*** **** is back in jail again

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
So our pal Ron is heading back to Georgia. As we expected, he waived extradition because fighting it would have been counterproductive. So, when he gets back to Cobb County they will set a revocation court date, typically in around 30 days but it could be longer than that. As an attorney, if I think my client is heading to prison I’m in no hurry to have a hearing because the Cobb County jail is more pleasant than the penal system (or, more accurately, less unpleasant).

At the hearing, the State will have the burden of proof to establish that Ron pleaded guilty to armed robbery, was sentenced to probation and that he violated his probation by failing to report for 17 years. The State will offer any aggravating evidence it deems relevant, such as subsequent crimes, or relevant behavior, such as the fact that the police have been called to his house some 20 times in the last 2 years. Ron will probably challenge the probation revocation on the grounds that it was all a big mix-up – yeah, good luck with that – and try to establish that he’s now living a law abiding life and it would serve no purpose to lock him back up. He could try and bring in character witnesses, but who would stand up for him? His parents have reportedly disowned him.

Judge Childs will hear the evidence and issue a ruling. She is a tough on crime judge and it’s hard to believe she’ll have much sympathy. Probation revocations usually go by pretty quickly, a few minutes to maybe an hour. If she revokes him he goes right into the penal system. Because he was a fool and picked First Offender status, she can sentence him to literally whatever she wants.

The interesting issue goes to the Gurley law. If as DTM pointed out he bought the plane tickets and they flew out of Atlanta, GT can have him charged with these misdemeanors. The Institute backed Josh’s lawsuit against Ron, which means to me they completely have his back. The facts are actually pretty egregious in this case. Ron wasn’t some doofus booster slipping some cash to kids, but did this solely with the purpose of having them declared ineligible and causing damage to GT. He would make a great test case of the new law and every college starting with UGA will be vocally cheering Tech on.

One last thought: Ron has one last card to play with regard to Tech: he can publicly acknowledge that his counterclaim was complete BS and settle the lawsuit. In return, GT could agree that any sentence issued for the Gurley violations would be served concurrently with his revoked sentence, and not consecutively (which would add more time). Or GT could just say screw it and push for him to get even more time. The more I think about it the more I hope the Institute goes after him hard on the Gurley violations. He caused a lot of damage to GT and CJP. He’s a loathsome person who deserves everything bad that happens to him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The interesting issue goes to the Gurley law. If as DTM pointed out he bought the plane tickets and they flew out of Atlanta, GT can have him charged with these misdemeanors. The Institute backed Josh’s lawsuit against Ron, which means to me they completely have his back. The facts are actually pretty egregious in this case. Ron wasn’t some doofus booster slipping some cash to kids, but did this solely with the purpose of having them declared ineligible and causing damage to GT. He would make a great test case of the new law and every college starting with UGA will be vocally cheering Tech on.

One last thought: Ron has one last card to play with regard to Tech: he can publicly acknowledge that his counterclaim was complete BS and settle the lawsuit. In return, GT could agree that any sentence issued for the Gurley violations would be served concurrently with his revoked sentence, and not consecutively (which would add more time). Or GT could just say screw it and push for him to get even more time. The more I think about it the more I hope the Institute goes after him hard on the Gurley violations. He caused a lot of damage to GT and CJP. He’s a loathsome person who deserves everything bad that happens to him.

IMO GT needs to go hard after him for publicity if nothing else. We need it out there as much as possible what the situation actually is, and if the Institute is backing Pastner and actively seeking some form of punishment against whatshisface then that is news and it paints the entire story in a different light. It isn't just a token jesture of support. It's an active denial of wrongdoing and puts this case in contrast with other cases where universities tried to distance themselves from things in anticipation of backlash coming.

All imo though.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
@brandon_cox Thank you so much for all of your insight and "film breakdown" for lack of a better term.

I'm curious to see if/how the girlfriend's story changes now that she is not longer cohabitating with RB. If our hypothesis that she was pressured by Ron into fabricating the assault story is correct, then she may change her story in the near future.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious to see if/how the girlfriend's story changes now that she is not longer cohabitating with RB. If our hypothesis that she was pressured by Ron into fabricating the assault story is correct, then she may change her story in the near future.

That’s a great point. I hope you’re right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

IMO GT needs to go hard after him for publicity if nothing else. We need it out there as much as possible what the situation actually is, and if the Institute is backing Pastner and actively seeking some form of punishment against whatshisface then that is news and it paints the entire story in a different light. It isn't just a token jesture of support. It's an active denial of wrongdoing and puts this case in contrast with other cases where universities tried to distance themselves from things in anticipation of backlash coming.

All imo though.

I am hopeful this is what the official investigation that Georgia Tech initiated through an independent 3rd party will result in. If the investigation is thorough (and I'm sure Tech can supply information like this to make sure they have it), I see no reason why it won't be published in full. In the interest of transparency, it really should be fully published for anybody to read. Lets say that this situation didn't have all the bizareness and we just didn't know what was real and if CJP was clean or not - if they exonerated CJP in the investigation, they would need to publish everything so we can see why. Its only fair to CJP, the program, and everyone around it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I am glad this guy is getting his just deserts but this feels like a lot of misdirection instead of proving innocence to me.

Granted, the allegations against CJP are typically he said she said type stuff, I just, I dunno, something feels a bit off.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am glad this guy is getting his just deserts but this feels like a lot of misdirection instead of proving innocence to me.

Granted, the allegations against CJP are typically he said she said type stuff, I just, I dunno, something feels a bit off.

What are you talking about?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What are you talking about?

I dunno.

I feels like a “look over here” tactic instead of just proving CJPs innocence. (Although that’s a difficult task in these cases)

I guess what I’m really wondering is will this mess *** **** is currently in lead to a dismissal of the suit brought against CJP? Or are we just burning the guys life to ground as amusement because he’s a scumbag

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I dunno.

I feels like a “look over here” tactic instead of just proving CJPs innocence. (Although that’s a difficult task in these cases)

I guess what I’m really wondering is will this mess *** **** is currently in lead to a dismissal of the suit brought against CJP? Or are we just burning the guys life to ground as amusement because he’s a scumbag

Yes

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
I dunno.

He’s accountable for his own actions - if his life is burning to the ground he only has himself to blame.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
I dunno.

With all due respect, this is a mischaracterization of what is occurring. Ron Bell is a fugitive from justice who fled the jurisdiction after pleading guilty to armed robbery. He is not being prosecuted by Georgia Tech, he's being prosecuted by the state of Georgia. His current legal difficulties totally stem from epically bad choices he made in 2000-2001. Not to be glib, but if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

edited to add: armed robbery is one of the top 5 serious felonies one can commit in Georgia. He was given an absolute gift of probation. To fail to meet his obligations of probation was mind numbingly irresponsible. Now he's facing the consequences of his bad choices.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect, this is a mischaracterization of what is occurring. Ron Bell is a fugitive from justice who fled the jurisdiction after pleading guilty to armed robbery. He is not being prosecuted by Georgia Tech, he's being prosecuted by the state of Georgia. His current legal difficulties totally stem from epically bad choices he made in 2000-2001. Not to be glib, but if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Right, but it seems fairly safe to assume that GT had a hand in this matter, correct?

So I guess my question remains will this lead to vindication for CJP or just punishment for Ron Bell

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Right, but it seems fairly safe to assume that GT had a hand in this matter, correct?

So I guess my question remains will this lead to vindication for CJP or just punishment for Ron Bell

Josh Pastner's PIs evidently alerted the state of Georgia that Ron was a fugitive from justice. That is a public service that we should all be grateful for.

Whether this will lead to a vindication for CJP remains to be seen. I believe it ultimately will, but that is a complete guess on my part.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I dunno.

Lookit here, boys. We gotta Ronny B sympathizer up in here.

Seriously though, I get what you're saying but I don't think one necessarily has anything to do with the other.

Seems they were looking into the guy. You know, typical prelim background check. Stumbled upon a loose end that would necessitate reincarnating the guy. Should they have sat on it?

Doesn't mean they were sitting in a room thinking, "Ah sh*t. They got us boys. Let's dig up sum dirt so's this guy'll never be around to testify. MWAHAHAHHHAA."

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Josh Pastner's PIs evidently alerted the state of Georgia that Ron was a fugitive from justice. That is a public service that we should all be grateful for.

Whether this will lead to a vindication for CJP remains to be seen. I believe it ultimately will, but that is a complete guess on my part.

You sir are a welcome addition to the site.

Next time I commit a felony, I know who to call .... wait, I object, Your Honor. Let the previous sentence be stricken from the record.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lookit here, boys. We gotta Ronny B sympathizer up in here.

Seriously though, I get what you're saying but I don't think one necessarily has anything to do with the other.

Seems they were looking into the guy. You know, typical prelim background check. Stumbled upon a loose end that would necessitate reincarnating the guy. Should they have sat on it?

Doesn't mean they were sitting in a room thinking, "Ah sh*t. They got us boys. Let's dig up sum dirt so's this guy'll never be around to testify. MWAHAHAHHHAA."
I think I understand where @Peacone36 is coming from. All of this trouble Ron is having to deal with does not address the charge made by the rich and beautiful girlfriend that Josh forced her to have oral sex with him. Brandon may be correct that Ron probably controls girlfriend's next move, but we don't know that for certain. Ron could soon be submitting a change of address to Reidsville and Josh might still be answering her claim in court. It would be nice if that gets resolved pretty soon.