*** **** is back in jail again

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Well, more information is leaking out and it looks very dire for our pal Ron. At first it was reported that he had an outstanding warrant out for his arrest for a robbery charge from the late 1990s. Thanks to a reporter from Arizona, Caitlin Schmidt, we now know that he was arrested last week on a probation revocation that occurred in 2001 for an armed robbery conviction in Cobb County from 2000. That changes everything and here's why.

Proving a 20 year old case is really difficult. The detectives have retired, witnesses die or move away, memories fade etc. But a probation revocation is the easiest thing in the world. If he was on probation in 2001 he obviously pleaded guilty in 2000 to armed robbery. And if his probation was revoked in 2001 and he wasn't immediately jailed, it means he quit reporting and fled the jurisdiction. So, here's what happened next in 2001. Before they do the pleas calendar in Cobb Superior Court, they usually do probation revocations. Ron's undoubtedly took less than a minute. The probation officer stated under oath that he quit reporting and fled the jurisdiction. He/she asked that the probation be revoked and a bench warrant issue for his arrest. The Judge granted it and moved on to the next revocation.

When Ron is extradited and gets back to Georgia he literally has no credible legal argument to make to fight his probation revocation. All he can do is throw himself on the mercy of the court. I've represented plenty of criminals at revocations and if they quit reporting all you can do is argue that your client has been a good boy or girl since they violated their probation. Given Ron's subsequent conduct, he is not going to be finding a very sympathetic judge, especially for an armed robbery conviction. The judge can sentence him to serve in prison up to whatever time he had left on probation (or, if he somehow was on a First Offender plea, basically sentence him up to 19 years in prison or more).

Ron Bell is in a world of hurt. It couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

Here's the link to the Caitlin Schmidt interview https://player.fm/series/zach-clark-instant-replay/ep-3-19-caitlin-schmidt-interview
Don't bend over @MiracleWhips

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
These bureaucratic screw-ups happen a lot. It could be that Cobb didn't report it properly and it never made the NCIC. It could be that Arizona ran his state wide records but didn't run his NCIC. It could be anything. But if Ron thought this was gone for good he made a huge miscalculation. There's no statute of limitation on a probation revocation.

Why the no bond? Flight risk, I guess?

Deleted member 2897

This still pisses me off. I ultimately quit my membership in a sister site (FTRS) for a variety of reasons, but the straw that broke the camels back was their refusal to report any of the full context around CJPs being sued and to provide even the most tepid of support, benefit of the doubt, or loyalty for him. Given everything we know about this situation I still find that obnoxious and infuriating.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
"On Tuesday, Pima County Superior Court Judge Lee Ann Roads denied Bell’s request for a $5,000 bond, saying that civil law does not allow her to offer bail on probation or parole violations." Yeah, duh.

“We think this is very much connected to the other case,” Gattone told the Star after the hearing, referencing the defamation case that Pastner levied against Bell and his fiancée, Jennifer Pendley, in January. Bell and Pendley filed a counterclaim in response, saying that Pastner sexually assaulted Pendley in 2016. “Someone is digging up dirt,” Gattone added. “I would hope that the other side wouldn’t have had anything to do with (Bell’s arrest), but it’s an awfully big coincidence.” Welcome to the Big Leagues, Sparky. Of course they did.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...cle_c31f368e-9424-5738-bf55-7c1d2ad4bddc.html

This argument that the paperwork got mixed up is pretty bogus. Transferring probation between states isn't uncommon, but any attorney will tell you that it needs to be done very carefully. Your local probation officer is involved and must approve it. Disappearing and saying the paperwork wasn't filed will be met very skeptically.

I'll bet there is a war going on in the Cobb Police Department between the detectives over who goes to get Ron. A free trip to Phoenix this time of year for 2 of Cobb's finest is pretty appealing.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"On Tuesday, Pima County Superior Court Judge Lee Ann Roads denied Bell’s request for a $5,000 bond, saying that civil law does not allow her to offer bail on probation or parole violations." Yeah, duh.

“We think this is very much connected to the other case,” Gattone told the Star after the hearing, referencing the defamation case that Pastner levied against Bell and his fiancée, Jennifer Pendley, in January. Bell and Pendley filed a counterclaim in response, saying that Pastner sexually assaulted Pendley in 2016. “Someone is digging up dirt,” Gattone added. “I would hope that the other side wouldn’t have had anything to do with (Bell’s arrest), but it’s an awfully big coincidence.” Welcome to the Big Leagues, Sparky. Of course they did.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...cle_c31f368e-9424-5738-bf55-7c1d2ad4bddc.html

This argument that the paperwork got mixed up is pretty bogus. Transferring probation between states isn't uncommon, but any attorney will tell you that it needs to be done very carefully. Your local probation officer is involved and must approve it. Disappearing and saying the paperwork wasn't filed will be met very skeptically.

I'll bet there is a war going on in the Cobb Police Department between the detectives over who goes to get Ron. A free trip to Phoenix this time of year for 2 of Cobb's finest is pretty appealing.

So if they go get Ron and bring him back to Georgia, what are the chances he then ends up having a warrant issued for violating the Gurley law?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Thanks for your insight on this matter. It's good to have folks around with first hand knowledge.

Would you be available to represent someone accused of murder? Just asking ... for a friend ... who may or may not be about to ring his brother-in-law's neck :mad: ... allegedly.:sneaky:

Seriously, appreciate the knowledge.

Deleted member 2897

Bell’s attorney, Paul Gattone, said his client — who was brought into court in a wheelchair — has “serious health concerns” that weren’t being addressed in jail.

Gattone also said Ron had been trying to exercise on a bike while in jail, but had found it too painful.

giphy.gif

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I knew someone a number of years ago serving probation in Alabama that moved to Georgia. He had to apply to the court in Birmingham to move to Douglas County, which they granted and transferred his probation to Georgia. He knew his Georgia probation officer before he left Alabama. For Bell's attorney to say the paperwork was misfiled is phony.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel icky for liking this post. Kind of.
I don’t know most of you all personally but if you have the same mindset that I do on this matter .... it’s REALLY hard to feel any sympathy for the guy after how he baited our players, after listening to that gloating radio interview, etc. I’m a really nice person, but I can’t help but think that this must be what karma looks like.