Jay Jones Transferring

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is actually why JT gets underrated as a passer. A lot of smelter's most clutch catchs were actually IN routes rutting in front of a bailing safety and catching a bullet from JT. No other QB we've had under johnson could make these throws.

TW was able to make those throws as well, but he always seems to get overlooked as a QB. His TD throw in the 2012 VT game only counted for 10 yds, but was a 12-15 yard in route. He hit Godhigh several times with similar throws.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
What pi----- me off CPJ said he didn't play JJ because he was prone to make a mistake or commit a turnover well the one that played made plenty of mistakes and he kept playing him. CPJ played Vad when he should have played Justin this was from an assistant coach not me .he is to stubborn to change and maybe admit he made a mistake. I don't understand why some of you cannot see this he needs to go!
Oh my Boss, you've done it now! Saying that johnson needs to go is pure heresy to some people.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll give you a reason of why he needs to stay. I don't know of another coach in college football that has had the kind of success that CPJ has had with the recruiting classes he has had. Can you think of another team that has consistently recruited outside of the top 50 yet won a New Years 6 bowl? Or how about a coach that has played in as many conference championships as he has? If it's the offense you are worried about, worry no longer. CPJ has had not 1 but 2 offenses by the FEI finish in the top 5 with multiple others in the top 25. Our record the way it is, isn't because of our offense. I understand he has weaknesses but what coach doesn't? He even admitted that he probably should have played JT back then. He has also said he hates to see a player lose their starting spot which could be a downfall but we have also seen him play new starters over the starter from the prior year.
Really? seriously?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Off season attrition happens everywhere. We just can't afford it like most teams.

This is not just about jj
Really interesting point .

Your first sentence is technically correct. Since everyone has at least one attrition every now and then, you are technically correct.

BUT to be specific let's take last year
In 16 per rumble seat we lost 10.

How many Exits did the bottom of the acc teams like us (duke, wake f, Virginia, cuse) have in 16. Did these 4 teams lose 40 players? How many?

Cheese that just seems like a lot of players. Maybe rumble seat is wrong but do we have a way to find out?

Your second point that we cant afford i t is clearly correct as evidenced by the eason klock departure and the Marshall injury.

Maybe the other lower tier teams mentioned above have had significantly less attrition which could be why they are catching us!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think everybody wishes the kid the best -- and I still think it is criminal to take a year's playing time away for an 18-yer-old decision but the coaches will always win this one -- and if he can't win the competition, or didn't win it, then he is doing what is best for him. I would do the same thing. But here is my own problem: for much of the year in my view we did not have a triple option. There were some terrible mid-line stacks, whether from missed reads or bad line play and both come in for fair criticism I think , Marshall could not throw very well and was erratic pitching the ball. Let's say it was always an adventure. And while all this happened nobody behind Marshall got playing time. I go back to the Orange Bowl when Byerly, a loyal No. 2 guy all year, didn't get even one series in a blowout. In short, does Johnson's starting QB have to break his arm to give No. 2 a chance? Miami yanked its QB for poor play; Navy switched an Aback to QB with a week's practice. So what is the going theory in play? Everybody else will sit for bad play. So next year we start with Marshall and and a backup who has not played. Again. Anybody have any idea?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think everybody wishes the kid the best -- and I still think it is criminal to take a year's playing time away for an 18-yer-old decision but the coaches will always win this one -- and if he can't win the competition, or didn't win it, then he is doing what is best for him. I would do the same thing. But here is my own problem: for much of the year in my view we did not have a triple option. There were some terrible mid-line stacks, whether from missed reads or bad line play and both come in for fair criticism I think , Marshall could not throw very well and was erratic pitching the ball. Let's say it was always an adventure. And while all this happened nobody behind Marshall got playing time. I go back to the Orange Bowl when Byerly, a loyal No. 2 guy all year, didn't get even one series in a blowout. In short, does Johnson's starting QB have to break his arm to give No. 2 a chance? Miami yanked its QB for poor play; Navy switched an Aback to QB with a week's practice. So what is the going theory iMy n play? Everybody else will sit for bad play. So next year we start with Marshall and and a backup who has not played. Again. Anybody have any idea?

We pulled TQM for Jordan in the Clemson game, but Jordan was then injured. I think it's more that LJ and JJ just aren't ready yet to run the O. I'm not entirely certain MJ wouldn't have ended the season as the starter if that injury doesn't happen.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why we recruit more than one TRUE QB a yr anyway.Sometimes they can move but even then there is a transition (at best). If you have too many QBs ,you have too few of something else ,esp at Tech .er, like OL and DL
Next yr at this time,it will be interesting to see how many DBs transfer--with 17 and '18 recruit classes we have a bunch.(Still short on OLs ). Again folks will be saying--"how/why did that happen?"..

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think it's about time for Tech to decide if they are going to join the football arms race or not. Seems like the school is split almost down the middle in terms of academic requirements and recent influx of investment to the football program, and this split has certainly shown its *** when its comes to transferring over the past couple of years, example 178 here. It's almost futile to try to pump money into football without also adjusting the academic situation that tech subjects its athletes to.

I'm curious where reports of all of this influx of money are. I haven't seen anything that suggests that the GTAA or the FB program now have large sums of money at their disposal. There has been talk that TStan is trying to get more resources for FB, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate there is money to do it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think everybody wishes the kid the best -- and I still think it is criminal to take a year's playing time away for an 18-yer-old decision but the coaches will always win this one -- and if he can't win the competition, or didn't win it, then he is doing what is best for him. I would do the same thing. But here is my own problem: for much of the year in my view we did not have a triple option. There were some terrible mid-line stacks, whether from missed reads or bad line play and both come in for fair criticism I think , Marshall could not throw very well and was erratic pitching the ball. Let's say it was always an adventure. And while all this happened nobody behind Marshall got playing time. I go back to the Orange Bowl when Byerly, a loyal No. 2 guy all year, didn't get even one series in a blowout. In short, does Johnson's starting QB have to break his arm to give No. 2 a chance? Miami yanked its QB for poor play; Navy switched an Aback to QB with a week's practice. So what is the going theory in play? Everybody else will sit for bad play. So next year we start with Marshall and and a backup who has not played. Again. Anybody have any idea?
1. If we repeat the qb substitution policy of 17 and t q starts, we will end 18 and start 19 with no back up experience again.

2. Could our offense be too complex for the limited time our students have available?? .

Some people here say it's so intricate that it takes y ears to learn . I do not by that.

3 The real issue is how do we magically fix the ol . We are screwed till that is fixed - especially at o t.
Have a great off-season, will Bryan, stick, lee. we need the Morgan's to get going and Marshall to mend. . Hope they aren't as bummed out as folks on this site are.

Not fun to play ol at tech.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
1. If we repeat the qb substitution policy of 17 and t q starts, we will end 18 and start 19 with no back up experience again.

2. Could our offense be too complex for the limited time our students have available?? .

Some people here say it's so intricate that it takes y ears to learn . I do not by that.

3 The real issue is how do we magically fix the ol . We are screwed till that is fixed - especially at o t.
Have a great off-season, will Bryan, stick, lee. we need the Morgan's to get going and Marshall to mend. . Hope they aren't as bummed out as folks on this site are.

Not fun to play ol at tech.

1. If we are in close games, should we disrupt everything to make sure that a backup gets in even if that means losing the game? In the games this year that were well in hand, the backups did play.

2. The issues QBs have with the offense I believe has more to do with timing and reads than understanding the plays. It is easier to know what you should do than it is to decide in microseconds whether to keep or pull and then to keep or pitch. That has nothing to do with knowledge or complexity, it has to do with practice.

3. I haven't watched @Longestday 's analysis of the games this year. Have all of the issues been with the OL? I kind of doubt it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. If we are in close games, should we disrupt everything to make sure that a backup gets in even if that means losing the game? In the games this year that were well in hand, the backups did play.

2. The issues QBs have with the offense I believe has more to do with timing and reads than understanding the plays. It is easier to know what you should do than it is to decide in microseconds whether to keep or pull and then to keep or pitch. That has nothing to do with knowledge or complexity, it has to do with practice.

3. I haven't watched @Longestday 's analysis of the games this year. Have all of the issues been with the OL? I kind of doubt it.
Reference
1. Could u tell me how many plays for l j and j j in unc or Pitt? . I was at game and may have missed it. Could u give me a number? Your point about not putting in a back up is in a critical time is suggested by whom?.
2. Do you say coach runs the t o or a complicated read play every play? What about called b b dive, jet sweep? Are these plays two complicated ? Could you give me the % plays that are t o. ? I guess it is less than 35%. What's your number? You are making a strong case to abandon the t o offense - too intricate
3 when I say the real issue is the o l , why do you say I said ALL the issues have been the o l? What specific issue do you say was a real issue on offense ? A secondary issue IMO was I the qb s tendency to cut up field was diagnosed by the opponents in the last two games. His lack of passing accuracy was a minor issue that only came up as a result of other issues.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A lot of unnecessary pissing matches in this thread. Am I being a hypocrite now?:whistle::p

Wish the best for JJ...hope he doesn't go to a rival and play something other than QB.

I kinda suspected he was behind our other QBs but that was based off very limited info. I was actually hoping to see him move to WR if possible. If he's as hard to tackle as everyone was saying...well images of Peter Warrick in Tallahassee '99 run through my mind.

I think he'd also have been darn good at Aback. Wish he had felt the same. Good luck again though.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Reference
1. Could u tell me how many plays for l j and j j in unc or Pitt? . I was at game and may have missed it. Could u give me a number? Your point about not putting in a back up is in a critical time is suggested by whom?.
2. Do you say coach runs the t o or a complicated read play every play? What about called b b dive, jet sweep? Are these plays two complicated ? Could you give me the % plays that are t o. ? I guess it is less than 35%. What's your number? You are making a strong case to abandon the t o offense - too intricate
3 when I say the real issue is the o l , why do you say I said ALL the issues have been the o l? What specific issue do you say was a real issue on offense ? A secondary issue IMO was I the qb s tendency to cut up field was diagnosed by the opponents in the last two games. His lack of passing accuracy was a minor issue that only came up as a result of other issues.
1. In the Pitt game JJ played in the last series. He got hurt on his second play and came out of the game. Until the last series it was an 11 point game. GT scored about 5 1/2 minutes left in the game. After which JJ was put into the game. If he had put JJ in at 5 1/2 minutes, GT had a three and out, and Pitt with 5 minutes left made a TD, onside kick, and other TD, people would have gone crazy about giving a backup time before the game was in hand.

2. I said absolutely nothing about the plays being too complicated. I have no idea how you understood anything similar from my post. I have no interest in going through a litany of other questions when the post you are responding too was completely misunderstood.

3. I didn't list other issues, I simply indicated that I'm not confident your original statement was correct that the OL was the biggest issue with the offense this year. The reason I think you said that was these words: "The real issue is how do we magically fix the ol". I also stated that I haven't watched analysis of the O for the games this year, so obviously I can't respond to the question about what I think issues were with the offense this year. In fact, the team averaged 390 yards per game and 28 points per game. Just from casual observation, I would say that except for the Duke and UGA game, special teams and not making a couple of mistakes at critical times in games were the major issues instead of anything systematic with the O or the D.

Last edited: