Jacksonville State Postgame Discussion

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Makes sense. Coach Johnson said something in the post game press conference about the offensive line being most affected by the short week and playing a lot of snaps in an emotional loss to Tennessee. They did look like they were having problems with Jax State's line.

I was listening to the radio broadcast and SB stated that he predicted that the offense (particularly the line) would come out a little sluggish because they hadn't had a full contact day all week. He said they needed that and hoped they wouldn't be affected, which obviously they were.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I was VERY encouraged despite the fact we sputtered on O. I expected us to be mentally and physically drained and I believe Jax State is a worth opponent (much better than most think). I believe their D is one of the better ones we'll face (excluding Clemson, of course).

I am now more optimistic about some of the games against lesser lights on our schedule. I like our chances now against Pitt, UNC, UVa, and UCF. Our games against Duke, VPI&SU, WF will be difficult but are certainly winnable. The games against Clemson and UGa looks like tough slogs (I did not watch the ND-UGa game last night but saw the score). Miami remains a wild card to me...I just don't know how they will do this year.

I am thinking 9-3 right now.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I was VERY encouraged despite the fact we sputtered on O. I expected us to be mentally and physically drained and I believe Jax State is a worth opponent (much better than most think). I believe their D is one of the better ones we'll face (excluding Clemson, of course).

I am now more optimistic about some of the games against lesser lights on our schedule. I like our chances now against Pitt, UNC, UVa, and UCF. Our games against Duke, VPI&SU, WF will be difficult but are certainly winnable. The games against Clemson and UGa looks like tough slogs (I did not watch the ND-UGa game last night but saw the score). Miami remains a wild card to me...I just don't know how they will do this year.

I'm thinking 9 wins also but 10 may not be out of the realm of possibility.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It's time to give the Freshman more opportunities on Defense, especially Cortez. All the Linebackers look ready to go.
I thought that coach said that Cortez would redshirt this year because of an injury. I do think that Antwan Owens should get some more time though along with Chris Martin.

Jmonty71

Banned
The D allowed 2 sustained drives. Of 11 JSU drives, only those 2 drives went over 5 plays. I know this game isn't a good barometer for D performance, but jeez, I think you're looking for nits to pick.
If the D comes out like this, the rest of the season, we're in trouble. I think there are areas that need improvement. Ball awareness, for one. Not all the QB's, on the schedule are going to make lame duck passes that are off the mark. Again... maybe it was because we still had folks banged up. Maybe it was because there was next to nothing in game prep. Maybe it was because they were looking past JSU. All are very probable theories. It seems that we have a Dr Jekyll / Mr. Hyde thing going one. One half is great, the other is painful. Maybe it's just me.

Jmonty71

Banned

Meh.. UNC seems to always come up with their best game of the year against us, lately.

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Question for coaches/people more familiar with football than me:

I saw Adams and Devine play almost every snap on their respective sides of the ball in the 2nd half. Even when the game was in hand and other subs were coming in, they played every down. Was this a conditioning plan by the coaching staff or something else? It was just odd given 2nd and 3rd+ stringers went in, but they never came out.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Did Bruce Swilling make it into the game? Not gonna mention the MLB that I feel may need to be replaced.

On the last D series I saw B Swilling and Roof at LB, Vernon and Merriweather at DE, Owens at DT, and Campbell at S. Earlier J Johnson and Adams played. On O I saw the Morgans and Ivenmeyer on the OL as well as L Johnson on the last O series. There were likely others I failed to see. Owens and Roof made their presence known.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If the D comes out like this, the rest of the season, we're in trouble. I think there are areas that need improvement. Ball awareness, for one. Not all the QB's, on the schedule are going to make lame duck passes that are off the mark. Again... maybe it was because we still had folks banged up. Maybe it was because there was next to nothing in game prep. Maybe it was because they were looking past JSU. All are very probable theories. It seems that we have a Dr Jekyll / Mr. Hyde thing going one. One half is great, the other is painful. Maybe it's just me.

It's disingenuous to credit only the QB with a bad pass. Perhaps the fact that we were getting pressure all day led to hurried throws? I know you have an axe to grind with CTR, but this game was a good showing by our D. It's almost to the point where if we get a critical sack, you'll complain that the guy came through the wrong gap.