Introduce yourself

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We likely did, depending on your schedule. I had Harper for a few classes (I remember people saying our class retired Harper and killed Pettit, though we walked graduation in June of '86.), Gray, Helfrich for design, and a bunch I just cannot remember. Re J. J. Harper, "Low-Speed Wind Tunnel Testing" by Pope and Harper was still the testing bible when I was in the game in the '80s.

I don't remember any names.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
My wife used to commute from Strasburg to Reston and has plenty of horror stories about the traffic :) She basically lived her life on 66. She moved here when we got married, and thought she was moving to the land of the Unwashed Masses and Rednecks. Growing up in Virginia like she did, she should have already been aware of the gentility that fairly oozes from the ground here in the Land of Jefferson!

I manage to avoid 66 (thank god), but I feel her pain :)

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
New here - but I have heard of the site over the past couple of years. Dropped into the thread "GT Academic Horror Stories" after Googling for Virgil Smith. That leads me to my background: AE '86 (I had Virgil for two classes over three quarters and learned that Dr. Chen is really a nice guy.); I lived in Towers back in the day, and have a soft spot for The Varsity - my gold standard for onion rings. I worked at NASA Langley for 10 years doing rotorcraft research. Got tired of dodging funding cuts, and switched to easier software work. I've lived in the Charlottesville, VA area since '96, and have been to a lot of UVA football, baseball and basketball games, and always make the GT game. I have twin sons and live 30 minutes from anything.
Welcome aboard.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
New here - but I have heard of the site over the past couple of years. Dropped into the thread "GT Academic Horror Stories" after Googling for Virgil Smith. That leads me to my background: AE '86 (I had Virgil for two classes over three quarters and learned that Dr. Chen is really a nice guy.); I lived in Towers back in the day, and have a soft spot for The Varsity - my gold standard for onion rings. I worked at NASA Langley for 10 years doing rotorcraft research. Got tired of dodging funding cuts, and switched to easier software work. I've lived in the Charlottesville, VA area since '96, and have been to a lot of UVA football, baseball and basketball games, and always make the GT game. I have twin sons and live 30 minutes from anything.
Welcome aboard!

@YellowJacket86. What year(s) were you in Towers? I was a RA and Asst Hall Director for a bit there.
Did you attend any BA 500 competitions?

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
OMSCS Student from Fargo, ND.
Planning to move to Atlanta.
Grew up a NDSU fan where I did my undergrad.
Own a beautiful Old English Bulldogge who will demonstrate his loyalty with a Tech collar.
When it gets cold you could get the dog a jacket:
92407e68b4f82c8e4982e396c4d46377.jpg

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Hi!
I have been going to tech games (football, baseball, basketball) pretty much my whole life ('83-->), but I live in California, practicing law and working on software projects. I need a place to follow them, and this group seems great!

I am excited by the respectful tone here, and the collective knowledge is impressive. go jackets!

My favorite in-person game was the near-perfect game Joe Hamilton threw in a close loss to #1 FSU in '99. I had the good luck to get knucks from Herbstreit before the game; he thought it would be a close one and it was.

ibleedgoldnwhite

Georgia Tech Fan
New member here. 34 years old, went to Valdosta State, so I'm a sidewalk fan. My grandfather was taking me to Tech football and basketball games before I could walk. I've been a die hard my whole life. I look forward to spreading the good word with everyone! Go Jackets!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
New member here. 34 years old, went to Valdosta State, so I'm a sidewalk fan. My grandfather was taking me to Tech football and basketball games before I could walk. I've been a die hard my whole life. I look forward to spreading the good word with everyone! Go Jackets!
Welcome aboard.

YellowJacket86

Georgia Tech Fan
Welcome aboard!

@YellowJacket86. What year(s) were you in Towers? I was a RA and Asst Hall Director for a bit there.
Did you attend any BA 500 competitions?

In Towers from Fall '82 to Spring '86. Remember BA 500? My roommate won it one year! Not sure if it was that year or the one before, but there was some dude running around with a camera, and there was a group of naked dudes chasing him. He ran straight into our room.... Our RA was Pat something - at least for the first couple of years. He was really cool, older, maybe on the 7-Year-Plan.... One of his buds borrowed my Pink Floyd "The Wall" album, and I never got it back, so if you're Pat and you remember that dude, tell him I want my album back!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
In Towers from Fall '82 to Spring '86. Remember BA 500? My roommate won it one year! Not sure if it was that year or the one before, but there was some dude running around with a camera, and there was a group of naked dudes chasing him. He ran straight into our room.... Our RA was Pat something - at least for the first couple of years. He was really cool, older, maybe on the 7-Year-Plan.... One of his buds borrowed my Pink Floyd "The Wall" album, and I never got it back, so if you're Pat and you remember that dude, tell him I want my album back!

Actually had two Pat's one was tall and thin, the other had super curly hair. I'm not Pat - but do know both of :)...
I was an RA and Asst. Hall Director in Towers from Fall '82 - Spring '85. Hall Director over in Brown Harris 85/86.
If you did any of the intramural sports there's a good chance we know each other. "Managed"/"coached" many of the teams.

... and yes, I participated in multiple BA 500's :)

YellowJacket86

Georgia Tech Fan
Actually had two Pat's one was tall and thin, the other had super curly hair. I'm not Pat - but do know both of :)...
I was an RA and Asst. Hall Director in Towers from Fall '82 - Spring '85. Hall Director over in Brown Harris 85/86.
If you did any of the intramural sports there's a good chance we know each other. "Managed"/"coached" many of the teams.

... and yes, I participated in multiple BA 500's :)
Cool - what floor were you on? I was in 214 until my senior year - just a few hours short of guaranteed housing, and lost the lottery. Ended up staying on floor 2, but in one of the 4-man rooms with three freshmen! They were rowdy! Turned out pretty good.

Wow - just looked at a floor plan. That place has been reworked, from what I can tell. What was 214 is now 246. What is now 216 was a four-man suite, as was what is 217 now. I was good friends with Mike Minchew and Richard Hawkins - they were in what looks like 202 now, but not then - next to the fire escape. Was also friends with Kelly Kester from floor 3 - he was AE as well. He, Richard and I had a lot of classes together. Richard went back for a master's and ended up working at NASA Langley when I was there. We hung out a lot, and are still good friends.

Did you ever play Glenn Phone Tag with tall, skinny Pat? Evil but hilarious!