Jay Jones Transferring

Animal02

Banned
A lot of unnecessary pissing matches in this thread. Am I being a hypocrite now?:whistle::p

Wish the best for JJ...hope he doesn't go to a rival and play something other than QB.

I kinda suspected he was behind our other QBs but that was based off very limited info. I was actually hoping to see him move to WR if possible. If he's as hard to tackle as everyone was saying...well images of Peter Warrick in Tallahassee '99 run through my mind.

I think he'd also have been darn good at Aback. Wish he had felt the same. Good luck again though.
It is comical.....all the "how do WE fix this or that". You would think this was a coaches meeting if you didn't know better.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
College football is big business now. It's just like the pros in that winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. Coaching jobs, contributions, fan enthusiasm depend upon winning - not upon equal playing time. That went out the door after peewee league. It is CPJ's job to do the best he can with what he's got, so, clearly (to me, at least), he tried to make the best out of a bad situation at QB this season. If JJ was so far down the depth chart, it had to be for a really good reason - one that the coaches saw daily in practice. If TM ends up starting at QB next year, it will only mean that he has maintained separation from the others by becoming a better passer or by the other, better passes not upping their game on the rushing side, or both.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The decision to transfer has to be tough for any athlete, especially since the future is unknowable. Marcus Marshall would likely have been the #1 B-Back this year, and a P5 1,000 yard rusher, had he not left the program.
Probably true and probably we would be playing in a bowl game. But getting only 4-5 carries per game in 2016 and playing behind a weed head certainly was not what he wanted. That situation was completely mismanaged by our coach and completely altered our season in my opinion.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

GTFLETCH

Banned
I always saw JJ as an AB much like TQM. I think TQM moves back to AB for his senior year. In spring we will see LJ & TO battle it out.

As far as JJ transferring I do not think it has anything to do with playing time, he is going JUCO which tells me that it is academic related as most P-5 to JUCO is bcuz of academics. P-5 to FCS (like JMU) happens when folks are in good academic standing. (Vad left when he was told JT5 would be the starter and MM left due to D. MILLS being the starter and having character flaws)

I think if JJ stayed he would be in the QB battle and asked to move to AB if he was beat out by LJ or TO, however it is JUCO life for the young man. Good Luck

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Baylor lost all 4 of its q b s before the bowl game with ucla. They closed practice and installed a brand new offense with w r doing some passes but mostly a wide gap and fast running option offense They ran for about 700 yards.

Think how good this would have been w 4 qb!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Baylor lost all 4 of its q b s before the bowl game with ucla. They closed practice and installed a brand new offense with w r doing some passes but mostly a wide gap and fast running option offense They ran for about 700 yards.

Think how good this would have been w 4 qb!
Too many men on the field? But I do remember the occasion. They needed one of those rolling counters that marks off distances along streets and highways.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1. If we are in close games, should we disrupt everything to make sure that a backup gets in even if that means losing the game? In the games this year that were well in hand, the backups did play.

2. The issues QBs have with the offense I believe has more to do with timing and reads than understanding the plays. It is easier to know what you should do than it is to decide in microseconds whether to keep or pull and then to keep or pitch. That has nothing to do with knowledge or complexity, it has to do with practice.

3. I haven't watched @Longestday 's analysis of the games this year. Have all of the issues been with the OL? I kind of doubt it.

The completion percentage was the biggest miss on offense. You get that to 52% and this season becomes bearable. I think the OL did fairly well, not perfect but as good as 2016 or better.

The issues in order of importance are: Special teams, passing on the QB side, and then defense scheme given our players. There was also more drops this year on the WR side... similar to the tax slayer bowl. It seems like the team picked up the yips in that bowl game.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
now why would we assume that? Seems to me Tech's football players cope with the load, at least by graduation rates. College and sports, anywhere, is tough,
Alot of tech fans get on their high horse when anything academics is brought up so just ignore them

incognito

Georgia Tech Fan
The completion percentage was the biggest miss on offense. You get that to 52% and this season becomes bearable. I think the OL did fairly well, not perfect but as good as 2016 or better.

The issues in order of importance are: Special teams, passing on the QB side, and then defense scheme given our players. There was also more drops this year on the WR side... similar to the tax slayer bowl. It seems like the team picked up the yips in that bowl game.

Not disagreeing at all, just elaborating IMO,
It was more than just passing, the problem with the offense was that it became a QB-BB offense, one or the other was going to be carrying the ball, and defenses zeroed in on them. Except for the VT game WR and ABs weren't a factor. As for drops or "contested throws', there would've been fewer if the ball had gotten there sooner.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not disagreeing at all, just elaborating IMO,
It was more than just passing, the problem with the offense was that it became a QB-BB offense, one or the other was going to be carrying the ball, and defenses zeroed in on them. Except for the VT game WR and ABs weren't a factor. As for drops or "contested throws', there would've been fewer if the ball had gotten there sooner.
Defenses sold out to stop the edge and we had no answer. I believe if we had had MJ and Mills it would have turned out differently.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Once they figured out that t q was not fast enough to run the seem they waited for him to cut up field. His tendency to not pitch but keep would be dispiriting if I was an a b. Too often there plenty of defenders at the edge.

Per coach pre season comments -- -----potentially best ol and have full confidence in each of the 4 qb.
Not so much

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I always saw JJ as an AB much like TQM. I think TQM moves back to AB for his senior year. In spring we will see LJ & TO battle it out.

As far as JJ transferring I do not think it has anything to do with playing time, he is going JUCO which tells me that it is academic related as most P-5 to JUCO is bcuz of academics. P-5 to FCS (like JMU) happens when folks are in good academic standing. (Vad left when he was told JT5 would be the starter and MM left due to D. MILLS being the starter and having character flaws)

I think if JJ stayed he would be in the QB battle and asked to move to AB if he was beat out by LJ or TO, however it is JUCO life for the young man. Good Luck
Did you really just claim "character flaws" come on you have nothing to prove that, and its not fair to make that statement towards the kids. Also there are plenty of other schools besides Juco that JJ could transfer to and academics not matter imo.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Did you really just claim "character flaws" come on you have nothing to prove that, and its not fair to make that statement towards the kids. Also there are plenty of other schools besides Juco that JJ could transfer to and academics not matter imo.
Marcus Marshall transferred! Fact

D. Mills Dismissed from the team right before the 2017 season after a couple of game 2016 game suspensions! Fact

A character flaw is a limitation, imperfection, problem, or deficiency present in a character who may be otherwise very functional. The flaw can be a problem that directly affects the character's actions and abilities, such as a violent temper. Alternatively, it can be a simple foible or personality defect, which affects the character's motives and social interactions, but little else.

D. Mills had a character flaw and was dismissed, it could be an addiction to weed, or something else! Lets not get into the flaw itself, but at the end of the day it was a big enough flaw that that team had to dismiss him.

Marcus Marshall transferred in good academic standing! So why did he leave? Nevermind my post was about JJ going JUCO because of the rigor of the school! This got a few kid last year also. I think LB Bridges also.. JJ is a good kid, I do not think he has any character flaws, please re read my post I never said JJ had flaws!

I hope JJ goes to a great JUCO gets his grades turned around and gets that degree from a FCS or FBS program!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

D. Mills Dismissed from the team right before the 2017 season after a couple of game 2016 game suspensions! Fact

A character flaw is a limitation, imperfection, problem, or deficiency present in a character who may be otherwise very functional. The flaw can be a problem that directly affects the character's actions and abilities, such as a violent temper. Alternatively, it can be a simple foible or personality defect, which affects the character's motives and social interactions, but little else.

D. Mills had a character flaw and was dismissed, it could be an addiction to weed, or something else! Lets not get into the flaw itself, but at the end of the day it was a big enough flaw that that team had to dismiss him.

Marcus Marshall transferred in good academic standing! So why did he leave? Nevermind my post was about JJ going JUCO because of the rigor of the school! This got a few kid last year also. I think LB Bridges also.. JJ is a good kid, I do not think he has any character flaws, please re read my post I never said JJ had flaws!

I hope JJ goes to a great JUCO gets his grades turned around and gets that degree from a FCS or FBS program!
Did I miss the part about the kid having bad grades?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

First, the school dismissed Mills, not the team. CPJ even said it was not a team rule. Second your definition of "character flaw" is based on fictional stories, you completely ignored the first part of the quote, here's the link.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_flaw

The definition of Character is the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual.
So you are basically questioning his mental or moral qualities/beliefs. I never said Marshal leaving wasn't a fact nor did I deny that Mills was dismissed from the school because they are both facts. But neither one of those things are because of "character flaws" at least not to our knowledge because we don't have FACTS as to why the left. Saying they have a character flaw is just an assumption and not a fair statement.

As far as JJ goes I never said that you said he had flaws, maybe you should go back and read my comment. All I said about JJ was that just because he's going Juco doesn't mean it was grade related (although it could have been) I was simply saying he could have gone to other D1 schools with easy academics.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Straight from the family....

His father said playing time had a role in the decision to leave Georgia Tech. “That was not the main factor,” Warren Marshall said Monday. “The transition from freshman to sophomore, I think there was some disappointment coming into his sophomore year when a freshman (Dedrick Mills) was named the starter. There was some contention there. I think it was a little bit of a personality clash (with coaches), but he never got into any disagreement or argument. We felt like they should make the freshman earn the position. (Mills) fit their profile. (Head coach) Paul Johnson, I have respect for him. He handled us extremely well. We left on good terms.”

Mills was dismissed from Georgia Tech in August.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article189178259.html#storylink=cpy

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Straight from the family....

His father said playing time had a role in the decision to leave Georgia Tech. “That was not the main factor,” Warren Marshall said Monday. “The transition from freshman to sophomore, I think there was some disappointment coming into his sophomore year when a freshman (Dedrick Mills) was named the starter. There was some contention there. I think it was a little bit of a personality clash (with coaches), but he never got into any disagreement or argument. We felt like they should make the freshman earn the position. (Mills) fit their profile. (Head coach) Paul Johnson, I have respect for him. He handled us extremely well. We left on good terms.”

Mills was dismissed from Georgia Tech in August.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article189178259.html#storylink=cpy
I thought Mills did earn the spot, in practice and in games. So I don't get that complaint though overall it is an adult and classy departure. And a reminder I need to watch their next game.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I thought Mills did earn the spot, in practice and in games. So I don't get that complaint though overall it is an adult and classy departure. And a reminder I need to watch their next game.
You know the other thread where C PJ is being bashed for not recruiting... I believe D.Mills was told in the process come to Tech, you will start as you fit our profile of a BBack. As Ware Co was running the same offense as Tech at the time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You know the other thread where C PJ is being bashed for not recruiting... I believe D.Mills was told in the process come to Tech, you will start as you fit our profile of a BBack. As Ware Co was running the same offense as Tech at the time.
I am not disputing you because I just don't know. But if so it would mark in my recollection the first time a GT coach has ever promised a starting position to a recruit. I can see telling somebody he fit the requirements of a position, and that encouraging the recruit. But Johnson has said several times I think that nothing is promised and other recruits have said they weren't promised anything except they could win playing time at practice. So I don't know. I'd sure like to see that clip though. (And if he did that it got back to the team, and that would tick me off royally if I started based on two years of practice. I don't know.)