Jay Jones Transferring

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Tough, but I am not surprised. You can't carry 4 start-worthy QBs and expect none of them to leave. That was my first thought when CPJ was talking about the QB competition in the Fall. Hope Jay's able to get things figured out and plays for a school not on our schedule.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Prediction: Jay Jones never plays QB again, at least not in a real game. I think his playing future is at another position. GT may be the only P5 school that offered him the chance to play QB. I believe everyone else wanted him as an athlete.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
Prediction: Jay Jones never plays QB again, at least not in a real game. I think his playing future is at another position. GT may be the only P5 school that offered him the chance to play QB. I believe everyone else wanted him as an athlete.
Should have just stayed then.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CPJ knows what he's talking about and when asked about JJ moving positions, he gave a small chuckle and said Jay is a QB. Now you could be right but imo Jay is going to be a QB elsewhere.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ knows what he's talking about and when asked about JJ moving positions, he gave a small chuckle and said Jay is a QB. Now you could be right but imo Jay is going to be a QB elsewhere.

Then I hope he goes to a school that runs the triple option. IMO, he just doesn't fit any other offense, not even the spread option that Auburn or Ohio State run. You actually have to be a pretty good passer to run those offenses. Jay is not a good passer.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The decision to transfer has to be tough for any athlete, especially since the future is unknowable. Marcus Marshall would likely have been the #1 B-Back this year, and a P5 1,000 yard rusher, had he not left the program.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Then I hope he goes to a school that runs the triple option. IMO, he just doesn't fit any other offense, not even the spread option that Auburn or Ohio State run. You actually have to be a pretty good passer to run those offenses. Jay is not a good passer.
Lol Jay is not a good passer? I'm sorry, but there is no way any of us fans know that based on the tiny sample we saw of him. I have seen multiple people that attend the practices say he can pass, and even players have hinted at his ability to pass. The spring game when we all saw him he had not practiced all week and was coming off an injury, so that's not really a fair game to judge him by, added on with he only threw 5 passes I believe, 2 completions 1 barley overthrown on a deep pass, 1 incompletion on a somewhat difficult pass and 1 overthrown on an out route. I know it's highlights but just watch his high school tape his senior year and you will see a kid who definitely has the ability to be a good passer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lol Jay is not a good passer? I'm sorry, but there is no way any of us fans know that based on the tiny sample we saw of him. I have seen multiple people that attend the practices say he can pass, and even players have hinted at his ability to pass. The spring game when we all saw him he had not practiced all week and was coming off an injury, so that's not really a fair game to judge him by, added on with he only threw 5 passes I believe, 2 completions 1 barley overthrown on a deep pass, 1 incompletion on a somewhat difficult pass and 1 overthrown on an out route. I know it's highlights but just watch his high school tape his senior year and you will see a kid who definitely has the ability to be a good passer.

Is that why he had so many schools lined up to sign him to play QB for them?!

Seriously, Taquan didn't exactly light it up this year passing the ball, and given JJ's athletic gifts running the ball which it's pretty unanimous might have been the best of all the QBs on our roster, if he's the passer you say he is, why the heck was JJ the 3rd string QB this year (and that's AFTER MJ got hurt...so really, the 4th string QB)? I know you have an emotional attachment to JJ, but come on...

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Because a player is struggling to make it academically....stupid post

What proof is there this is an academic issue? Maybe it is, I have no idea. It sounds, from some of the posts, it might just as well be more GT elitist, excuse making B.S.

If people are saying, on a public forum, that a youngster is having academic issues - prove it.

This has the same tone as those claiming that xyz university is cheating, but then they don’t have the wherewithal to turn them in. Just talk and more talk.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Jay Jones put a post up on Instagram indicating that he is leaving the program. Looks like its LJ and Quon.
Best of luck to Jay. He will find his dream in his own way and in his own time. We have three quarterbacks and all of them need to work at getting better. In any event, quarterbacks transferring is the least of our worries. It has happened in the past and will continue in the future.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Is that why he had so many schools lined up to sign him to play QB for them?!

Seriously, Taquan didn't exactly light it up this year passing the ball, and given JJ's athletic gifts running the ball which it's pretty unanimous might have been the best of all the QBs on our roster, if he's the passer you say he is, why the heck was JJ the 3rd string QB this year (and that's AFTER MJ got hurt...so really, the 4th string QB)? I know you have an emotional attachment to JJ, but come on...
correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you agree that passing is secondary in our system? So even if JJ was the best passer but couldn't get the reads down for running the ball (which is what we primarily do) wouldn't he not be the QB based on that one simple thing? Thy could very easily exsplain him being the 3rd or 4th QB and passing having nothing to do with it. And do you really think that if a kid doesn't have teams lining up at his door that he isn't a good QB? Have you heard the name Baker mayfield? Or Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, or what about 2 star Nick Fitzgerald and Russell Wilson? What you are saying is just an assumption and btw I'm not saying he's this great passer, I was just giving information/facts that contradict what you were saying. Can I ask you what makes you say he's not a good passer? Him not having offers means nothing, and depth chart also means nothing when we are more concerned with running the ball and getting the reads down.