Jay Jones Transferring

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am not disputing you because I just don't know. But if so it would mark in my recollection the first time a GT coach has ever promised a starting position to a recruit. I can see telling somebody he fit the requirements of a position, and that encouraging the recruit. But Johnson has said several times I think that nothing is promised and other recruits have said they weren't promised anything except they could win playing time at practice. So I don't know. I'd sure like to see that clip though. (And if he did that it got back to the team, and that would tick me off royally if I started based on two years of practice. I don't know.)

It is amazing to me that a player is selected by the media as a pre-season all-ACC running back, but people believe that: he isn't a good player, he only starts because he is the coaches "favorite", and that someone else should have started in his position. I seriously doubt that the coaches at GT, or any other major NCAA team, actually select starters for anything other than the best chance to win.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Mills Dad sat near us. He and family were not together. He was very proud his son was playing well.
Wonder if his high school coach was staying in touch. I know my h s coaching son has made the spiral reverse ( but not always). Too bad the mills spiral could not be reversed. Maybe wasn't meant to be but possibly more gt resources needed for players from non nuclear families.
As a player he had real up side.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It is amazing to me that a player is selected by the media as a pre-season all-ACC running back, but people believe that: he isn't a good player, he only starts because he is the coaches "favorite", and that someone else should have started in his position. I seriously doubt that the coaches at GT, or any other major NCAA team, actually select starters for anything other than the best chance to win.

I understand what you saying, but the truth is that it happens. It happens a lot actually.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you saying, but the truth is that it happens. It happens a lot actually.
Help me understand the dispute here. Is ATL1 saying coaches play favorites over talent "a lot", or is ATL1 saying coaches don't play to win for other reasons: discipline, for instance. (The No. 1 clearly is superior but is a jerk so No. 2 gets the start though the team might lose.) In short, enforce discipline but lose, or go with favorites but lose? If the latter, I agree with RonJohn: the coaches I know want to win far more than playing favorites, and the team sees through it instantly and he loses all of them. So what is the argument, because discipline I buy. That does happen a lot, and should.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Help me understand the dispute here. Is ATL1 saying coaches play favorites over talent "a lot", or is ATL1 saying coaches don't play to win for other reasons: discipline, for instance. (The No. 1 clearly is superior but is a jerk so No. 2 gets the start though the team might lose.) In short, enforce discipline but lose, or go with favorites but lose? If the latter, I agree with RonJohn: the coaches I know want to win far more than playing favorites, and the team sees through it instantly and he loses all of them. So what is the argument, because discipline I buy. That does happen a lot, and should.

From being around players (college & pro)
All the above

Tack on "who the son of" & "this booster contributes so look out", politics of college sports and yeah.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
All the above

Tack on "who the son of" & "this booster contributes so look out", politics of college sports and yeah.

So which particular players on the GT team this year were starters because of their fathers? I know one started a few games, but that was during an injury and he played well during those starts, not perfect but very well for a freshman. One coach's son played special teams and clean up duty, but he played well also. Who are these players that caused us to lose and were only played because of their dads?

My first post about this was about Mills, who some have said wasn't the better player, so who was his dad to have enough influence to get him to be the starter? I guess the press voted him pre-season all-ACC just because of his dad, it had nothing to do with his football play?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
My God! I just realized 40+ years after the fact that the reason I didn’t start at quarterback in high school instead of playing on the offensive and defensive lines was because our coach didn’t like my father! Can I sue someone?!?!?!

But to keep it on topic, I wish the best for JJ unless he goes to another ACC school or that JUCO in Athens.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My God! I just realized 40+ years after the fact that the reason I didn’t start at quarterback in high school instead of playing on the offensive and defensive lines was because our coach didn’t like my father! Can I sue someone?!?!?!

But to keep it on topic, I wish the best for JJ unless he goes to another ACC school or that JUCO in Athens.
For what it is worth in this the Transfer Season, when we tend to lose some players amidst a lot of teeth gnashing and finger pointing: one of the boards I kind of check in on but don't post because they're not "my" team, is Clemson. Last check I made on such things Clemson has had four transfers so far -- not playing much, but none of them said daddies had anything to do with them sitting -- and as of today they have five --count 'em, five -- quarterbacks on the roster. The consensus top three are two five stars and a four-star, freshmen and sophomores. This board expects a couple of them to transfer out. Clemson's mantra is surprisingly like Johnson's -- nobody promised anything, it is all won in competition. I can't be critical of somebody moving on when it is clear he won't see the field much and wants to playl

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
All the above

I don't buy into the daddy story, but here's a look in a different situation by Steve Kerr of the Warriors, talking about wall-to-wall coverage of the Ball family and an ESPN story about the daddy claiming the players wouldn't play for the Lakers' coach:

"He went on to talk about the ESPN story itself, which he thought was a non-story.

“There’s nothing interesting about that story,” Kerr continued. “You know how many parents of my players have probably been at home thinking, ‘Why isn’t he playing my kid?’ Yet we’re sticking a microphone in front of his face because apparently it gets ratings.”

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
All the above

giphy.gif