Ireland

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One book every tourist should read before going to Ireland is the Princes of Ireland. Then the Rebels of Ireland. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9l979jje92_b

My wife and I are watching a 5 part series on Amazon about the history of Ireland. We've been 3 times and will go back. But understanding the history (England and religion and politics) make everything make more sense. There are very good reasons for the animosities which exist.

We were thinking of going but won't for the game. Instead we are now looking at an October visit and return on a trans Atlantic re-positioning cruise. Having a football game as the centerpiece of a travel vacation is risky if you are emotionally invested in the game.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
since i am a fan of ufc's conor mcgregor i went to his fb page and mentioned him being on our sidelines during the game. why not? uga seems to have folks like herschel. we could make conor an honorary jacket? certainly couldnt hurt to have a ton of irish folks on our side as s/w fans.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kinsale was my favorite town in Ireland. Favorite place was http://www.thespaniard.ie/

Waterford was one of our favorite places. Of course it was early 80's and we flew space available to England and took buses, ferries and hitch hiked to get there and back. Stayed in places which didn't even have hot water. Damn that was fun. Got a lot of crystal mailed back .......

Animal02

Banned
Waterford was one of our favorite places. Of course it was early 80's and we flew space available to England and took buses, ferries and hitch hiked to get there and back. Stayed in places which didn't even have hot water. Damn that was fun. Got a lot of crystal mailed back .......
Went through Waterford as well, bought a vase for about $70 .....saw the same in a store here for over 300. Incredibly tourist friendly country..... But sometimes hard to understand considering the speak English.

Buzz4President

Georgia Tech Fan
Be sure to use GPS when driving around Ireland. You really, really, really need it. Make sure your phone GPS has Irish map capability. Also keep in mind you'll be driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and on very narrow streets. Many a rental car is returned missing sideview mirrors or scratches/dents on the doors. Make sure you have insurance.

I agree with all of this! Ten years ago our family rented a car in Paris and then drove through Germany, Austria and Italy. This was before GPS was widely available, so we were relying on printed out Michelin maps (like mapquest directions) to get around. I cannot begin to tell you how lost we got at times! In fact, we blame the lack of GPS on our accident in Milan. Literally, 10 hours before we were due to turn the car in and fly home, we had a fender bender because we were frustrated, driving in circles trying to find our hotel.

And this brings me to the insurance angle. Before our trip I called our insurance company to see if we were covered in Europe. The agent actually suggested calling our credit card issuer to see if they had coverage, since we had used that card to rent the car. It turns out we were covered at no extra charge. After the accident, which was our fault, they took care of everything. It could not have been easier and I guess our regular insurance company was none the wiser.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all of this! Ten years ago our family rented a car in Paris and then drove through Germany, Austria and Italy. This was before GPS was widely available, so we were relying on printed out Michelin maps (like mapquest directions) to get around. I cannot begin to tell you how lost we got at times! In fact, we blame the lack of GPS on our accident in Milan. Literally, 10 hours before we were due to turn the car in and fly home, we had a fender bender because we were frustrated, driving in circles trying to find our hotel.

And this brings me to the insurance angle. Before our trip I called our insurance company to see if we were covered in Europe. The agent actually suggested calling our credit card issuer to see if they had coverage, since we had used that card to rent the car. It turns out we were covered at no extra charge. After the accident, which was our fault, they took care of everything. It could not have been easier and I guess our regular insurance company was none the wiser.

I'm glad somebody mentioned this, your personal auto policy only covers you ONLY in the US and Canada. If you rent while overseas it is a very good idea to add the coverage offered by the rental company

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
Got an email a few weeks back about a pre sale for this game which starts tomorrow for season ticket holders... Has anyone seen any more information regarding the presale? I would love to get in on this and should be eligible as I have held season tickets for a number of years now. i would hate to miss it because I didn't get sent the needed access code.

Wish I was going, but I've been twice and there's more of the world I wanna see before going back. I never made it to the north so I'll be back some day.
That's pretty much the way I am feeling. I've already been on a nice tour of Ireland and I hate to go just for a football game, even if it IS a Tech game. I am, however, toying with the idea of going ahead and getting one ticket and deciding later if I have enough Delta FF points to fly for free. Of course, there's still the problem of lodging. What to do, what to do? LOL

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
FYI if you have a relatively large group going to the game in Ireland (I know friends are a strange concept for some posters here), the maximum block size is 16 tickets.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
I just picked up round trip tix on delta for $1022. They've been hovering around $1500-1600 for months. They just bumped up to $1300 but that's still a good value compared to trends

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Just make sure the game is the last thing you do and you are fine.
Or that's a good way to overshadow any good memories from your trip if we end up losing. If you watch a loss early in your trip you can spend the rest of the time making good memories and trying to forget about the result. Basically it would suck to lose whether it's early or late in your trip, so let's just win it then!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Or that's a good way to overshadow any good memories from your trip if we end up losing. If you watch a loss early in your trip you can spend the rest of the time making good memories and trying to forget about the result. Basically it would suck to lose whether it's early or late in your trip, so let's just win it then!
I've chilled out considerably as the years go by. I used to brood terribly after losses. So much so, my wife couldn't stand to be around me. I still hate to lose, but can enjoy the pageantry of college football gameday, regardless of outcome, though winning makes it more special. I had a damn good time up in South Bend last year even with the loss. Had a mini family reunion with my brothers and their families and loved the campus. That would have been hard to do about 10/15 yrs ago.