Ireland

I won't allow you to bait me too much, but in this, you're absolutely wrong. As for condescention...coming from you, that's pretty damn funny.

Ireland = Republic of Ireland
Northern Ireland = Northern Ireland = The North

If you say differently...then you're just plain wrong.

To any others, really, don't talk about "the Troubles" in a pub. It's not well received.
Aren't they united now? I was there maybe 10 years ago, and my tour traveled extensively through each part of the island and had no problems of any sort at all.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not to sound condescending...but, no. Northern Ireland is part of the UK. The Republic of Ireland is the rest of the island. The borders between Northern Ireland and Ireland have relaxed greatly, but you're still moving from one country to another. The last referendum I can think of for reunification was in 1973. With Brexit, there was a push to open the borders more and a thought that reunification might be feasible, but apparently there's still much resistance in the North, at least based on recent polls.

Not to sound condescending...but, no. Northern Ireland is part of the UK. The Republic of Ireland is the rest of the island. The borders between Northern Ireland and Ireland have relaxed greatly, but you're still moving from one country to another. The last referendum I can think of for reunification was in 1973. With Brexit, there was a push to open the borders more and a thought that reunification might be feasible, but apparently there's still much resistance in the North, at least based on recent polls.
They offer day tours out of Dublin that go to the north. That doesn't sound like there's much of a border between the two anymore. And, as I said earlier, 10 years ago, I took a tour that took me all over the island, and we had no problems at all.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
They offer day tours out of Dublin that go to the north. That doesn't sound like there's much of a border between the two anymore. And, as I said earlier, 10 years ago, I took a tour that took me all over the island, and we had no problems at all.
The hassle-free travel between the two countries is due to the fact that the UK and Ireland are both members of the European Union (EU). Any citizen of an EU member nation can travel freely to other EU nations without a passport. As for non-citizens, it used to be you only presented your passport once when you first entered an EU nation. From there you could travel to other EU nations without showing your passport. I don't know if this is still the case or not.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Men, I'm off to Ireland, I hope to see many of you there :)

upload_2016-8-25_5-54-2.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........ My only word of advice (as @potatohead pointed out) is to stay away from conversations about Northern Ireland and the Republic, and conflicts with the British government in the North. .........

+1. Thanks for clarifying. I saw your post last night and it bothered me a lot. Regardless of the country, it is important to realize that who one person calls a "terrorist" another calls a "freedom fighter". While I have read several books on Irish history, it doesn't give me the perspective that people have whose family members or ancestors were tortured, killed or disappeared. On both sides. Definitely something that is not good to talk about with alcohol involved.

When I go to Ireland in October, one of the least of my concerns will be for violence against myself of wife. The "Troubles" have calmed down a lot and I think Ireland overall is safer than where I live. I'm more interested in finding out whether Northern Ireland and the Republic could reunite as a result of the United Kingdom voting to leave the EU. Northern Ireland was heavily in favor of staying in the EU. Who would have thought that reunification could be possible 20 years ago?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The Official Pub of Georgia Tech Fans, Café En Seine is one of Dublin's most popular drinks and nightlife venues and is the perfect place for GT fans to celebrate an amazing game week. Visit Café En Seine for a delicious Parisien inspired lunch, dinner or snack. For more info -http://cafeenseine.ie/
View attachment 1734

That just doesn't look like what I'd picture an Irish pub looking like. Anyone that's been recommend a good place for a pint?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm most interested in finding out of the Guinness really does taste better...
Yes, it does, it's fresher. All Guinness is brewed in Dublin. It's very likely if you're drinking a Guinness in Dublin, it was brewed/kegged that week. Also, if you're a Guinness novice, don't be alarmed if it takes "forever" to get your beer. A perfect Guinness is pulled twice. The first is pulled to about 2/3 full in the pint glass and then left to settle. This allows the nitrogren to come to the surface and produce the perfect creamy head. The second pull tops off the glass. The head is so thick, you can poke it with your fingers and it will leave tiny points in the head.

A girl I used to date had a habit of making a spikey "hairdo" out of her freshly poured pint of Guinness. Something about chicks that dig Guinnesss.... ah... I digress....

A skilled barkeep can even "draw" in the head with the final pull.

DCS tip of the day: Irish for cheers is Slainte. It is pronounce "Sloncha".

shamrock.jpg

Slainte!

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That just doesn't look like what I'd picture an Irish pub looking like. Anyone that's been recommend a good place for a pint?
Grogans is my favorite pub in Dublin. Kehoe's, brazen head (supposed to be oldest pub in Dublin), Nearys, The Long hall, O'neils, Swan Bar. Gogarty's in the temple bar area is fun and has live music upstairs. Can't go wrong with any of those and the Guiness definitely does taste better in Dublin. A little hard to find but if your into cider try Stonewell. Very good Irish cider.

irishbearsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
As a young Irish person, I didn't live through the Troubles but I wouldn't bring them up. My parents' generation lived through them (thankfully it didn't directly affect them) and I'd be wary of talking about it matter of factly. To be fair

If any of you go to Belfast though, I absolutely recommend a 'black cab tour'. It's a taxi tour around the nationalist/unionist areas that is fascinating. Belfast is a lovely city, the Titanic is a big part of its history. Regards safety there, the dodgy areas pretty much keep to themselves so the city centre etc. is perfectly safe.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As a young Irish person, I didn't live through the Troubles but I wouldn't bring them up. My parents' generation lived through them (thankfully it didn't directly affect them) and I'd be wary of talking about it matter of factly. To be fair

If any of you go to Belfast though, I absolutely recommend a 'black cab tour'. It's a taxi tour around the nationalist/unionist areas that is fascinating. Belfast is a lovely city, the Titanic is a big part of its history. Regards safety there, the dodgy areas pretty much keep to themselves so the city centre etc. is perfectly safe.

Thanks for your contribution. In order to prepare your mates on your side of the pond, here are two of our songs, band only as heard in stands and as sung by our glee club.

irishbearsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
With Brexit, there was a push to open the borders more and a thought that reunification might be feasible, but apparently there's still much resistance in the North, at least based on recent polls.

The financial reality is that Northern Ireland is a cost to the UK, so if unification did take place it would be at a cost to the Republic of Ireland. Taxes here are high so I think unification would be a hard sell....IMO most Irish people would like to see it but not all of them would be happy to pay for it. So right now Northern Ireland needs to be remain in the UK.

Currently there is no 'border' between ROI and NI. There are no checkpoints etc. Brexit is being kicked down the road by UK politicians so I don't think anything will change for a few years...and what that change will be is unclear.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 1732 Just FYI for those who haven't gotten their tickets

Finally got that email yesterday. I guess they knew they had problems. After exchanging multiple emails and phone calls with both Ticketmaster US and Ticketmaster Ireland (and being told repeatedly that my tickets would either be sent soon or there was nothing they could do), I finally emailed the ticketmaster.ie address in the email from yesterday and they emailed me my print at home tickets in less than 24 hours. Ticketmaster is the worst.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
The Official Pub of Georgia Tech Fans, Café En Seine is one of Dublin's most popular drinks and nightlife venues and is the perfect place for GT fans to celebrate an amazing game week. Visit Café En Seine for a delicious Parisien inspired lunch, dinner or snack. For more info -http://cafeenseine.ie/
View attachment 1734
GT goes to Ireland and the "official pub" has a French motif - give me a break.

If GT ever gets a game in Paris, will they pick an Irish pump then?