*** **** is back in jail again

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don’t know most of you all personally but if you have the same mindset that I do on this matter .... it’s REALLY hard to feel any sympathy for the guy after how he baited our players, after listening to that gloating radio interview, etc. I’m a really nice person, but I can’t help but think that this must be what karma looks like.

Mmhmm, this is indeed what karma looks like ...

5ab148dc512e1.image.jpg

That's the face you make when you realize you probably shouldn'tve sauntered out of prison 10 years ago giving all the tough dudes the double bird finger.

Ol' MiracleRon was probably going up in their faces like ...

Mistake. They all knew he'd be back ... someday.

Meanwhile, CPast be on vacation like ...

Deleted member 2897

Mmhmm, this is indeed what karma looks like ...

5ab148dc512e1.image.jpg

That's the face you make when you realize you probably shouldn'tve sauntered out of prison 10 years ago giving all the tough dudes the double bird finger.

Ol' MiracleRon was probably going up in their faces like ...

Mistake. They all knew he'd be back ... someday.

Meanwhile, CPast be on vacation like ...

This needs 20 likes by bedtime please.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, our pal Ron has a big day ahead of him tomorrow. His extradition hearing was continued until Tuesday. So, what happens next? Here are a few educated guesses.

Will he fight extradition? He could, but why? Given that Georgia has a probation revocation warrant for armed robbery, he’s going to get extradited sooner or later. He’s pretty much at the mercy of Cobb County and should be looking to appear as cooperative as possible.

What awaits him in Cobb County? The records are pretty garbled online (no surprise since they’re from 17 years ago) so we’ll have to see. Best guess is he pleaded guilty to armed robbery under the GA First Offender Act either in September of 2000 or February of 2001. His probation looks to have been revoked on 09-11-2001 (yikes).

If he did plead guilty under the First Offender Act, he can be resentenced to up to life imprisonment (though that’s highly unlikely). His fate will be decided by the Cobb Probation Office, the Cobb DA’s office and ultimately Judge Childs (who inherited his case from Judge Grubbs, who retired in 2016).

If Ron goes back to prison, will this derail the civil case? No. I’ve taken depositions out at County Farm Road (although they’ve been for domestic cases) and in some pretty nasty prisons. The civil case will continue regardless of where Ron ends up.

Will Ron be charged under the Gurley law? That’s unlikely for 2 reasons. First he’s facing potential hard time while the Gurley law violations are misdemeanors punishable by 12 months in prison. Normally, that would be an inefficient use of resources. Also, it is unclear that he violated the law in the first place. Georgia cannot criminalize behavior outside of its borders. If Ron provided benefits in Arizona he cannot be charged under Georgia law. Now, if any of the benefits were provided while our athletes were physically located in Georgia, that would be different.

If Ga. Tech really wants to push the issue to make an example out of Ron, and he did provide benefits that were illegal under the Gurley law, they could definitely get the Fulton County Solicitor’s office to charge him. I’m sure that the Institute would be heartily supported by UGA and others. They are all collectively dying to make an example out of somebody and Ron – being the loathsome individual that he is – would make the perfect person.

So, let’s see how his extradition hearing in Arizona goes tomorrow. Hopefully, he’ll be headed back to Georgia real soon.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, our pal Ron has a big day ahead of him tomorrow. His extradition hearing was continued until Tuesday. So, what happens next? Here are a few educated guesses.

Will he fight extradition? He could, but why? Given that Georgia has a probation revocation warrant for armed robbery, he’s going to get extradited sooner or later. He’s pretty much at the mercy of Cobb County and should be looking to appear as cooperative as possible.

What awaits him in Cobb County? The records are pretty garbled online (no surprise since they’re from 17 years ago) so we’ll have to see. Best guess is he pleaded guilty to armed robbery under the GA First Offender Act either in September of 2000 or February of 2001. His probation looks to have been revoked on 09-11-2001 (yikes).

If he did plead guilty under the First Offender Act, he can be resentenced to up to life imprisonment (though that’s highly unlikely). His fate will be decided by the Cobb Probation Office, the Cobb DA’s office and ultimately Judge Childs (who inherited his case from Judge Grubbs, who retired in 2016).

If Ron goes back to prison, will this derail the civil case? No. I’ve taken depositions out at County Farm Road (although they’ve been for domestic cases) and in some pretty nasty prisons. The civil case will continue regardless of where Ron ends up.

Will Ron be charged under the Gurley law? That’s unlikely for 2 reasons. First he’s facing potential hard time while the Gurley law violations are misdemeanors punishable by 12 months in prison. Normally, that would be an inefficient use of resources. Also, it is unclear that he violated the law in the first place. Georgia cannot criminalize behavior outside of its borders. If Ron provided benefits in Arizona he cannot be charged under Georgia law. Now, if any of the benefits were provided while our athletes were physically located in Georgia, that would be different.

If Ga. Tech really wants to push the issue to make an example out of Ron, and he did provide benefits that were illegal under the Gurley law, they could definitely get the Fulton County Solicitor’s office to charge him. I’m sure that the Institute would be heartily supported by UGA and others. They are all collectively dying to make an example out of somebody and Ron – being the loathsome individual that he is – would make the perfect person.

So, let’s see how his extradition hearing in Arizona goes tomorrow. Hopefully, he’ll be headed back to Georgia real soon.

Great overview and summary. Looking forward to hearing from you again after the hearing tomorrow...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

You're the lawyer, I'm not, so your point about the benefits being out of state make a lot of sense, but I thought the law criminalized benefits that resulted in ineligibility. Wouldn't the fact that Josh O & Tadric were ineligible as a function of his benefits, regardless of location, be the crime? Otherwise, state lines render the law toothless.

Also, he provided round trip plane tickets, which would have originated in Atlanta. Wouldn't that constitute a benefit provided in Georgia?

I'm not hung up on what puts Ron away, just kind of curious on mechanics.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
States have argued that internet transactions take place in the state where the purchaser is entering the order. Their argument is that sales taxes are due on any transaction that originates in their state. NC made a big deal about this and has a line on the income tax form for its taxpayers to enter the $ amount of internet purchases they made from their NC residence, or their mobile device while in NC, for which sales taxes were not collected and paid to the State of NC. I bet Georgia has that same law.

If that is the case, and Ron bought the airline tickets and shoes via internet transactions, Tech may not have a Gurley case against Ron.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
You're the lawyer, I'm not, so your point about the benefits being out of state make a lot of sense, but I thought the law criminalized benefits that resulted in ineligibility. Wouldn't the fact that Josh O & Tadric were ineligible as a function of his benefits, regardless of location, be the crime? Otherwise, state lines render the law toothless.

Also, he provided round trip plane tickets, which would have originated in Atlanta. Wouldn't that constitute a benefit provided in Georgia?

I'm not hung up on what puts Ron away, just kind of curious on mechanics.

Georgia only has criminal jurisdiction over conduct that occurs within its borders. It is what it is. It will take federal legislation to add more teeth to the law. Now, if Ron bought them plane tickets and they flew from Georgia, that would almost certainly constitute a Gurley law violation. It will be interesting to see if GT wants to push the issue once Ron gets back. They couldn't extradite him for a misdemeanor from Arizona, but if he's back in the great state of Georgia they can definitely go after him.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
States have argued that internet transactions take place in the state where the purchaser is entering the order. Their argument is that sales taxes are due on any transaction that originates in their state. NC made a big deal about this and has a line on the income tax form for its taxpayers to enter the $ amount of internet purchases they made from their NC residence, or their mobile device while in NC, for which sales taxes were not collected and paid to the State of NC. I bet Georgia has that same law.

If that is the case, and Ron bought the airline tickets and shoes via internet transactions, Tech may not have a Gurley case against Ron.

I have not researched this recently, but generally under criminal law (as opposed to the civil law which you are referencing) if any of the crime occurs within our borders, Georgia has jurisdiction. There's a lot of case law about this under our conspiracy statutes. If Ron bought the ticket in Arizona but any of the benefit of the ticket was derived here - which it clearly was - Georgia can assert jurisdiction.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have not researched this recently, but generally under criminal law (as opposed to the civil law which you are referencing) if any of the crime occurs within our borders, Georgia has jurisdiction. There's a lot of case law about this under our conspiracy statutes. If Ron bought the ticket in Arizona but any of the benefit of the ticket was derived here - which it clearly was - Georgia can assert jurisdiction.
I see your point. If I am in Georgia and call Thugs Are Us in Tucson to get someone go to Ron's house and punch him in the nose, I have committed a crime in Arizona.

CharlotteJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I enjoy your insight on this. Keep it coming

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know how people without jobs deal with this type of thing, but being held in jail for weeks would have devastated my employment. Maybe Ron has independent means of support, but this has got to be a killer to his bank account It's not just the attorney fees, but the loss of income for 3-4 months? Wow. It could not have happened to a better person.

How's it going @MiracleWhips?

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't it be cool if we met the paddy wagon with a huge group of GT supporters in the same way we get a crowd to meet the team bus at the Edge Athletic center after a huge road victory?
Tell me what time and place and I'll be there