It's fine

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
This is my most burning question. We struggle mightily to get pressure with 4 DL. So why on earth are we trying to run the 3-3-5? It boggles the mind.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I respectfully disagree with you on this. There is ALWAYS hope, but unfortunately the program is declining right before our eyes, IMO. When we started
this year I was truly hopeful, but had a nagging feeling that something was missing. After 7 games this year, I think I can define it. We have a HC who either was not ready to be a HC now , or had risen to his true level of competence as a DC years ago. I have no animosity toward CGC. I always wanted to be an MD, but didn't have the grades. But just REALLY wanting something and even the ability to convince others ( TStan) that you can do it, does not make it so.
The level of preparation, especially when we only have a normal week to prepare , has bothered me since day one. Almost without exception, we have had to play catch up in the 1st quarter and we don't seem to have the coaches, schemes, or athletes to accomplish that. We seem to be totally reactionary in our approach , as if we will figure it out as the game goes along.
Everybody says we look "slow". We "look" slow to react because we are NOT PREPARED , and our current skill levels do not enable us to compensate for that lack of preparation. After we finish another year 3-9 I think even the hopeful will come to realize that this has been a painful mistake.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
We are ok. There is a million threads going on and I just want to bring everyone down to earth. We are not the best as of the moment, but When you look and see 85% of our team is freshman and sophmores I feel like we need to stop and take a second to look and just calm down.
iu

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I respectfully disagree with you on this. There is ALWAYS hope, but unfortunately the program is declining right before our eyes, IMO. When we started
this year I was truly hopeful, but had a nagging feeling that something was missing. After 7 games this year, I think I can define it. We have a HC who either was not ready to be a HC now , or had risen to his true level of competence as a DC years ago. I have no animosity toward CGC. I always wanted to be an MD, but didn't have the grades. But just REALLY wanting something and even the ability to convince others ( TStan) that you can do it, does not make it so.
The level of preparation, especially when we only have a normal week to prepare , has bothered me since day one. Almost without exception, we have had to play catch up in the 1st quarter and we don't seem to have the coaches, schemes, or athletes to accomplish that. We seem to be totally reactionary in our approach , as if we will figure it out as the game goes along.
Everybody says we look "slow". We "look" slow to react because we are NOT PREPARED , and our current skill levels do not enable us to compensate for that lack of preparation. After we finish another year 3-9 I think even the hopeful will come to realize that this has been a painful mistake.
I have this horrible fear that we are slowly turning into duke or worse- apathetic alumni, non-existent sidewalk fans, declining crowds, no money, no hope, no future.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We are ok. There is a million threads going on and I just want to bring everyone down to earth. We are not the best as of the moment, but When you look and see 85% of our team is freshman and sophmores I feel like we need to stop and take a second to look and just calm down.
Even I don't drink this early good job don't stop drinking till after the uga game

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
btw, the norm is 70% frosh and sophs, just as an FYI. We ain't *that* young compared to the norm.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, everybody is young. On ever message board I go to (and I go to a lot), I see "we're really young", but honestly, while some teams are a LITTLE younger than others, every single team has more underclassmen than upperclassmen.

1) Covid redshirt year means everybody is back a year
2) Redshirts
3) Portal attrition
4) Regular attrition.

There are ALWAYS more freshman and sophomores than juniors and seniors, and this is especially true with covid (think Jeff Sims being a freshman).

To wit, I looked at the following rosters (source: CBS Sports, because it's easy to format into a spreadsheet): at your schedule.

GT has 97/124 (78%) Freshmen and Sophomore:
NU: 98/114 (86%)
KSU: 71/105 (67%)
Clemson: 88/130 (68%)
UNC: 75/112 (67%)
Pitt: 74/125 (59%)
Duke: 67/114 (59%)
UVA: 77/126 ( 61%)
VT: 94/126 (75%)
Miami: 83/110 (75%) (only 9 seniors!)
BC: 64/114 (56%)
ND: 72/112 (64%)
UGA: 90/132 (68%)

As you see, you guys are on they younger end, but you're not outside the "normal range"

Further, probably the 2 worst teams on your schedule are the 2 oldest (Duke and BC).

I don't know that I buy "we're young" very much.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I think we are young, but we are young where it hurts to be young the most, on the line of scrimmage in the 2 deep.

OL has older starters for the most part, but their backups are young. 6 freshman or Covid freshman there and they have been pressed into service due to injury. TE has a freshman, a covid soph, and a converted LS.

DL has Brooks and Dominick who have experience, but everyone else is underclassman, and our two highly regarded older transfers have not played.

I’m of the mind that we aren’t especially young overall, but I think you couldn’t ask for worse position groups to be young in. Also it looks to be lopsided, in that the younger guys have more innate talent but the seasoning/strength/experience edge goes to the older guys and the young guns aren’t ready for prime time.

A guy like Ivey would get 5-10 snaps per game at a place like Clemson the last two years then he would be tearing through guys in 2022. We just don’t have that luxury here.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
FWIW, everybody is young. On ever message board I go to (and I go to a lot), I see "we're really young", but honestly, while some teams are a LITTLE younger than others, every single team has more underclassmen than upperclassmen.

1) Covid redshirt year means everybody is back a year
2) Redshirts
3) Portal attrition
4) Regular attrition.

There are ALWAYS more freshman and sophomores than juniors and seniors, and this is especially true with covid (think Jeff Sims being a freshman).

To wit, I looked at the following rosters (source: CBS Sports, because it's easy to format into a spreadsheet): at your schedule.

GT has 97/124 (78%) Freshmen and Sophomore:
NU: 98/114 (86%)
KSU: 71/105 (67%)
Clemson: 88/130 (68%)
UNC: 75/112 (67%)
Pitt: 74/125 (59%)
Duke: 67/114 (59%)
UVA: 77/126 ( 61%)
VT: 94/126 (75%)
Miami: 83/110 (75%) (only 9 seniors!)
BC: 64/114 (56%)
ND: 72/112 (64%)
UGA: 90/132 (68%)

As you see, you guys are on they younger end, but you're not outside the "normal range"

Further, probably the 2 worst teams on your schedule are the 2 oldest (Duke and BC).

I don't know that I buy "we're young" very much.
I also don't buy the "recruiting" angle either. For the last 5 years, there have been 27 teams ranked in the top 20 WRT recruiting (based on 24/7 sports) 9 of those teams are currently ranked in the top twenty.
All 9 were ranked in the top twenty at least 4 of the 5 years. On the other hand 7 teams were ranked in the top 20 in at least 4 of the last 5 years and are not currently ranked in the top 20.

There is obviously so much more than "recruiting"