It's fine

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
This is just wrong. Everyone understands it’s a rebuild. And I promise no one is shocked with losses. Losing has become the GT football way. We get that. All we ask for is a coach now in the 2nd half of year 3 to have his team doing something properly. What we saw in the month of October (Pitt, Duke, UVA, VT) was 4 games against mediocre competition where we never carried one theme across all games other than sucktitude. We didn’t come out of those 4 games feeling good about say the passing game. Or running game, or say defense, or say special teams. We are the exact same as we were at this point last year. And a lot of you say, wait till we get older or wait until Sims is a junior, etc. Do you not realize every team we play is doing the same thing? You say Pitt will lose their NFL prospect QB. Do you not think Pitt isn’t preparing the next QB? We just made Burmeister look legit!!

And why is always about Johnson? He’s been gone for 3 freaking years! He is not our coach. He chose to leave. He has nothing to do with Collins ineptitude. He was as foolish believing his one trick pony QB’s could beat the big boys as much as Collins believes anyone is still buying his words.

The only positive difference I have seen on the football field from last year to this year is that our kicker can now kick it into the end zone on kickoffs so we at least now have to give up 75 yard drives instead of 60 yard drives. Everything else is the same as last year - Gibbs was/is a stud, Carpenter/Juanyeh/Swilling still getting burned, DLine still doing nothing, OLine may be worse, Sims is still dynamic, receivers are adequate, juice crew is average, announcer still sucks, field still looks like garbage, baton girl is at a high level. These last 4 games are going to be ugly. Miami will easily beat us. BC will be another VT type game. ND and UGA will decide what score they want it to be. And when this season is over we will be no better off than we were at the end of last season.
So we're rebuilding from a 7-6 to 11-3 kind of team to what? What's the upside?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of us were hoping (and even expecting) to be winning more games by year 3 but to say that we have been declining over the last 3 years is ridiculous. Every year we have been a little more competitive in our games. This year we have been in position to win most of the games which can't be said for last year and definitely not the year before.

Additionally, we are expecting our coordinators to be the best of the best but we can't afford to pay them better than many position coaches at the big name schools. If we were throwing Clemson type money at our program and the results were the same that is different. We need to understand the reality of where we are and temper our expectations accordingly.

When O'Leary was interviewed during the VPI game he said that Collins is rebuilding the program the right way and it just takes time. I wish we were further along but still believe they are building a better program from the ground up.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Most of us were hoping (and even expecting) to be winning more games by year 3 but to say that we have been declining over the last 3 years is ridiculous. Every year we have been a little more competitive in our games. This year we have been in position to win most of the games which can't be said for last year and definitely not the year before.

Additionally, we are expecting our coordinators to be the best of the best but we can't afford to pay them better than many position coaches at the big name schools. If we were throwing Clemson type money at our program and the results were the same that is different. We need to understand the reality of where we are and temper our expectations accordingly.

When O'Leary was interviewed during the VPI game he said that Collins is rebuilding the program the right way and it just takes time. I wish we were further along but still believe they are building a better program from the ground up.

This year most the teams we have faced are awful. To say we looked better against clempson is more about where clempson is this year than us. Everyone looks better against clempson. Duke is the same way. Duke is at an all time low, and it took all we had to beat them. NIL is a super young team. We are bigger and faster and have way more "Stars" we don't look like were improving.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Nobody expects our coordinators to be the best of the best, we just expect them not to be the worst of the worst. We have had a severely underfunded staff for years relative to our peers, but we still got halfway decent coaches for most of it who could at least field a mediocre defense and decent offense.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

As the poster above stated, no one here has ever said we needed to win a certain number of games or have the best schemes or coordinators. But what we do expect is something that resembles a real football team. Swilling getting burned on a fade happens. No problem. The QB makes a good pass to the pylon, the reviewer has a few inches on Swilling and makes the catch, no problem with that. But we aren’t seeing that. We are seeing recievers being uncovered and RB’s not being touched. We are seeing pass first QB’s have career days running the ball.

I have no problem with Collins rebuild other than he can’t coach them. What good does it do to have 4 stars if they don’t know what to do? The players aren’t dumb. A lot of them come from really good high school programs that can coach circles around our staff. Just wait until Saturday and we’ll see the exact same screwups we’ve seen all season. My son and I have started betting on which quarter we’ll have to waste a timeout due to either substitutions coming in late or play clock winding down.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
My son and I have started betting on which quarter we’ll have to waste a timeout due to either substitutions coming in late or play clock winding down.

That has been a point with me since early last year. Every game is the same thing we always every freaking game waste Time Outs. Thats not a player problem. Something so easy to fix that is so important in close games. And we have not improved at all.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
on that we disagree. I’ve been watching attendance decline steadily regardless of previous years records.
All things are relative. You have to take into account the steady decline of all publically attended sporting events. Our decline hasn't been any more precipitous than any other program. If you disagree with that, then we needn't continue the dialog.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't a necessary rebuild either. We were 7-6 in 2018. not great, but even with the previous off years, more than half of D1 teams would have loved to have our record. Collins came in acting like the there hadn't been a winning season in 20 years. Pissed on everything, and instead of tuning up the used pickup truck until he could afford the Caddy, decide to tear it apart and pretend he was driving a Porsche. Furthermore.....sports exists as an entertainment for the fans.....without which, there is no reason for there to be a team. he basically has flipped off the fan base while he prances around proclaiming his elite status....which everyone now.....except for the cultists....can see is a lot of bunk.
A 7 win season? How quaint. Coach Collins would strike a Faustian bargain with old Scratch himself for 7 wins next year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
All things are relative. You have to take into account the steady decline of all publically attended sporting events. Our decline hasn't been any more precipitous than any other program. If you disagree with that, then we needn't continue the dialog.

I'll have to find the article where someone ranked all the FBS schools by attendance as measured by % of stadium capacity. (That kept it fair in terms of a team with a 35k stadium competing with tOSU, Michigan, or the SEC giants.) GT ranked 49th with just north of 85% capacity. (Bear in mind this is reported attendance, not actual turnstile #s) This was data from 2019. I'll grant that 2020, and 2021 to a large degree, have to be thrown out due to COVID, but we are losing more fans in seats than the factories. Winning will drive the numbers upward, but they won't fix the long term problem which is fan replenishment. Simply stated, our team isn't generating new fans in enough numbers to drive attendance. This is why I have been a proponent of downsizing the stadium to about 45k seats and upgrading those existing areas into more premium amenities.

If you want to insist that, in spite of all data to the contrary, GT is keeping pace with everyone else in the nation regarding attendance, then yes, there is no point in dialoging about it.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
And as soon as he starts winning (which I think he will), attendance will say otherwise again. Tech fans are and always have been fair-weather fans when it comes to attendance.
I don't think simply winning will fill the stands again. It will take a team full of Atlanta area players putting on a spectacle (likely offensively) to attract people with no direct affiliation to GT.

SpaldingJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It wasn't a necessary rebuild either. We were 7-6 in 2018. not great, but even with the previous off years, more than half of D1 teams would have loved to have our record. Collins came in acting like the there hadn't been a winning season in 20 years. Pissed on everything, and instead of tuning up the used pickup truck until he could afford the Caddy, decide to tear it apart and pretend he was driving a Porsche. Furthermore.....sports exists as an entertainment for the fans.....without which, there is no reason for there to be a team. he basically has flipped off the fan base while he prances around proclaiming his elite status....which everyone now.....except for the cultists....can see is a lot of bunk.