBS AD would want to switch fan bases with us. IIWII.

Yea that education thing is a little more valuable than you make it sound. Most these guys aren’t gonna play football for a living. Every fanbase has jerks and bad apples so I truly have to chuckle a tad when you act like ours is the worst.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
He is a TECH man and has given his all for 3 years. I applaud him and will cheer for him even if he decides that what is best for him is to leave. I wonder how many Techies if they were honest, thought about leaving during their undergrad.

Tech is a hard place, even harder for our SA's. Some of ya'll are the reason why we don't have nice things around here.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Yea that education thing is a little more valuable than you make it sound. Most these guys aren’t gonna play football for a living. Every fanbase has jerks and bad apples so I truly have to chuckle a tad when you act like ours is the worst.
I can't imagine the poster you are replying to, and others who are criticizing our fanbase have ever checked out other teams' message boards when their star player(s) have a bad game, especially after a loss. We are one of the better, more subdued fanbases in those situations and it's not even close.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
You act like we as fans owe him something? What did we do that any other fanbase would do differently? At the end of the day he was not a good QB, constantly was injured, and didn’t show much grit or determination. We lost a lot of games under him (not all his fault).

The coaches bet their jobs on him being a good QB and it never happened. Not sure what else he could have expected based on his performance. If anything, it’s clear now that he didn’t deserve all the pandering and attention he got from coaches and fans.
GT fans don’t owe Jeff Sims anything, except for understanding that Jeff Sims owes GT nothing. He bet his football career on GT being the place for him. And it wasn’t. And most of the factors for why it wasn’t were out of his control, imo. I don’t think Sims (reasonably) could have salvaged CGC’s tenure by himself, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.