It's fine

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Here is what I was expecting. First year several wins, 2nd year playing everyone close and another win or two. Third year, corner turned, bowl game, and a promising trajectory.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
True....and this is where the 25% comes in. Ceteris paribus (if you trust Kirby's judgement on this issue and I have no reason not to do that), a good coach will beat a bad coach. This is why the Ga. - Alabama game will be very interesting. The ceteris's and the paribus's will be equal in that game. It is why I think Bama will be SEC champs again. They have the edge in that final 25% of the equation.
Hope you are right. Georgia is finally playing up to their talent level after years of top notch recruiting. Meanwhile everyone else is having a down year -including Alabama.

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
Why am envisioning Baghdad Bob in this thread?
5smh5e.jpg

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem with this is, a good coach would never have had 3 bad seasons. It stems from CGC not being able to recognize good coaches and hire the best he can afford to bring in. The talent was not good when he took over but it was not to the level of W/L that he had. Those bad losses were all on him making bad hires to his staff What about all of the transfers that were supposed to stem the tide while he got his recruits up to speed. Technically they are his guys as well. We need to stop making excuses for him and his complete inability to be a head coach.

I dont understand why there is so much covering for his bad coaching ability. There are fixes that dont entail firing him (Since we cant due to $$) The AD at this point shares a lot of responsibility for not forcing him to take a hard look at his assistants. Time for Todd to step up and put on his big boy pants and put the recruiter in his place. Leverage his strengths and find a way to mitigate his weaknesses (of which he has many)
I hope I don't cover for his mistakes. I don't think he's perfect by any means. I'm understanding of the rebuild he inherited. We had really small O-Linemen, no Tight Ends, and not a lot at WR and we all know CPJ punted on defense anyway. Then Collins lost an entire spring because of Covid. It is what it is. If someone wants to say that's an excuse so they can bury him some more have at it. I just don't understand why anyone that supports this program trashes him and the program the way they do. It's one thing to criticize a decision in the game (going for it on Saturday instead of taking the 3, for example) but some of these posters are damn near giddy when we lose. Most of them have boners for Paul Johnson so it doesn't matter what Collins does. He will always be the bad guy even though he had nothing to do with Johnson either quitting or being forced out.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope I don't cover for his mistakes. I don't think he's perfect by any means. I'm understanding of the rebuild he inherited. We had really small O-Linemen, no Tight Ends, and not a lot at WR and we all know CPJ punted on defense anyway. Then Collins lost an entire spring because of Covid. It is what it is. If someone wants to say that's an excuse so they can bury him some more have at it. I just don't understand why anyone that supports this program trashes him and the program the way they do. It's one thing to criticize a decision in the game (going for it on Saturday instead of taking the 3, for example) but some of these posters are damn near giddy when we lose. Most of them have boners for Paul Johnson so it doesn't matter what Collins does. He will always be the bad guy even though he had nothing to do with Johnson either quitting or being forced out.
This is just wrong. Everyone understands it’s a rebuild. And I promise no one is shocked with losses. Losing has become the GT football way. We get that. All we ask for is a coach now in the 2nd half of year 3 to have his team doing something properly. What we saw in the month of October (Pitt, Duke, UVA, VT) was 4 games against mediocre competition where we never carried one theme across all games other than sucktitude. We didn’t come out of those 4 games feeling good about say the passing game. Or running game, or say defense, or say special teams. We are the exact same as we were at this point last year. And a lot of you say, wait till we get older or wait until Sims is a junior, etc. Do you not realize every team we play is doing the same thing? You say Pitt will lose their NFL prospect QB. Do you not think Pitt isn’t preparing the next QB? We just made Burmeister look legit!!

And why is always about Johnson? He’s been gone for 3 freaking years! He is not our coach. He chose to leave. He has nothing to do with Collins ineptitude. He was as foolish believing his one trick pony QB’s could beat the big boys as much as Collins believes anyone is still buying his words.

The only positive difference I have seen on the football field from last year to this year is that our kicker can now kick it into the end zone on kickoffs so we at least now have to give up 75 yard drives instead of 60 yard drives. Everything else is the same as last year - Gibbs was/is a stud, Carpenter/Juanyeh/Swilling still getting burned, DLine still doing nothing, OLine may be worse, Sims is still dynamic, receivers are adequate, juice crew is average, announcer still sucks, field still looks like garbage, baton girl is at a high level. These last 4 games are going to be ugly. Miami will easily beat us. BC will be another VT type game. ND and UGA will decide what score they want it to be. And when this season is over we will be no better off than we were at the end of last season.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I still believe Collins has the right plan for GT. But it's now going to be a big challenge keeping people engaged long enough for it to come to fruition. Need a good win or two desperately.
Interesting. I guess it’s a good plan if it involves regressing to 3 wins seasons for 5 years so you can eventually get back to 7 win seasons.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
and we all know CPJ punted on defense anyway.

That’s a tried and lazy narrative, mostly propagated by that gasbag Bradley.

In his last five full recruiting classes, per rivals rankings, PJ landed Step Durham, A.J. Gray, Anree Saint-Amour, Jordan Woods, Emanuel Bridges, Brandon Adams, Tre Swilling, Bruce Jordan-Swilling, Gentry Bonds, Kaleb Oliver, Justice Dingle, Jaylon King, Charlie Thomas, to name a few - all either 4 stars or high 3 stars. Brandon Adams was the lowest rated of that group, and frankly, probably had the best NFL future.

That doesn’t include the other 4 star D linemen he had recruited but for whatever reason either didn’t or couldn’t play or just didn’t pan out — Denzel McCoy, JC Lanier, Francis Kallon, Anthony Williams. Jabari Hunt-Days.

It didn’t help when the 2013 class, which even PJ was chagrined by, had most of its defensive players wash out and its two best (PJ Davis and Corey Griffin) were its lowest-rated.

Anybody who thinks PJ didn't care about defense wasn't around him the day he lost the national championship game to UMass. He was more hands on with the defense that spring and fall.
And it was a top 20 D that 99 season to go with his offense.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We are ok. There is a million threads going on and I just want to bring everyone down to earth. We are not the best as of the moment, but When you look and see 85% of our team is freshman and sophmores I feel like we need to stop and take a second to look and just calm down.
This reminds me of Kevin Bacon’s character in the parade sequence at the end of ‘Animal House’.

I hope you’re right Techfan, but I kinda doubt it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure if I completely agree. Nor am I sure if you do either. The larger question is...are you prepared to face an angry mob coming to your castle with pitchforks and torches Dr. Frankenstein?
I think tstan will take donation from anyone.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Everyone's favorite Kirby Smart nails it. And why I support Collins because I do believe the upgrade in talent will pay off.

"No coach can outcoach paying players" There fixed it or the damn SOB. Give him the same players that Vanderbilt has and they would not be able to beat a FCS team.

Animal02

Banned
This is just wrong. Everyone understands it’s a rebuild. And I promise no one is shocked with losses. Losing has become the GT football way. We get that. All we ask for is a coach now in the 2nd half of year 3 to have his team doing something properly. What we saw in the month of October (Pitt, Duke, UVA, VT) was 4 games against mediocre competition where we never carried one theme across all games other than sucktitude. We didn’t come out of those 4 games feeling good about say the passing game. Or running game, or say defense, or say special teams. We are the exact same as we were at this point last year. And a lot of you say, wait till we get older or wait until Sims is a junior, etc. Do you not realize every team we play is doing the same thing? You say Pitt will lose their NFL prospect QB. Do you not think Pitt isn’t preparing the next QB? We just made Burmeister look legit!!

And why is always about Johnson? He’s been gone for 3 freaking years! He is not our coach. He chose to leave. He has nothing to do with Collins ineptitude. He was as foolish believing his one trick pony QB’s could beat the big boys as much as Collins believes anyone is still buying his words.

The only positive difference I have seen on the football field from last year to this year is that our kicker can now kick it into the end zone on kickoffs so we at least now have to give up 75 yard drives instead of 60 yard drives. Everything else is the same as last year - Gibbs was/is a stud, Carpenter/Juanyeh/Swilling still getting burned, DLine still doing nothing, OLine may be worse, Sims is still dynamic, receivers are adequate, juice crew is average, announcer still sucks, field still looks like garbage, baton girl is at a high level. These last 4 games are going to be ugly. Miami will easily beat us. BC will be another VT type game. ND and UGA will decide what score they want it to be. And when this season is over we will be no better off than we were at the end of last season.
It wasn't a necessary rebuild either. We were 7-6 in 2018. not great, but even with the previous off years, more than half of D1 teams would have loved to have our record. Collins came in acting like the there hadn't been a winning season in 20 years. Pissed on everything, and instead of tuning up the used pickup truck until he could afford the Caddy, decide to tear it apart and pretend he was driving a Porsche. Furthermore.....sports exists as an entertainment for the fans.....without which, there is no reason for there to be a team. he basically has flipped off the fan base while he prances around proclaiming his elite status....which everyone now.....except for the cultists....can see is a lot of bunk.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I still believe Collins has the right plan for GT. But it's now going to be a big challenge keeping people engaged long enough for it to come to fruition. Need a good win or two desperately.
The only people that are losing interest are those that frequent sites like this. The average fan will glide along until Collins turns it around and then will jump aboard with both feet. The problem is we overanalyze everything because we're ultra-interested fans. People aren't going to disengage even if we lose the rest of our games. Some on this board, excepted.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The only people that are losing interest are those that frequent sites like this. The average fan will glide along until Collins turns it around and then will jump aboard with both feet. The problem is we overanalyze everything because we're ultra-interested fans. People aren't going to disengage even if we lose the rest of our games. Some on this board, excepted.
Guess you don't sit in the same section I do at the games.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Attendance says otherwise.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s a tried and lazy narrative, mostly propagated by that gasbag Bradley.

In his last five full recruiting classes, per rivals rankings, PJ landed Step Durham, A.J. Gray, Anree Saint-Amour, Jordan Woods, Emanuel Bridges, Brandon Adams, Tre Swilling, Bruce Jordan-Swilling, Gentry Bonds, Kaleb Oliver, Justice Dingle, Jaylon King, Charlie Thomas, to name a few - all either 4 stars or high 3 stars. Brandon Adams was the lowest rated of that group, and frankly, probably had the best NFL future.

That doesn’t include the other 4 star D linemen he had recruited but for whatever reason either didn’t or couldn’t play or just didn’t pan out — Denzel McCoy, JC Lanier, Francis Kallon, Anthony Williams. Jabari Hunt-Days.

It didn’t help when the 2013 class, which even PJ was chagrined by, had most of its defensive players wash out and its two best (PJ Davis and Corey Griffin) were its lowest-rated.

Anybody who thinks PJ didn't care about defense wasn't around him the day he lost the national championship game to UMass. He was more hands on with the defense that spring and fall.
And it was a top 20 D that 99 season to go with his offense.
Whatever. He cycled through Def. Coordinators and every single one of them sucked. Whether it was the poor recruiting or the fact they practiced against the 3O all week or whatever other excuse you have. Remember the last game CPJ coached and the defense he left Collins with?

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
If we were 7-1 or whatever Wake Forest is we would have 40k in the stands. Atlanta is a fair weather town.

Did you see the Falcons game yesterday? 1/3 full.
Atlanta is a town with a lot of entertainment alternatives. In the good old days there were no Braves, no Falcons, no GaZU, ... Is the current GT entertaining?