Jay Jones Transferring

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
and I agree the deep pass isn't the hardest throw, outside routes are what a lot of QB's struggle with.

Interesting (to me) tidbit that offfered me some insight: my buddy was a graduate assistant for urban meyer at OSU, and he was in charge of evaluating h.s. film to forward to coaches for evaluation (iow, he pre-washed the video to get rid of anybody who didn't have the attributes necessary to even consider).

Meyer told him that the number one throw to evaluate was the deep in. Not the post, but the hard in breaking horizontal route 12 yards downfield. Said that is the single best indicator if they can make college throws. Requires you to A) see the defense, B) Get on top of the ball to drive it (as opposed to sailing it) C) Have the arm strength and D) A quick enough release.

My buddy said that if the film didn't show the kid could really hum the deep in, it went in the circular file.

You always hear announcers talk about outs being the determining throw, but according to one interesting source, it's not the most evaluated throw (at least from translating H.S. to college)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Interesting (to me) tidbit that offfered me some insight: my buddy was a graduate assistant for urban meyer at OSU, and he was in charge of evaluating h.s. film to forward to coaches for evaluation (iow, he pre-washed the video to get rid of anybody who didn't have the attributes necessary to even consider).

Meyer told him that the number one throw to evaluate was the deep in. Not the post, but the hard in breaking horizontal route 12 yards downfield. Said that is the single best indicator if they can make college throws. Requires you to A) see the defense, B) Get on top of the ball to drive it (as opposed to sailing it) C) Have the arm strength and D) A quick enough release.

My buddy said that if the film didn't show the kid could really hum the deep in, it went in the circular file.

This is actually why JT gets underrated as a passer. A lot of smelter's most clutch catchs were actually IN routes rutting in front of a bailing safety and catching a bullet from JT. No other QB we've had under johnson could make these throws.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Do we have a shot at Jacob Eason? Not much of a rusher, but we could sub him in on "passing downs" (3rd and 25 or more)...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If we lost Anree, Branch would definitley move out to End. and honestly I think we should role Vic up to rush end or go to a 3-4 front.

3-4 alignment ( primarily in over

DE Branch
DT Adams
DE Oliver or ST amour OR Glanton

OLB Rush -Alexander
OLB Cover- Cooksey/Curry if healthy /sub for nickle Jalen Johnson or Cambell
MLB Brant
MLB Swilling

CB1 Ajani Kerr
CB2 Open for competition but i'd liek to see Carpenter prove he can win this job
SS - Gray
FS- Simmons, I like rangely free safeties that can close on the ball Simmons is a protype body type for an nfl free safety now

Base alignment is 3-4 Over with rush lb on th eline like a 4-3
Base scheme is an attacking 3-4 with one gap dl responsibility and at least one LB blitz ( either the rush or someone from the middle) with zone behind it.
Nickle package is a 3-3-5.
Carpenter is a safety and I won't be surprised if he's starting this year. Corey Griffin said he will end up being a top 5 safety from that class.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've never seen so much freaking panic over losing a 3rd string QB..... LJ was clearly number 2 after MJ went down and since JJ wants to play QB, not another position, then why would you sit behind someone in your same class? He is a great athlete, no doubt, but if wasn't willing to switch positions and wasn't willing to ride the pine then bye and good luck to him in the future. It's really not that hard to comprehend. Shoot, I called this as soon as we recruited 2 QBs in their class, either someone was switching positions or someone was leaving.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Do we have a shot at Jacob Eason? Not much of a rusher, but we could sub him in on "passing downs" (3rd and 25 or more)...

Glaciers are more mobile than Eason. Pass. I think he is from the state of Washington anyway. I suspect he will move back west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
No shot at Eason. Watching him run the 3O would be comical, and I don't think he would want to transfer some place where the only plays that he'll play are 3rd and forever.

I think Eason is a good example of why stars aren’t a good indicator of success in our system. Eason was a 5-Star prospect coming out of high school but in our offense, he is possibly a 1-Star. Not hating on Eason but he would only be good for us if we stopped running the flexbone.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think Eason is a good example of why stars aren’t a good indicator of success in our system. Eason was a 5-Star prospect coming out of high school but in our offense, he is possibly a 1-Star. Not hating on Eason but he would only be good for us if we stopped running the flexbone.

Eason will wind up in Miami playing for Richt;)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

JT was a 4 star athlete but never rated as a qb that I know of. Saben didn't want him at qb. He was well suited to our O, probably a high 4 qb. It goes both ways. We have to convince kids it's better to be a star qb for GT than an extra db for Factory U.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I think it's about time for Tech to decide if they are going to join the football arms race or not. Seems like the school is split almost down the middle in terms of academic requirements and recent influx of investment to the football program, and this split has certainly shown its *** when its comes to transferring over the past couple of years, example 178 here. It's almost futile to try to pump money into football without also adjusting the academic situation that tech subjects its athletes to.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
No one is irreplaceable.

Go Jackets!
Exactly!!! For every guy that doesn't want to be here there are more that do. And they may just have aa much potential, if not more, than Jay Jones. I would have loved to see what Paul Johnson saw in practices and scrimmages. But the fact is that Jay never played any meaningful minutes in a real game so this doesn't hurt us much at all. No player is bigger than the institution. And if it does become that way you always see those schools take major steps back when those guys leave. CPJ did consistently mention how athletic Jay Jones was but he also consistently said that our deepest position was QB. We'll be fine!

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
If we lost Anree, Branch would definitley move out to End. and honestly I think we should role Vic up to rush end or go to a 3-4 front.

3-4 alignment ( primarily in over

DE Branch
DT Adams
DE Oliver or ST amour OR Glanton

OLB Rush -Alexander
OLB Cover- Cooksey/Curry if healthy /sub for nickle Jalen Johnson or Cambell
MLB Brant
MLB Swilling

CB1 Ajani Kerr
CB2 Open for competition but i'd liek to see Carpenter prove he can win this job
SS - Gray
FS- Simmons, I like rangely free safeties that can close on the ball Simmons is a protype body type for an nfl free safety now

Base alignment is 3-4 Over with rush lb on th eline like a 4-3
Base scheme is an attacking 3-4 with one gap dl responsibility and at least one LB blitz ( either the rush or someone from the middle) with zone behind it.
Nickle package is a 3-3-5.
We have a four star, tall, rangy Safety that redshirted this year. His name is Kaleb Oliver, he's 6'4. Early reports are that he is as advertised.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck

Well true. But, Peyton Manning would be a one star in our offense. Doesn't mean he's a 1 star QB tho.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Exactly!!! For every guy that doesn't want to be here there are more that do. And they may just have aa much potential, if not more, than Jay Jones. I would have loved to see what Paul Johnson saw in practices and scrimmages. But the fact is that Jay never played any meaningful minutes in a real game so this doesn't hurt us much at all. No player is bigger than the institution. And if it does become that way you always see those schools take major steps back when those guys leave. CPJ did consistently mention how athletic Jay Jones was but he also consistently said that our deepest position was QB. We'll be fine!
I'd love to see JJ play for Kennesaw State;)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think it's about time for Tech to decide if they are going to join the football arms race or not. Seems like the school is split almost down the middle in terms of academic requirements and recent influx of investment to the football program, and this split has certainly shown its *** when its comes to transferring over the past couple of years, example 178 here. It's almost futile to try to pump money into football without also adjusting the academic situation that tech subjects its athletes to.

I think that decision has already been made...