Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hardaway, Baker and Columbus High alumni on one thread must mean there is some kind of cosmic crack in the universe.

Perhaps there is more to some majors than the name implies. My youngest daughter did digital archiving for a firm in the financial district in NY. She triple majored in college and she said her African American studies major was challenging. But it may have been because of where she went to school.

So maybe dairy science involves a lot of advanced chemistry. :)
The sad part we are all about the same age and now old.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The sad part we are all about the same age and now old.
Naw, I'm still a kid.

Wonder what did the people at the other schools do for fun? Mulberry Creek? Dinglewoods? Electric Toadstool? A certain drive through window at a certain liquor store? Flat Rock? Stables at Fort Benning?

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
People that will major in "anything" to play football with not do well at Tech.
I disagree...I was 17 yrs old and had no idea what I wanted to do. However, I was accepted and knew that a degree from GT would serve me well for the rest of my life. It was correct and it's something I'm quite proud of achieving. Also think about how many successful people change professions after receiving a certain degree. Getting a GT degree infers a certain level of intellect, discipline and work ethic that many employers will want on their team.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Naw, I'm still a kid.

Wonder what did the people at the other schools do for fun? Mulberry Creek? Dinglewoods? Electric Toadstool? A certain drive through window at a certain liquor store? Flat Rock? Stables at Fort Benning?
We were the poor school kind of like Jordan , We would crewed up and down Victory Drive, would get 6 in a car all pitch in for gas money most the time all we got was less than a $1 but gas was $0.30 and sometimes $0.28 and stopped at Krystal for $.05 hamburgers .

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I disagree...I was 17 yrs old and had no idea what I wanted to do. However, I was accepted and knew that a degree from GT would serve me well for the rest of my life. It was correct and it's something I'm quite proud of achieving. Also think about how many successful people change professions after receiving a certain degree. Getting a GT degree infers a certain level of intellect, discipline and work ethic that many employers will want on their team.

I think what @Animal02 was talking about are kids who don't care what the major is because they are only in school because it provides a place for them to play football. What you are describing are kids, like yourself, who were motivated to get a meaningful college degree and knew that it was going to be something that, in your case, GT offered and that would be worth the effort.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
I do know I tried to help my grandson in Math and it was the 4 th grade not sure what they are trying to teach now but they don't do things like we did .
My son went to metro ATL public school, took multi-variable calculus, made perfect score in Math on SAT. Now in last semester at GT. My point being that even in ATL public schools, there is enough curriculum to prepare these guys at GT. Like most things, you get out of it what you put into it.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
I do remember Mulberry Creek, Flat Rock Park, Dinglewood's chilli dogs, drive through Shoney's...(& some places best not mentioned!)
At that time, Columbus was either Bulldogs or War Eagle country. (may still be!?!) Being on the Alabama border, we were the closest big town to Auburn. Columbus did host the GA / Auburn game, but the game outgrew the 9,000 seat stadium!! Go figure!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We were the poor school kind of like Jordan , We would crewed up and down Victory Drive, would get 6 in a car all pitch in for gas money most the time all we got was less than a $1 but gas was $0.30 and sometimes $0.28 and stopped at Krystal for $.05 hamburgers .
I went to the Krystal on Wynton Road.

Animal02

Banned
I think what @Animal02 was talking about are kids who don't care what the major is because they are only in school because it provides a place for them to play football. What you are describing are kids, like yourself, who were motivated to get a meaningful college degree and knew that it was going to be something that, in your case, GT offered and that would be worth the effort.
I was actually thinking about what happened with me ...I wanted to major in architecture....recruiter after recruiter said "change your major" so you can play football. It was a huge turn off. I think had I chosen just any major, in order to play ball, I would not have been successful at either. I see lots of posts saying, "oh, they can just major in this or that" I do not believe we should be recruiting kids that really do not have an interest in what Tech has to offer. I strongly disagree with the attitude of "well they can just major in business" .It really goes against the "Total man" concept. I really hope that the new staff is honest up front and recruit to those that have that interest in what Tech has to offer and not just because there is a position that needs filled.

Animal02

Banned
You knew you wanted a degree...that is different. I won't repeat my other post again here....saw the other first .;)

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I do remember Mulberry Creek, Flat Rock Park, Dinglewood's chilli dogs, drive through Shoney's...(& some places best not mentioned!)
At that time, Columbus was either Bulldogs or War Eagle country. (may still be!?!) Being on the Alabama border, we were the closest big town to Auburn. Columbus did host the GA / Auburn game, but the game outgrew the 9,000 seat stadium!! Go figure!
Those steak sandwiches at Shoneys then were awesome

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, IBB.
LOTS of great data but things that jumped out at me
- Tech had 31 special admits and uga had 63--09-14
-they mention the majority of Tech majors were Bus Admin,---- at uga the major mentioned was for PRE-_business!! Where do they go after PRE-business.? or never get there? or what?
-the other comment was --"there are NO records of WHAT the grads do with their degrees after graduation.THAT is where the real story is.All those sociology , Rec, and General studies degrees are pretty worthless even if they graduate.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was actually thinking about what happened with me ...I wanted to major in architecture....recruiter after recruiter said "change your major" so you can play football. It was a huge turn off. I think had I chosen just any major, in order to play ball, I would not have been successful at either. I see lots of posts saying, "oh, they can just major in this or that" I do not believe we should be recruiting kids that really do not have an interest in what Tech has to offer. I syronstr disagree with the attitude of "well they can just major in business" .It really goes against the "Total man" concept. I really hope that the new staff is honest up front and recruit to those that have that interest in what Tech has to offer and not just because there is a position that needs filled.

Agree 100%. GT shouldn't recruit kids to just play football, they need to recruit kids who want to play football (or whatever sport) AND desire a major GT offers. GT isn't "GT" if we are signing kids for the sake of sports and disregard their professional aspirations.

The beauty of GT is there are enough majors here and enough kids who desire what GT offers that recruiting high level kids shouldn't be out of the question.

Animal02

Banned
Agree 100%. GT shouldn't recruit kids to just play football, they need to recruit kids who want to play football (or whatever sport) AND desire a major GT offers. GT isn't "GT" if we are signing kids for the sake of sports and disregard their professional aspirations.

The beauty of GT is there are enough majors here and enough kids who desire what GT offers that recruiting high level kids shouldn't be out of the question.
Exactly......but it will take a lot more effort to find those kids than a normal factory school....and we were already losing the arms race cash wise. There have been several posters here that have promoted the football first idea......as well as the CPJ was a horrible recruiter.....while refusing to recognize the structural road blocks we face.

Animal02

Banned
Thanks, IBB.
LOTS of great data but things that jumped out at me
- Tech had 31 special admits and uga had 63--09-14
-they mention the majority of Tech majors were Bus Admin,---- at uga the major mentioned was for PRE-_business!! Where do they go after PRE-business.? or never get there? or what?
-the other comment was --"there are NO records of WHAT the grads do with their degrees after graduation.THAT is where the real story is.All those sociology , Rec, and General studies degrees are pretty worthless even if they graduate.
As long as they can articulate "Paper or plastic" or "Would you like fries with that" or "Would you like to Supersize that order". They will always find work. :D

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This. I never worked a day in my major field of study, but my degree always opened doors in every endeavor.