Jacksonville State Postgame Discussion

Milwaukee

Banned
There were too many small children at the game for the crowd to be loud and rowdy. Felt like an annoying daycare center in my section. Couldn't really stand, jump, or yell cause we were worried about stepping on or scaring the children.

It was very weird, and extremely quiet besides the constant screaming and arguing from the kids.

Probably sound like the Grinch, but was there a daycare promo or something going on?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He is one IMO who has made strides and has shown more consistency in the first two games. I question our athletic ability when I see a FCS receiver catch a bubble route and we miss an open field tackle when the defender is in the correct position or when we allow the QB to break contain when we are in perfect position to make the play.

In all fairness though we seemed pretty dead legged probably from the quick turnaround. We also got better as the game went on. I'm very optimistic about the season and congrats to our players and coaches especially on the defensive side of the ball.
Fify.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I watched l b brent Mitchell from sideline. By end of game he was doing very good on run stop. He was moving on instinct and came off or around blocks to make hard hit in the hole. I have been hard on him so I have to give him some strong props
That early play where he just stood there and watched the fumble rolling around on the ground sent me into orbit. You can say he thought it was an incomplete pass, whatever. That will carry no weight with me. That was simply a momentary lack of urgency and hustle. Dive on that thing first and ask questions later.

Lack of hustle has not been a problem of his. In general, he gives me the impression he is a high effort player. That was probably his worst single moment as a Jacket. It happens, but it shouldn't be ignored either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That early play where he just stood there and watched the fumble rolling around on the ground sent me into orbit. You can say he thought it was an incomplete pass, whatever. That will carry no weight with me. That was simply a momentary lack of urgency and hustle. Dive on that thing first and ask questions later.

Lack of hustle has not been a problem of his. In general, he gives me the impression he is a high effort player. That was probably his worst single moment as a Jacket. It happens, but it shouldn't be ignored either.
Brain fart.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just an FYI...

Our vaunted 2009 team "only" beat Jacksonville State 37-17...and they had an entire offseason to rest. The year before, we beat them 41-14 in CPJ's debut. Neither of those JSU teams were as talented as the team we played last Saturday.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Also without naming names, I'll say it was nice to see TD Roof actually wrap up and take the QB to the ground after breaking through during the blitz, instead of just diving and missing.

I'm gonna be honest here...when I watched TD's high school tape, I thought he'd be a tweener. Not big enough to play LB, and not fast enough to play SS. One thing that I did not question about his tape: His ability to finish the play once he got to the ball carrier. Probably the best form tackler I've seen in a recruit in a while. Text book tackling form. If you think about it, that's exactly what you expect out of a coach's son. Great seeing him make those big plays Saturday.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Agree

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm gonna be honest here...when I watched TD's high school tape, I thought he'd be a tweener. Not big enough to play LB, and not fast enough to play SS. One thing that I did not question about his tape: His ability to finish the play once he got to the ball carrier. Probably the best form tackler I've seen in a recruit in a while. Text book tackling form. If you think about it, that's exactly what you expect out of a coach's son. Great seeing him make those big plays Saturday.
Ted should have named him TFL instead of TD. ;)

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Just an FYI...

Our vaunted 2009 team "only" beat Jacksonville State 37-17...and they had an entire offseason to rest. The year before, we beat them 41-14 in CPJ's debut. Neither of those JSU teams were as talented as the team we played last Saturday.
In 2015, we beat Alcorn State and Tulane by a million points to begin the season and we know how the rest of that season went. I'm glad to get the W and hopefully we escaped with no additional injuries. Outside of that, trying to decipher anything from beating a team that we heavily outman is almost impossible IMO. And yes, I realize JSU is a really good FCS team, but they're FCS for a reason.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
In 2015, we beat Alcorn State and Tulane by a million points to begin the season and we know how the rest of that season went. I'm glad to get the W and hopefully we escaped with no additional injuries. Outside of that, trying to decipher anything from beating a team that we heavily outman is almost impossible IMO. And yes, I realize JSU is a really good FCS team, but they're FCS for a reason.

And in Statesboro, after a 22-12 loss to a ranked FCS team in a game that was at one point 22-0, the Eagle faithful are in near mutiny.
The point is, never assume a win over a FCS team just because there are 22 extra scholarships with which to play. Top flight FCS teams are no pushovers. Ask PJ what it was like to take his Georgia Southern team into Corvallis, losing 48-41 with the ball at Oregon State's 20 for the final play.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
And in Statesboro, after a 22-12 loss to a ranked FCS team in a game that was at one point 22-0, the Eagle faithful are in near mutiny.
The point is, never assume a win over a FCS team just because there are 22 extra scholarships with which to play. Top flight FCS teams are no pushovers. Ask PJ what it was like to take his Georgia Southern team into Corvallis, losing 48-41 with the ball at Oregon State's 20 for the final play.
I never said I assume a win because their a FCS team, I just said trying to figure how good GT is or isn't, from this particular game, is a waste. They had a few good players, but the talent level between them and us, is a decent margin. Long story short, we played a very "meh" game, less than 5 days after a gut wrenching loss to a SEC school, and we still beat them by 27 points. JSU would do good to win 1 game in the ACC. That's not a knock on them, that's just the truth.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have been hard on coach pelton so i have to put this in the thread.

After Brent s brain freeze, he came over and sat in his usual place. He was not immediately joined by other players. Gradually some of the back ups came by and then coach pelton came over to brent and extended is hand. They shook hands and pelton gave a big smile and said what appeared to be encouraging words. Things went back to normal.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We won 37-10 on 5 days rest against an FCS opponent for whom we are their Superbowl. The thing to take away is that power 5 teams are just slap better than even the best FCS teams. Teams like LSU and Auburn get scares from these guys because their locker room cultures are so messed up and half the team probably got high or drunk the night before. That's my take.
That was a good win because Jacksonville State will probably be in the FCS Championship Game once again this season.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For most of the first half I watched in horror, my worst fears were coming to fruition ... then TM put the team on his back and willed us to victory.
I think this kid is going to be the real deal ... the right tools and the right attitude !!
I fully agree about the attitude. While I didn't sense that he put his team on his back like Monday, he was still a leader out there and found a way to get it done. It is unrealistic to expect a guy to run crazy every week. It is really nice to know the kid can make throws when he needs to.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I fully agree about the attitude. While I didn't sense that he put his team on his back like Monday, he was still a leader out there and found a way to get it done. It is unrealistic to expect a guy to run crazy every week. It is really nice to know the kid can make throws when he needs to.

I agree about the good throws. Our pass protection is much much improved over the past several years (we saw some improvement in 2016) and our receivers are very consistently sure-handed. It takes all three to be a threat with the pass and for the first time in a long while the pass seems to be a real weapon we can count on.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I thought JSU sold out to stop our option run game. And they had the athletes to make that approach work. It kinda reminded me of how VPI&SU likes to play us defensively. Add in that our O Line was tired both mentally and physically form the short week, and add in #40 on JSU, and you had the perfect storm to stop our running game. I think we'll see a better rushing attack next week.

Given how JSU sold out to stop the run, it looked like we could have apace did all day long agains them. It took CPJ a while (OK, a half) to decide this was the way to go, but once we started throwing the ball, everything went our way....game over.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
BDS is an electric environment. I agree, it wasn't that loud yesterday, but it was Jax St. Theyre no pushover, but don't expect fans to be as locked in and wild as a VT or UGAg game this year. That being said, when we have a big game, especially at night, the crowd is amazing. Think about 2009 VT, 2009 Wake, 2011 Clemson, 2014 Miami, 2015 FSU. I was at those games, and it was loud from start to finish.

Five games in the last ten years. Need I say more?