Ireland

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anyone still looking to go should try skyscanner.com. You can plug in a destination and days, and set the origin to US.....and it will tell you the cheapest fairs across the country. It was how I found $800 round trip to Istanbul from Chicago last year.

I do Kayak.com. But the trick I have learned is check to booking individual legs separately. Some airline groups don't seem to play well with others. Especially to South America with Copa Airlines, I booked separate legs and saved $2K over search engines that don't seem fully integrated.

I just checked for a flight I need to get back from Ireland and Kayak was better by far with the exception of one flight on skyscanner which had 3 stops. Would save $200 pp but add two stops and 8 hours to the day. (Dublin to Toronto to NY to Norfolk) My wife would probably kill me by NY:rolleyes: (and at that point I probably wouldn't care.)

But I bookmarked skyscanner and will check it again ...... never can tell.

Last edited:

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Aer Lingus College Football Classic
10 mins ·
For all those asking, the American Showcase Highschool Games will be taking place in Donnybrook stadium on Friday 2nd September.

Games and timings:
✔️ 11AM: Westminster School, Atlanta, Georgia Vs Community School Naples, Naples Florida
✔️2PM: Blessed Trinity High School, Atlanta Georgia Vs St. Peter’s Prep School, Jersey City, New Jersey
✔️5PM: Marist High School, Atlanta, Georgia Vs Belen Jesuit High School, Miami, Florida

Admission for children is free and adults are encouraged to donate a voluntary contribution of €10 which will be donated to our amazing charity partners, Special Olympics Ireland.

Animal02

Banned
I do Kayak.com. But the trick I have learned is check to booking individual legs separately. Some airline groups don't seem to play well with others. Especially to South America with Copa Airlines, I booked separate legs and saved $2K over search engines that don't seem fully integrated.

I just checked for a flight I need to get back from Ireland and Kayak was better by far with the exception of one flight on skyscanner which had 3 stops. Would save $200 pp but add two stops and 8 hours to the day. (Dublin to Toronto to NY to Norfolk) My wife would probably kill me by NY:rolleyes: (and at that point I probably wouldn't care.)

But I bookmarked skyscanner and will check it again ...... never can tell.
Sky scanner is good for finding the cheap fares from the major airports. We ended up last year driving to Chicago, the fare from Detroit was almost double.....x4 and the drive saved me over 3K. This years trip to East Africa, I found the cheapest flight was out of Dulles by quite a lot..I still checked several other sites for comparison....I ended up using vouchers and miles to get Dulles. It will let you track prices as well which is a nice feature. Also ended up using a regional discount airlines for a couple of flights as well once we were over there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

***BIG NEWS*** The official pubs are as follows: The Mercantile - Boston College Offiical Pub, Cafe en Seine - Georgia Tech Official Pub and The Bridge will act as The Aer Lingus College Football Game Pub for both teams! We can't wait to celebrate with you all
With a 7:30 am ET kickoff, looks like Irish coffee for me. Make sure you guys eat at least one Irish breakfast while you're over there. They don't play when it comes to breakfast!

SouthernJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

***BIG NEWS*** The official pubs are as follows: The Mercantile - Boston College Offiical Pub, Cafe en Seine - Georgia Tech Official Pub and The Bridge will act as The Aer Lingus College Football Game Pub for both teams! We can't wait to celebrate with you all

Thanks, been waiting on them to announce these. I'm glad Cafe en Seine is close to Kehoe's!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://hub.collegefootballireland.com/

The official game week schedule is now available and jam packed with exciting events starting on Thursday 1st September leading up to the game and finishing with post-game celebrations! The Welcome Village at Trinity College Dublin will be the game headquarters throughout the game weekend with pep rallies, pre-game tailgate and much more being held right in Dublin City Center.

THURSDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER
  • Joint Faculty Symposium - 9 a.m. to Noon at Trinity College Dublin | Register Online
  • Welcome Parade - 4:30 to 5 p.m. at Merrion Square
  • Marching Band Classic - 6 to 10 p.m. at Malahide Castle
FRIDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER
  • IDA Ireland Business Breakfast - 8 to 10 a.m. at Royal College of Physicians of Ireland | Register Online
  • American Football Showcase (High School Games) at Donnybrook Stadium;Details below
  • Pep Rallies - Trinity College Dublin
    • 3 p.m. - Boston College
    • 4:30 p.m. - Georgia Tech
  • Leinster Rugby, Pro12 League Game - 7:30 p.m. at Donnybrook Stadium;discounted ticket information below
SATURDAY 3RD SEPTEMBER
  • Pre-Game Tailgate - 9 to 11 a.m. at Trinity College Dublin
  • Aer Lingus College Football Classic Kickoff - 12:30 p.m. at Aviva Stadium
  • Post-Game Celebration - Trinity College Dublin

http://hub.collegefootballireland.com/

The official game week schedule is now available and jam packed with exciting events starting on Thursday 1st September leading up to the game and finishing with post-game celebrations! The Welcome Village at Trinity College Dublin will be the game headquarters throughout the game weekend with pep rallies, pre-game tailgate and much more being held right in Dublin City Center.

THURSDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER
  • Joint Faculty Symposium - 9 a.m. to Noon at Trinity College Dublin | Register Online
  • Welcome Parade - 4:30 to 5 p.m. at Merrion Square
  • Marching Band Classic - 6 to 10 p.m. at Malahide Castle
FRIDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER
  • IDA Ireland Business Breakfast - 8 to 10 a.m. at Royal College of Physicians of Ireland | Register Online
  • American Football Showcase (High School Games) at Donnybrook Stadium;Details below
  • Pep Rallies - Trinity College Dublin
    • 3 p.m. - Boston College
    • 4:30 p.m. - Georgia Tech
  • Leinster Rugby, Pro12 League Game - 7:30 p.m. at Donnybrook Stadium;discounted ticket information below
SATURDAY 3RD SEPTEMBER
  • Pre-Game Tailgate - 9 to 11 a.m. at Trinity College Dublin
  • Aer Lingus College Football Classic Kickoff - 12:30 p.m. at Aviva Stadium
  • Post-Game Celebration - Trinity College Dublin
I hope they tell us exactly where at Trinity College the tailgating will be.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sky scanner is good for finding the cheap fares from the major airports. We ended up last year driving to Chicago, the fare from Detroit was almost double.....x4 and the drive saved me over 3K. This years trip to East Africa, I found the cheapest flight was out of Dulles by quite a lot..I still checked several other sites for comparison....I ended up using vouchers and miles to get Dulles. It will let you track prices as well which is a nice feature. Also ended up using a regional discount airlines for a couple of flights as well once we were over there.

Going to a major airport, like Dulles, is what we do for international flights. Whether we drive there and long term park or fly there, it's often worth it.

One other thing I have found is when you go to the airline booking reservation site and go to pay, pay in the local currency in your credit card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees (my Visa Card doesn't). I just did that for Aer Lingus and it was about 4% less than the exchange rate Aer Lingus was going to give me. Americans aren't nearly as used as to currency exchange as other countries which is why they try to get away with it I guess.

Also, some of the previous posts about rental car coverage made me check into using my credit card (Visa). Ireland is one of a couple "special" countries where you need to get a letter of coverage if you want your credit card to cover the car rental insurance and you MUST decline the extra insurance ..... a bunch of easy things but worth checking. So when I get two weeks out, I'll get the letter of coverage. So I'd recommend anyone going to call their credit card company if they are renting a car. I haven't had to do this before, but Ireland is an exception like Israel and another country.

Animal02

Banned
Going to a major airport, like Dulles, is what we do for international flights. Whether we drive there and long term park or fly there, it's often worth it.

One other thing I have found is when you go to the airline booking reservation site and go to pay, pay in the local currency in your credit card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees (my Visa Card doesn't). I just did that for Aer Lingus and it was about 4% less than the exchange rate Aer Lingus was going to give me. Americans aren't nearly as used as to currency exchange as other countries which is why they try to get away with it I guess.

Also, some of the previous posts about rental car coverage made me check into using my credit card (Visa). Ireland is one of a couple "special" countries where you need to get a letter of coverage if you want your credit card to cover the car rental insurance and you MUST decline the extra insurance ..... a bunch of easy things but worth checking. So when I get two weeks out, I'll get the letter of coverage. So I'd recommend anyone going to call their credit card company if they are renting a car. I haven't had to do this before, but Ireland is an exception like Israel and another country.
Have fun....wish I could have made it happen, but the 8 y.o. has football as well. I have to settle for the Pitt game, since the CYO game that week is on Sunday.

irishbearsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Hi all, an Irish gridiron fan here! I hope you will all enjoy your trip!

I definitely recommend the Leinster vs Treviso rugby match on the Friday after the high school football games in Donnybrook. The RDS, where the rugby is played, is only 10 minutes walk from Donnybrook. It's the first game of the rugby season so there should be a good atmosphere. Post match the area is great for some late night beers!

In terms of places to visit in Dublin, as you are sports fans you might enjoy visiting Croke Park which is the GAA stadium (it's much larger than the Aviva). Any of you with Irish roots would definitely enjoy it. The All-Ireland hurling final between Kilkenny and Tipperary (hurling's Superbowl!) will be played on Sunday 4th at 3:30pm. It will be a sellout but it's definitely worth a watch on TV or in the pub!

If you want a scenic trip I recommend taking the DART (light rail) from the city centre southbound towards Bray/Greystones. The train goes along the coast and if the weather is good (!!!) the views are stunning.

Animal02

Banned

I definitely recommend the Leinster vs Treviso rugby match on the Friday after the high school football games in Donnybrook. The RDS, where the rugby is played, is only 10 minutes walk from Donnybrook. It's the first game of the rugby season so there should be a good atmosphere. Post match the area is great for some late night beers!

In terms of places to visit in Dublin, as you are sports fans you might enjoy visiting Croke Park which is the GAA stadium (it's much larger than the Aviva). Any of you with Irish roots would definitely enjoy it. The All-Ireland hurling final between Kilkenny and Tipperary (hurling's Superbowl!) will be played on Sunday 4th at 3:30pm. It will be a sellout but it's definitely worth a watch on TV or in the pub!

If you want a scenic trip I recommend taking the DART (light rail) from the city centre southbound towards Bray/Greystones. The train goes along the coast and if the weather is good (!!!) the views are stunning.

Another thing think about is the Hop on Hop off Bus Tour. (You can get them on line for E10 one day of E18 three day) It makes a big loop around town, on a double decker bus with narration.....we used it like a taxi.......(though you get tired of the same narration all the time)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Now for the important stuff: when do the bars close and what's the ratio of red headed lasses?