Ireland

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe we can do some 'cruitin' while in the Emerald Isle. Those Irish lads are a tough bunch. (GAA = Gaelic Athletic Association)

Go check out some hurling matches if anyone has a chance (guys with wooden sticks or hurleys in DCS's video). The GAA all Ireland hurling championships are in full swing late August and early September. You will not regret it.

Buzz4President

Georgia Tech Fan
We are making the trip with our oldest daughter and son-in-law and his parents. We have roundtrip flights to Dublin and we are also flying to Edinburgh, Scotland for a couple of days. We plan to rent a car in Ireland and do the Ring of Kerry and the cliffs of Moher. It should be a very memorable trip!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is setting up as a huge disaster. Coming off a lackluter year playing an opponent that has no offense but enough defense to shut us out with no problem. I wish we could postpone this deal. Sets up as as a bad start for our program that needs anything but a bad start. Might spiral us down another long losing streak. I hope not, but it feels like that right now.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We are making the trip with our oldest daughter and son-in-law and his parents. We have roundtrip flights to Dublin and we are also flying to Edinburgh, Scotland for a couple of days. We plan to rent a car in Ireland and do the Ring of Kerry and the cliffs of Moher. It should be a very memorable trip!
The Dingle Peninsula is along the southwest coast between the Ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Moher. They still speak Gaelic out there and all the road signs are in both Irish and English. My wife and I stayed at a B&B and rode draught horses through the fields and country lanes. That has to be the most memorable travel experience of my life!

Here's a link for the Dingle Stables:

http://www.dinglehorseriding.com/stables/

image19.jpg

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
The wife and I are going. Will make a week of it. Never been to Ireland, and we love to hike. Probably book on our own, since we're not big into arranged tours. I expect we'll go the week before the game, and plan to be back in Dublin that Friday. Definitely need to plan a Swarm meet up in Dublin!

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The wife and I are going. Will make a week of it. Never been to Ireland, and we love to hike. Probably book on our own, since we're not big into arranged tours. I expect we'll go the week before the game, and plan to be back in Dublin that Friday. Definitely need to plan a Swarm meet up in Dublin!

For hiking make sure you visit county kerry. There are really good mountains for hiking out there.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
My gf and I are going to the Dublin game with a group of friends. We haven't solidified any plans yet but we definitely want to do a sightseeing/hiking tour through Ireland and hopefully jump to another country in EUR. I've always wanted to visit Ireland but would never plan a trip just to go there so glad GT is giving me an excuse to make travel plans to Ireland lol.

Any hiking suggestions are welcome.

Buzz4President

Georgia Tech Fan
The Dingle Peninsula is along the southwest coast between the Ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Moher. They still speak Gaelic out there and all the road signs are in both Irish and English. My wife and I stayed at a B&B and rode draught horses through the fields and country lanes. That has to be the most memorable travel experience of my life!

image19.jpg

Oh my goodness! That looks fantastic! Thank you for suggesting this. I will definitely look into it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Oh my goodness! That looks fantastic! Thank you for suggesting this. I will definitely look into it.
Be sure to use GPS when driving around Ireland. You really, really, really need it. Make sure your phone GPS has Irish map capability. Also keep in mind you'll be driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and on very narrow streets. Many a rental car is returned missing sideview mirrors or scratches/dents on the doors. Make sure you have insurance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Killarney is a must as well and it's all in the same region as the Ring of Kerry. For the real Irish experience, take a jaunting cart ride on the grounds of Muckross House. You'll not regret it!

JauntingCart.jpg

GlennW

Helluva Engineer

Great trip; my wife and I did the Ireland/Scotland trip with my In-Laws and that has to be one of my favorite trips abroad, in particular our time in Scotland. Be sure to take some day trips and see Loch Ness and the Highlands...

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow

I highly recommend driving R559 through Connor Pass when leaving/arriving to Dingle. Some of the best views you will ever see. Plus there is an awesome waterfall when it rains (hike up above it to see a cool mountain pond that feeds it).
Google View of one spot along the drive

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Be sure to use GPS when driving around Ireland. You really, really, really need it. Make sure your phone GPS has Irish map capability. Also keep in mind you'll be driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and on very narrow streets. Many a rental car is returned missing sideview mirrors or scratches/dents on the doors. Make sure you have insurance.

GPS isn't necessary if you have a navigator with a map. I found that the roads in Ireland were really well labeled and it was pretty easy to find everything. I HIGHLY agree with the insurance recommendation. Narrow Streets is an understatement and you find yourself driving in the brush sometimes to pass people.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

How have I not heard of this place!!!!???? That was my Fraternity nickname, I must go there!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I highly recommend driving R559 through Connor Pass when leaving/arriving to Dingle. Some of the best views you will ever see. Plus there is an awesome waterfall when it rains (hike up above it to see a cool mountain pond that feeds it).
Google View of one spot along the drive
I agree, Connor Pass is quite stunning. There's place along the side of the road on the western tip of the dingle penninsula where they filmed "Far and Away." That part of Ireland hasn't changed much at all since the 1850's.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Other suggestions:
Kilkenny is a city that a lot of people miss, but it's one of my favorites. The layout of the streets and buildings based from medieval times is really cool. Stay at Kilford Arms

Skip Cork and drive further south to Cobh (pronounced cove) or Kinsale (pricier) for a way better experience. Awesome sea views from the Commodore Hotel in Cobh where we stayed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Other suggestions:
Kilkenny is a city that a lot of people miss, but it's one of my favorites. The layout of the streets and buildings based from medieval times is really cool. Stay at Kilford Arms

Skip Cork and drive further south to Cobh (pronounced cove) or Kinsale (pricier) for a way better experience. Awesome sea views from the Commodore Hotel in Cobh where we stayed.
Kinsale is a quaint fishing village and a must see if in the south. Renowned restaurants.

I believe Cobh was the last port of call for the ill fated Titanic.