Ireland

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm still wanting to take my Mother but I have to make sure logistics (work, money, etc) works out. If we do get to go I'm planning on going thru GT website. I know it is more expensive than planning myself but I'm willing to pay extra for the convenience.

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The Guinness tourist trap is pretty lame. If you like bars (pubs) you will like Dublin. Plenty of good food. I recommend visiting the cliffs of Howth, which is just north of Dublin. Most of the cool things in Ireland (Cliffs of Moher, Giant's Causeway) are far from Dublin, but if you want to make a vacation out of it Ireland's natural beauty is incredible.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I have been bouncing around the idea. How often can you travel overseas to see your favorite sports team in action? But it is a financial hit I don't know if I can justify right now.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I'll be there with my wife (she goes to to Ireland about every 8 weeks to check on her European office and is scheduling her trip to coincide with the game).

If you've never been to Ireland, I highly recommend it, and if you can extend the trip, go to Scotland, too. One sidenote - coming back from Dublin, you go through US Passport Control in the Dublin Airport so you won't have to fight it at Kennedy or Hartsfield...Really nice.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
My trip has been booked for a couple of months now! I hate not being able to watch the Jackets in a bowl game this year but am very excited to get to watch them next across the pond. We booked through GT but are booking golf, etc separately. I hope to get to meet some of you over there!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The Guinness tourist trap is pretty lame. If you like bars (pubs) you will like Dublin. Plenty of good food. I recommend visiting the cliffs of Howth, which is just north of Dublin. Most of the cool things in Ireland (Cliffs of Moher, Giant's Causeway) are far from Dublin, but if you want to make a vacation out of it Ireland's natural beauty is incredible.

My wife is from Ireland, and we go back regularly. Her family is on the west coast, mostly Galway, Mayo, Limrick and Sligo. There's nothing far away in Ireland. From Dublin, you can get pretty much anywhere on the island in less than 4 hours. The Ring of Kerry (in Killarney) is about as far as you'd probably drive, and that's just under a 4 hour drive. Even the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland (you have to go through Customs to get into the UK), it's just over 3 hrs from Dublin. The Cliffs of Moher are 3 1/2 hr. drive.

Ireland is pretty far North, so it stays light much later than we're used to. If you have the stamina for long trips, you can see a great deal in a short period of time. All this being said, there's too much to see in Ireland for a short trip. I'd focus around Dublin if you're only there for a couple of days.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Planning on going with a group of friends. Getting there a week early to travel around Ireland and do some hiking/sight seeing in countryside/cliffs/castles. Then a night or two of dining and boozing in Dublin.

We haven't zero'ed in on which sites to explore yet, but that's the general outline of what we want to do. Anyone who has experienced the outdoor adventurings of Ireland, please let us explorers know what's can't miss, and what's overrated.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
I've booked whole family (5 of us) through the travel agent who setup on tech wood this year during football games. She had a 10 day package that worked better with my schedule and priced better than Anthony travel. Starts Wednesday before game with 4 days in Dublin then travel across southern/western Ireland and flyout of Shannon.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Was planning on going, until we just found out my wife is expecting #2 in late summer. I don't think there's any way I'd be able to drag her with a 2 month old and a 2 year old for that flight, and she damn sure wouldn't let me leave them behind! Sad as it is I may have to watch this one from home.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I really liked Ireland. Brought my favorite hat (after my Tech one, of course) there. Dublin is a great place to visit as well. I'd make a trip to Trinity College and see the Book of Kells and the grounds. Very nice.

But I won't be going. Too expensive and I've been.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Just had twin girls so I won't be there. But I have a friend who owns an Irish pub and he told me I can start drinking at 7am at his place before they open. So it's almost the same thing...

Milwaukee

Banned
I will be making the trip. I'm not big on sight seeing and exploring so I'll most likely be staying at an Americanized hotel and eat at Americanized restaurants with *cough* cold beer. Is Americanized even a word?

I plan on booking in March or maybe in a few weeks with my Xmas bonus. I only have a desire to stay 2 days before the game and fly out the following.

Any ideas? I'd like to stay very close to the stadium and only venture out once to play a round of 18.

Looking forward to seeing any of you gents there. I believe the only Swarmers I've met are WhiskeyClear and Animal, both in South Bend. Whiskey was kind enough to give me a beer and Animal was kind enough to hook me up with a ticket.

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have been to Ireland 3 times, but it has been a while. If you are making more of the trip and, perhaps, plan to golf, well, there are a lot of tremendous options. If you have a couple extra days I would suggest a drive to the west side of the island and golf the following venues: Ballybunion(both courses an absolute must), Killarney, Lahinch, and Waterville. The cliffs of Moher (by Lahinch) are pretty spectacular. The ring of Kerry (by Waterville and Killarney) is quite a picturesque jaunt. Any B&B will provide you with a great stay and there are pubs in every town, so you can't miss.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
We want to go so badly. This is our 25th anniversary year, so that would be a memorable way to celebrate. But with the other obligations we have already made for 2016, we are doubtful we can pull it off. It would be incredible, though. What an opportunity.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Cliffs of Moher....
sdp10_cliffs-of-moher_main.jpg

Queen of Tarts in Dublin.......

upload_2015-12-14_21-43-7.png
upload_2015-12-14_21-44-13.png
super-colazione.jpg

BBurdocks Fish and Chips - Dublin....
upload_2015-12-14_21-48-3.png
leo-burdock-s.jpg

Galway.....
upload_2015-12-14_21-50-51.png
upload_2015-12-14_21-52-47.png
Kinvara-County-Galway-Ireland-1024x768.jpg

Grafton Street - Dublin,,,,
dublin-grafton-street.jpg

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been bouncing around the idea. How often can you travel overseas to see your favorite sports team in action? But it is a financial hit I don't know if I can justify right now.

Ireland is the cheapest country in Europe to visit, the dollar and Euro are almost equal.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Where ever you stay, be sure to order an "Irish breakfast" and be sure to get both black and white pudding. If you've never had Irish breakfast pudding, well it's not the stuff Bill Cosby eats. ;)