Introduce yourself

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree though this idea of a Tech man is good if .......he can coach but folks forget that in 79 Curry had ........Steve Spurrier as his qb coach and they didnt keep him......now that makes you wonder what could have been.

Pepper was still coaching in '79. He's the one who hired Spurrier... When Curry was hired in '80, I think he cleaned house and got new coaches in. I think Spurrier might have left early so he wouldn't get replaced, at least that's what I heard. That year Pepper has both Spurrier (QB coach) and Norm Van Brocklin (running backs) on his staff.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure what "N" you are referring to. If you mean my picture, when ISIS began attacking Iraq and killing or driving out Christians a facebook post asked people to change their facebook picture to this to show solidarity with them. It means something (I forget exactly what) in Arabic.
It's the Arabic letter 'Nun', which is their letter 'N". The word for 'Christian' in Arabic is "Nasarin" (Nazarene), so that's what the Nun stands for...

JacketJim

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello everyone. I'm a dyed in the wool Tech fan since the late 1950's even before I was a Tech student. Graduated back in '73 and follow football, basketball and baseball almost religiously. Being newly retired, I spend much of my time hatin' Georgia (wouldn't root for the Dawgs if they were plaing ISIS) and finding new ways to lose golf balls in the woods, sandtraps, or water hazards. Am doing my best to prove the adage that you can never play too much golf. JacketJim

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Pepper was still coaching in '79. He's the one who hired Spurrier... When Curry was hired in '80, I think he cleaned house and got new coaches in. I think Spurrier might have left early so he wouldn't get replaced, at least that's what I heard. That year Pepper has both Spurrier (QB coach) and Norm Van Brocklin (running backs) on his staff.
I stand approved as being wrong.Missed it by a year...still though letting Spurrier go may always be a "what if for tech fans".Ole Pepper could liven up pracice no doubt with Edie Adams and name coaches.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Weren't we afraid that Spurrier would've bolted to Florida when that job became available ?
Not sure since he was not a big timer then...he was asst and think he went to Dook ....would have love d to have his offense at the flats.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I stand approved as being wrong.Missed it by a year...still though letting Spurrier go may always be a "what if for tech fans".Ole Pepper could liven up pracice no doubt with Edie Adams and name coaches.
Enjoyed Pepper a lot when I was younger, almost idolized him. Was the Jackets' coach during my grammar school years (2nd - 7th grade) and I'd hoped I'd get to play for him at Tech one day when I was older. Was devastated when he was fired, but looking back on it years later, the coaching change made sense. Not the best game manager... Lost a few games on some critical coaching blunders, especially the '78 Georgia game in Athens. But he was a lot of fun to be around. I attended Coach Rodgers' football camp in '77, and it really meant a lot to me when he'd walk by and comment on how well I hustled and how hard I hit. For a kid that's everything. On the last day of camp he spoke with my Dad over by the old film room, reminiscing about Tech in the '50s. It was neat being coached by him, even if it was just a camp.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Enjoyed Pepper a lot when I was younger, almost idolized him. Was the Jackets' coach during my grammar school years (2nd - 7th grade) and I'd hoped I'd get to play for him at Tech one day when I was older. Was devastated when he was fired, but looking back on it years later, the coaching change made sense. Not the best game manager... Lost a few games on some critical coaching blunders, especially the '78 Georgia game in Athens. But he was a lot of fun to be around. I attended Coach Rodgers' football camp in '77, and it really meant a lot to me when he'd walk by and comment on how well I hustled and how hard I hit. For a kid that's everything. On the last day of camp he spoke with my Dad over by the old film room, reminiscing about Tech in the '50s. It was neat being coached by him, even if it was just a camp.
I knew when I saw a video of Pepper and Edie riding around in golf cart during practice that we were in trouble. But he could recruit and was fun to be around.Edie Adams was the girl who used to advertize on TV..nice looking women.

BLKJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Hi All,

I'm Corey CS class of 11, should have been 2010 but i took the customary victory lap. I'm originally from NJ but have been in Atlanta for most of my life so I'm a fan of all major ATL teams (GO HAWKS!!). I've been lurking on here ever since a fellow techie introduced me to the site about a year ago, so figured it was time to make it official. I'm currently living in Oakland but try to make back to ATL for games when i can. In fact I got to witness The Kick & The Pick live, easily one of the top 2 sporting moments of my life: I was in the dome a few years ago when we beat the Seahawks by a last second FG.

THWG

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
First post ever. Been a lurker on several GT boards and chose to get my feet wet by joining the best one. My thanks to Eric+staff for your insight, several posters for your analysis, and everyone for keeping it classy.

Got out in summer '90 and moved far away so I missed the entire championship season. Only recently began following the team again and now I can't stay off this darn board. Most memorable games attended: 1) 1989 win @Clemson on their homecoming; and 2014 night game vs Miami with my daughter.

No college football experience here but while in high school I once knew a very good looking kid who ran the 3O from under center to win state championship(s) in Alabama. Needless to say, I'm very fond of our offense.

Looking forward to the upcoming season and hope to make another game or two. Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Hey ladies and gents! honestly the most important thing for everyone to know about me is I have a true hatred for ugag. Is there anything else yall need to know lol?

Extra I forgot about: I didn't start going to games until the 2012 season, but one of my favorite was the 2013 game against unc. It was pouring rain, and we had some annoying unc fans behind us. They took the lead early, but as we all know we came back and won. As the game neared the end they left early, and had a very shameful walk down the stairs in front of everyone they were annoying earlier in the game.

Last edited:

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Hey ladies and gents! honestly the most important thing for everyone to know about me is I have a true hatred for ugag. Is there anything else yall need to know lol?

Extra I forgot about: I didn't start going to games until the 2012 season, but one of my favorite was the 2013 game against unc. It was pouring rain, and we had some annoying unc fans behind us. They took the lead early, but as we all know we came back and won. As the game neared the end they left early, and had a very shameful walk down the stairs in front of everyone they were annoying earlier in the game.
Glad to have you and remember "No matter how the day goes against the boys....you can alwasy summon up enough air to yell Hell with gA at top of your lungs "

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
My name is Dena and I've been a member here since June of last year. I read a lot and post on occasion if I feel I have something to contribute or want to make a joke. (Probably more of the latter.) Thought I should finally introduce myself. I was born in Atlanta and have been a Tech fan as long as I can remember. I became a serious fan when my oldest son started at Tech in 2009. He took me to my first football game against Miami and we sat (stood) in the front row of the south end zone student section! After that I was hooked! He gave me season tickets for Mother's Day and has every year since. Haven't missed a home game since then! He became a EE graduate in 2013, ECE masters in 2015 and is now working on his doctrine while working as a GRA and teaching a project building class. My youngest son starts at Tech next week in Applied Mathematics. Needless to say I am a proud GTMom. My family calls me a fanatic when it comes to Georgia Tech football and I'm proud of it! [emoji2] I enjoy reading all the news and insight here on the Swarm. #GoJackets #TogetherWeSwarm #THWg

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My name is Dena and I've been a member here since June of last year. I read a lot and post on occasion if I feel I have something to contribute or want to make a joke. (Probably more of the latter.) Thought I should finally introduce myself. I was born in Atlanta and have been a Tech fan as long as I can remember. I became a serious fan when my oldest son started at Tech in 2009. He took me to my first football game against Miami and we sat (stood) in the front row of the south end zone student section! After that I was hooked! He gave me season tickets for Mother's Day and has every year since. Haven't missed a home game since then! He became a EE graduate in 2013, ECE masters in 2015 and is now working on his doctrine while working as a GRA and teaching a project building class. My youngest son starts at Tech next week in Applied Mathematics. Needless to say I am a proud GTMom. My family calls me a fanatic when it comes to Georgia Tech football and I'm proud of it! [emoji2] I enjoy reading all the news and insight here on the Swarm. #GoJackets #TogetherWeSwarm #THWg
Nice to meet you Dena.