Jacksonville State Postgame Discussion

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Reflecting back on the game a couple things really stick out to me.

Our defense has been streaky. We have the talent to lock in, I just think we need to figure out a better plan to get the guys playing to their potential. The soft zone coverages we tend to favor have also got to go away (as many of us have said before multiple times).

The offense is going to be scary good during the second half of the season (barring key injuries). When we came out in that double flex tight formation we started to impose our will. After a game that was a heart breaker 5 days prior.

Day games that start at 11:30am my time give me too much time for celebratory whisky. Sunday morning sucked.

Jerry Howard is a stud and I am looking forward to the combo of him, Kirvonte and Quaide.

I'm sticking to my earlier prediction of 3 losses this season. I think it could be a special year if we stay healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
BJS will be starting by year end. So much faster than Brant.
Maybe. It is true that he is faster then our big 3 at LB. But I was watching him and he doesn't really know what to do with that speed yet. When he gets there enough for the coaches to trust him on the field regularly, we will have ourselves a pretty good country football player. Hope that happens this year, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Also, I doubt he will ever beat out Brant. He'll be the last guy replaced, imho.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Early in the game? No, not so much. JSU smacked us in the mouth. The D and the team, in general, started playing as we'd expect. We did not look great in the first half. If the D plays like they did in the 2nd half of the UT game or in the first half of the JSU game, its going to be a long season. If we see the D that played UT in the first half of 2nd of the JSU game, we'll be ok. The D had moments of looking great. Then you saw moments of going WTF??? Its those wtf moments that I want to see go away.

1st series went 5 plays fro 15 yards and a punt.
2nd series was a touchdown.
3rd series went 3 plays for 8 yards and a punt.
4th series went 3 plays for 13 yards and an INT.
5th Series went 5 plays for 38 yards to end the half.
6th series went 2 plays for 3 yards and an INT.
7th series went 1 play for 4 yards and a fumble.
8th series went 3 plays for 8 yards and a punt.
9th series went 11 plays for 65 yards and a FG.
10th series went 3 plays for 4 yards and a punt.
11th series went 3 plays for 8 yards and a punt.

There were 5 sacks, 8 TFL, and 2 QB hurries. This was as complete a game as a D can realistically perform, absent pitching a shutout.

For comparison, LSU, who has a very stout D, played Chattanooga, also a power FCS team, and allowed a 14 play 65 yard drive to start the game. I'm sure no one thinks that the LSU D is going to hell in a hand basket.

Again, I'm not hanging my hat on this performance, but your blasting the D is asinine, and only proves that your anti-CTR agenda is getting in the way of objective observation.

Jmonty71

Banned
1st series went 5 plays fro 15 yards and a punt.
2nd series was a touchdown.
3rd series went 3 plays for 8 yards and a punt.
4th series went 3 plays for 13 yards and an INT.
5th Series went 5 plays for 38 yards to end the half.
6th series went 2 plays for 3 yards and an INT.
7th series went 1 play for 4 yards and a fumble.
8th series went 3 plays for 8 yards and a punt.
9th series went 11 plays for 65 yards and a FG.
10th series went 3 plays for 4 yards and a punt.
11th series went 3 plays for 8 yards and a punt.

There were 5 sacks, 8 TFL, and 2 QB hurries. This was as complete a game as a D can realistically perform, absent pitching a shutout.

For comparison, LSU, who has a very stout D, played Chattanooga, also a power FCS team, and allowed a 14 play 65 yard drive to start the game. I'm sure no one thinks that the LSU D is going to hell in a hand basket.

Again, I'm not hanging my hat on this performance, but your blasting the D is asinine, and only proves that your anti-CTR agenda is getting in the way of objective observation.
We'll see how the season goes. I know Roof is two steps below Jesus, to many apologists. It's a young season. I think the offense can score on almost anyone. Quan needs to learn pass progression a little better. But, give the kid a break. He just completed his 2nd game. I think we are loaded in the A and B back spots. I see potential with the D, I really do. Just needs to get past this broken faucet thing. All hot or all cold. IE; shutting down UT to can't hardly stop UT. I honestly don't think we are loaded on the D, as much as we are loaded on the O. I thought that was the issue, during the UT game. But, then I see the D get ten times better against JSU, in the 2nd half. I don't really know what to expect. I see really smart defense with solid tackling, in one half. Then in another half you see people out of position, making bad reads, bad angles and horrible tackling. So, I really don't know what to make of it. It leaves me scratching my head. And.... I made a deal to not go into the whole "fire Ted Roof" thing. So, I am trying to be objective. I do get credit, where credit is due. However; the gaps need to be pointed out, as well.

So... Here we go.

The positive. We managed to get a pass rush on UT and JSU. May be not a sustained rush. But, we go in the back field a few times. We had a few TFL already. Last year, we had very few. I saw some...key word (some) pre snap movement. Wished we did more. I think our DBs are good enough to cover most WRs

The deltas.. The LB play needs improved. We still tend to show our hand when we blitz. Need to disguise it better. (Note: Late in the JSU, we ran a delayed LB blitz and it worked to a T).. Need more.
We still line 12 yards off the ball on 3rd and 5 plays. I think we give too much of a cushion at times. Lastly, we struggle to cover the slot WR, at times.

Nothing more than views and thoughts.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Haven't seen a lot of big plays/blitzes from Corey Griffin yet this year, and he made several big plays that way a year ago.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Question: does CTR only call LB blitzes when his son is in the game, or is TDR just that much better at blitzing? In either case, great job TDR! What did he play? three snaps? 2.0 sacks!
He pretty much went untouched, but I do think he might have timed it perfectly, and the last one might have been a delay blitz?

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
You r view of the east wasn't as good as mine from the west stands. East and north stands were sparse.

What was worse was the lack of any cheering from those that were in the west stands. Our fan base deserves Rice level of success. Only get up for huge games and even then mostly just make noise on 3rd downs and just b4 the snap then.
BDS is an electric environment. I agree, it wasn't that loud yesterday, but it was Jax St. Theyre no pushover, but don't expect fans to be as locked in and wild as a VT or UGAg game this year. That being said, when we have a big game, especially at night, the crowd is amazing. Think about 2009 VT, 2009 Wake, 2011 Clemson, 2014 Miami, 2015 FSU. I was at those games, and it was loud from start to finish.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I watched l b brent Mitchell from sideline. By end of game he was doing very good on run stop. He was moving on instinct and came off or around blocks to make hard hit in the hole. I have been hard on him so I have to give him some strong props

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched l b brent Mitchell from sideline. By end of game he was doing very good on run stop. He was moving on instinct and came off or around blocks to make hard hit in the hole. I have been hard on him so I have to give him some strong props
He is one IMO who has made strides and has shown more consistency in the first two games. I question our athletic ability when I see a 1AA receiver catch a bubble route and we miss an open field tackle when the defender is in the correct position or when we allow the QB to break contain when we are in perfect position to make the play.

In all fairness though we seemed pretty dead legged probably from the quick turnaround. We also got better as the game went on. I'm very optimistic about the season and congrats to our players and coaches especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
We won 37-10 on 5 days rest against an FCS opponent for whom we are their Superbowl. The thing to take away is that power 5 teams are just slap better than even the best FCS teams. Teams like LSU and Auburn get scares from these guys because their locker room cultures are so messed up and half the team probably got high or drunk the night before. That's my take.