Jeff Sims - Not practicing with team - in rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I know.... I have no idea what Jeff Sims is. Some of that is on Jeff, some of that is on our staff, and some of it is on our player personnel around him. I have watched us drive square pegs into round holes offensively for four years. I don't know if that is a talent issue, an evaluation issue, a planning/preparation issue or a combination of all of the above. Jeff may have been the walking embodiment of what we wanted at QB and what we were trying to do offensively. Maybe those around him came up short and that reflected poorly on Jeff... or conversely, maybe Jeff wasn't able to grasp / execute what we were trying to do offensively, so everyone came up short. The bottom line, our offense is a mess.

Post Collins, everything started to look better, and almost as soon as Collins was gone, Jeff got injured. I have no doubt he is injured. I have no idea of the severity, and I don't need to know. I can assume Jeff would have been better than what we mustered against UVA and probably FSU. I can't know that, and it may not have made a difference, but I think its a safe assumption. I was very critical of the staff this week because the messaging surrounding Jeff was either botched, or there was something bigger brewing. It now seems it was the latter, but I still think the message was botched.

I know there are coaches and players who should be proud of effort, attitude and sacrifice they put in, and I hope they are.... but I can guarantee you none of them are proud of the results. No one involved is going to point to 13 wins in four years with pride. In coming to GT, Jeff took what he believed was the best opportunity he had in front of him. GT took what we believed was the best QB opportunity we had in front of us. At that point, nothing previous matters and it's kind of pointless to fuss about who did a bigger disservice to whom. Everyone involved wanted it to be better and now everyone involved is poised to push a reset button. Hopefully everyone involved is better off once we do.

kalld12

Banned
Most people aren't doing it, but we have a rule against disparaging players and coaches, and it's a good rule. "Ben Goodman has been really inaccurate lately" a vague opinion. "Ben Goodman only has a 38% completion percentage and that's bottom of the conference" is a (possibly wrong) fact. "Ben Goodman sucks and I hope he quits the team" is disparaging. "The team will be better off without Ben Goodman" is also disparaging. "Ben Goodman has no heart and doesn't belong on a P5 team" is disparaging. I hope you can see the difference.

This applies to our current athletes and coaches and our past coaches and athletes. Randomly bringing up that one of Pepper's QBs sucked in a thread about someone else isn't OK just because he hasn't played in 45 years.

=====================

For those talking about QBR (the ESPN one), I wouldn't get too hung up on rank. A lot of the quarterback stats are "team stats" because if your WR drops the ball or you get sacked in 1.5 seconds, your QBR goes down. Brennan Armstrong at UVA was near the top of this list last year when he had a senior-laden line and some other graduating skill players around him, and he decided to stay for his senior year instead of going into the draft. His line is gone, some of his better receivers are gone, his OC is gone, and his QBR is now in the 40's.

If you're still going look at these numbers, I consider numbers > 70 great, 60-70 good, 50-60 = count on your defense to carry you, and <50 is bad

RKNAMEQBR
1​
Drake MayeUNC
88.5​
2​
Jordan TravisFSU
84.2​
3​
Riley LeonardDUKE
76.1​
4​
Sam HartmanWAKE
74​
5​
Malik CunninghamLOU
72.3​
6​
DJ UiagaleleiCLEM
68.1​
7​
Garrett ShraderSYR
67.6​
8​
Devin LearyNCST
56.1​
9​
Tyler Van DykeMIA
51.9​
10​
Kedon SlovisPITT
47.1​
11​
Grant WellsVT
45.9​
12​
Brennan ArmstrongUVA
44.1​
13​
Jeff SimsGT
42.2​
14​
Phil JurkovecBC
36.3​

For comparison, here are Zach Pyron's

DATEOPPRESULTCMPATTYDSCMP%AVGTDINTLNGSACKRTGQBR
Sat 11/12vs MIAL
35-14
Sat 11/5@VTW
28-27
Sat 10/29@ FSUL
41-16
Understand the delineation between directly attacking (disparaging) and actual criticism. Saying someone sucks, could be said in many different ways that get the same point across (pointing the examples/facts of underperformance) that flat out saying it. I'm one of the people here that has been critical of Sims, not based off his ability, but the fact we never really saw Jeff make that giant leap year to year. He's still WAY too inconsistent and i've questioned his guts/leadership before not taking hits, running out of bounds before the 1st down marker on 3rd down, and missing open receivers on critical down situations. With Pyron i saw a kid who is a gamer, he clearly wants to win, he sees the field better than Sims in year 1, and shows visible frustration when he makes a mistake. Sims had all the intangibles to be better and i truly feel he underperformed during this time here. Of course we can discuss lack of an OL, receivers dropping balls etc, but he just never took the step forward i was looking for and trust me, every year i was like this is the year for Sims...it just never came.

slugboy

Staff member
Understand the delineation between directly attacking (disparaging) and actual criticism. Saying someone sucks, could be said in many different ways that get the same point across (pointing the examples/facts of underperformance) that flat out saying it. I'm one of the people here that has been critical of Sims, not based off his ability, but the fact we never really saw Jeff make that giant leap year to year. He's still WAY too inconsistent and i've questioned his guts/leadership before not taking hits, running out of bounds before the 1st down marker on 3rd down, and missing open receivers on critical down situations. With Pyron i saw a kid who is a gamer, he clearly wants to win, he sees the field better than Sims in year 1, and shows visible frustration when he makes a mistake. Sims had all the intangibles to be better and i truly feel he underperformed during this time here. Of course we can discuss lack of an OL, receivers dropping balls etc, but he just never took the step forward i was looking for and trust me, every year i was like this is the year for Sims...it just never came.
Saying someone "sucks" is not criticism. Here's a delineation: "sucks" is derogatory, "inaccurate" and "not going through his progressions" is criticism.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Sims has been the best QB we have had for the last 4 years, for whatever that is worth.
I think the offense this year has been hurt by a talent drain at OL, RB and WR. I think any QB is going to struggle to score with this current personnel.

FWIW, here are his parents tweets from the AJC article yesterday.

On Monday, Sims’ parents tweeted explanations of why their son could not play.

“He’s just simply not healthy enough to go out there and be Jeff Sims, if he could, he would,” wrote Aisha Sims, the quarterback’s mother.

“His mind and heart is willing but his foot which is essential for launching, cutting and running needs to heal,” wrote Jeffrey Sims Sr.

The young man is obviously hurt. Maybe he will be back, maybe not. Either way we are going to need a new QB soon. We almost certainly need to look for a QB in the portal - one that is better than Gibson. That doesn't mean we will be able to get that QB to come to GT.

Deleted member 6494

There are rare athletes that come with the build, cerebral contents, speed, quickness, et al. They generally step onto the field in High School and dominate a position. Most of them could dominate any position they chose. Many times the position is chosen for them by the coach. They excel because they have all the tools.

They are recruited and expected to dominate that same position in college. However, the college coach has his ideas of how things should be done and sometimes it retards the God given effectiveness of the athlete. If the coach does not know how to train the athlete for improvement in techniques, the athlete may be able to still use his skills but not in a dominant way.

The problem many times is that a coach tries to place a square peg in a round hole just to match his own game. Both the athlete and coach must be able to change to an effective plan for both of them.

Personally, I don't like the idea of paying players in college, they get about $100,000 a year for education, food, housing, et al plus a stipend for incidentals. However, I do think the portal is a good thing for those who don't fit the coaching style of their team and wish to play for another team with a different coaching style.

Without any NIL incentives, the portal can help equalize the quality of play among all the colleges. Some sitting on a bench could be productive with another team helping that team be more productive in their conference.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Sims has been the best QB we have had for the last 4 years, for whatever that is worth.
I think the offense this year has been hurt by a talent drain at OL, RB and WR. I think any QB is going to struggle to score with this current personnel.

“He’s just simply not healthy enough to go out there and be Jeff Sims, if he could, he would,” wrote Aisha Sims, the quarterback’s mother.

“His mind and heart is willing but his foot which is essential for launching, cutting and running needs to heal,” wrote Jeffrey Sims Sr.

The young man is obviously hurt. Maybe he will be back, maybe not. Either way we are going to need a new QB soon. We almost certainly need to look for a QB in the portal - one that is better than Gibson. That doesn't mean we will be able to get that QB to come to GT.
i have no problem if he's hurt and cant play. thats fine. but dont dress and then be unavailable. if hes hurt bad enough to not play, he should be in street clothes. not pads. thats on him as much as its on the coaches.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I think he is hurt, but the coaches seemed to be under the impression that he wasn't too hurt to play in an emergency situation, and he apparently was. Some kind of breakdown in communication happened here or Jeff changed his mind when the time came. It's unfortunate either way.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I can't imagine the poster you are replying to, and others who are criticizing our fanbase have ever checked out other teams' message boards when their star player(s) have a bad game, especially after a loss. We are one of the better, more subdued fanbases in those situations and it's not even close.
Not only that but I can’t remember the last time a GT coach had a dead animal, etc in their yard or a player got literally run out of town. We don’t even know where our coaches live. Our bar for screwing with players was probably the white spray painted “Hope she was worth it” left on the Fowler St green wall for Dewberry in ‘85.

JacketFan137

Banned
Not only that but I can’t remember the last time a GT coach had a dead animal, etc in their yard or a player got literally run out of town. We don’t even know where our coaches live. Our bar for screwing with players was probably the white spray painted “Hope she was worth it” left on the Fowler St green wall for Dewberry in ‘85.
i think the fact that we don’t do things like that and the fact that our fanbase is pretty small just amplifies the negativity in this situation

there’s so much going on in a fanbase like bama it’s a fools errand to keep up with it all so it’s probably easier to shut out for players and parents.

our facebook group that has a lot of parents of former and current players and the small subsection of gt football twitter had a lot of very vocal people saying some pretty abhorrent things and it all came back to jeff sims parents and clearly they are upset about it.

so yes it isn’t as over the top as for sale signs in the yard and poisoning trees but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a pretty bad look that adults are trying to run a 20 year old out of town over something that is ultimately inconsequential for the outcome of the rest of the season

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
No, we can't agree to disagree here. I'm explaining the rules, not debating them.

Also, if your boss or customer tells you that "you suck" as constructive criticism, they don't understand constructive criticism.
Apologies for extending this tangent, but wanted to take the opportunity to say that in my opinion, this board strikes a good balance in terms of setting the guardrails the right distance away from the road. Further, if you don't like the rules, don't agree to them and then ignore them - instead you should seek other media to express your thoughts.

The fact that some posters seem to believe Twitter should be the benchmark standard is telling. There are a couple of other GT boards to choose from, one being so strict that no criticism of coaches, constructive or otherwise, is allowed, and another with a penchant for juvenile over-the-top personal attacks. I check them both out from time to time but the signal-to-noise ratio on these alternatives tends to be low. To each their own.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Apologies for extending this tangent, but wanted to take the opportunity to say that in my opinion, this board strikes a good balance in terms of setting the guardrails the right distance away from the road. Further, if you don't like the rules, don't agree to them and then ignore them - instead you should seek other media to express your thoughts.

The fact that some posters seem to believe Twitter should be the benchmark standard is telling. There are a couple of other GT boards to choose from, one being so strict that no criticism of coaches, constructive or otherwise, is allowed, and another with a penchant for juvenile over-the-top personal attacks. I check them both out from time to time but the signal-to-noise ratio on these alternatives tends to be low. To each their own.
Agreed, I’m fairly new for posting vs lurking but I think this board’s policies are a good balance.

Complaining that “the world is getting weak” because someone says “here we hold ourselves to a higher standard than Twitter” is pretty damn ironic. “All policids but the ones I would pick are worthless” is hardly a sign of strength or confidence or security.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This. I teach all my players, most of your problems in life, be it school, friends, wives, work, etc will be the result of a failure of communication. Communicate better and life will be better.

And let go of the small stuff. Face it, we fans have little skin in the game. Yes some donate money but that should be purely voluntary and a reward in itself. Plus many of us spend (too much) time on here which is our only skin in the game. But this site overall is a great balance imho.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think he transfers and would be shocked if he starts at a P5 school. Thinking our fan base sucks because we think a QB is overrated is pretty funny.
I think sometimes our fanbase sucks because some people are jerks, not because some think a QB is overrated. I don’t care one bit what anyone thinks of Jeff as a QB. I do care that some people run down his character.

ScGold

Banned
Which is what’s wrong – easily offended people, or breaking the rules that you signed up to? Please clarify.
Vague rules or rules that don't permit honest dialogue are the norm today. Offending people has become very easy to do since most people under 45 tend to be cry babies and are offended by almost everything. Words can sting but last i checked they didn't change life. Having a strong will and standing for your beliefs should be celebrated. If u can't say f the naysayers that is on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.