Ireland

UK Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
You shouldn't need umbrella's, unlike US stadiums, due to our weather, the Aviva is enclosed by a roof, all around.
It's getting to the stadium where an umbrella might come in handy. The question is whether they will allow you to take them in. I have a collapsible one I can hide in my pants pocket if necessary.....as long as they don't do a search.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
With Ireland's history of terrorism, and the current ISIS concern, I can't imagine bag searches / metal detectors won't be used. Chances of umbrellas getting in gotta be near zero.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
You shouldn't need umbrella's, unlike US stadiums, due to our weather, the Aviva is enclosed by a roof, all around.

Do you know of any pubs in Dublin that will or would show college football? It is, after all, our opening weekend and there are lots of good games on.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure what you mean by LOL. The game is in Dublin which is in the Republic of Ireland. You may be thinking of terrorism in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK. Terrorism is rare in the Republic.

Good point, further, for everyone else. The troubles, terrorism, Ira, and especially ordering "Irish car bombs" is not funny and probably something steer clear of in casual conversation.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Good point, further, for everyone else. The troubles, terrorism, Ira, and especially ordering "Irish car bombs" is not funny and probably something steer clear of in casual conversation.

Exactly. This is the reason I responded LOL not to these troubles but to the suggestion that they haven't existed in Ireland, not distinguishing between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. Of course, the activity was not exclusive to either.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
And don't order a black and tan. Back when Ireland was fighting for its independence from the British occupiers in the early 20th century, the British military were referred to as "black and tans" due to their uniforms and they were pretty brutal.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. This is the reason I responded LOL not to these troubles but to the suggestion that they haven't existed in Ireland, not distinguishing between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. Of course, the activity was not exclusive to either.
You have to distinguish between Northern Ireland and the Republic. They're two different countries: one has had a history of violence and the other hasn't since the 1920's. To say that there is an elevated threat of terrorism in the Republic is not only ignorant but would not be received well over there (not disparaging the original font I responded to).

My wife is from Ireland. She has six uncles and aunts, with 26 1st cousins living throughout the Republic. I've been there many times. My only word of advice (as @potatohead pointed out) is to stay away from conversations about Northern Ireland and the Republic, and conflicts with the British government in the North. Most do not respond well to Yanks talking about what has gone on over there. You'll be safer with younger people, but the older ones won't respond well. You might just be asked to leave the pub, in a not-so-nice way.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you know of any pubs in Dublin that will or would show college football? It is, after all, our opening weekend and there are lots of good games on.

I have been wondering the same thing. A quick search took me to this site, and it has me a little nervous. Hopefully it has changed in the last two years and they are showing more American football, especially with so many Americans in the city that weekend.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You have to distinguish between Northern Ireland and the Republic. They're two different countries: one has had a history of violence and the other hasn't since the 1920's. To say that there is an elevated threat of terrorism in the Republic is not only ignorant but would not be received well over there (not disparaging the original font I responded to).

My wife is from Ireland. She has six uncles and aunts, with 26 1st cousins living throughout the Republic. I've been there many times. My only word of advice (as @potatohead pointed out) is to stay away from conversations about Northern Ireland and the Republic, and conflicts with the British government in the North. Most do not respond well to Yanks talking about what has gone on over there. You'll be safer with younger people, but the older ones won't respond well. You might just be asked to leave the pub, in a not-so-nice way.

I appreciate that you do not intend to come off as condescending and preachy as this post sounds to me.

1) Your post to which I responded just said Ireland which refers to the island which is home to both countries. So, I responded to a post that did not make the distinction. That's all I was saying, a statement of fact.

2) Yes, the tensions leading to the terrorism on that island have their roots and most attacks in Northern Ireland; however, it is simply false that such activity was restricted there.

So, I agree that there should not be heightened fears at this time, but disagree with your post to which I initially responded. I respect your bias based on marriage, but it doesn't change the fact that Ireland, the name of the island, has had more than "little or no terrorism."

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I appreciate that you do not intend to come off as condescending and preachy as this post sounds to me.

1) Your post to which I responded just said Ireland which refers to the island which is home to both countries. So, I responded to a post that did not make the distinction. That's all I was saying, a statement of fact.

2) Yes, the tensions leading to the terrorism on that island have their roots and most attacks in Northern Ireland; however, it is simply false that such activity was restricted there.

So, I agree that there should not be heightened fears at this time, but disagree with your post to which I initially responded. I respect your bias based on marriage, but it doesn't change the fact that Ireland, the name of the island, has had more than "little or no terrorism."
No one calls the island Ireland. That's like saying the island of Australia.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I won't allow you to bait me too much, but in this, you're absolutely wrong. As for condescention...coming from you, that's pretty damn funny.

Ireland = Republic of Ireland
Northern Ireland = Northern Ireland = The North

If you say differently...then you're just plain wrong.

To any others, really, don't talk about "the Troubles" in a pub. It's not well received.