Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
GT IS NOT a viable choice for everyone....in fact it is a viable choice for a very small slice of D1 level football players.

Were you a D1 athlete? When you attend GT? What was your major?

You make assumptions as if you recently “got out” of Scheller after playing 4 years of football.

I didn’t play football here, but I did play one of the “big 3” less than 15 years ago. I feel you are way off base. My GPA was higher at GT than it was in HS. I can assure you I was not at GT for a degree when I showed up on campus either. My focus was to play at the next level.

The business school is great, but it is not some dragon that can’t be slain. Yes, everyone has to take 2 lab sciences, 2 math courses, and CS. Those are no cake walks, but (at least when I was there) it didnt matter when you took them. I took CS my 2nd to last semester and my final EAS my last semester. So if a stud has NFL aspirations, he can put off some of those classes in the first 3 years. At that point, he will have a good idea if he has a legit shot at the next level or not. If so, he can always come back and take them after the NFL. If not, he will have a better mindset and understand the value of his degree and will most likely take the class more seriously at that point.

Many have said it, all it takes is some effort. I do agree that there are some kids that would never get in nor make it here. I feel you are significantly underestimating how many could get in and stay in.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Before my time 68-71 I would guess CHS won that would have been about their good times , want to say the won the state in 1967?
They lost the final to Marietta in a cold rain and sleet storm at Grant Field. Refs could not even find the yard markers. Marietta won on a punt return where the runner stepped out of bounds 2 or 3 times but raining so hard the refs couldn't see it. It was CHS's only loss of the season.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I was actually thinking about what happened with me ...I wanted to major in architecture....recruiter after recruiter said "change your major" so you can play football. It was a huge turn off. I think had I chosen just any major, in order to play ball, I would not have been successful at either. I see lots of posts saying, "oh, they can just major in this or that" I do not believe we should be recruiting kids that really do not have an interest in what Tech has to offer. I strongly disagree with the attitude of "well they can just major in business" .It really goes against the "Total man" concept. I really hope that the new staff is honest up front and recruit to those that have that interest in what Tech has to offer and not just because there is a position that needs filled.

To play devil’s advocate I really had no idea what I wanted to do long term in life even while in college. So I got a business degree and figured it out later. A business degree will open a variety of doors to different employment and specialized degrees can be obtained later if one decides to enter a field that requires that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To play devil’s advocate I really had no idea what I wanted to do long term in life even while in college. So I got a business degree and figured it out later. A business degree will open a variety of doors to different employment and specialized degrees can be obtained later if one decides to enter a field that requires that.
Now that I am recently retired I feel like I finally have time to figure out what I want to do. :)

Animal02

Banned
Were you a D1 athlete? When you attend GT? What was your major?

You make assumptions as if you recently “got out” of Scheller after playing 4 years of football.

I didn’t play football here, but I did play one of the “big 3” less than 15 years ago. I feel you are way off base. My GPA was higher at GT than it was in HS. I can assure you I was not at GT for a degree when I showed up on campus either. My focus was to play at the next level.

The business school is great, but it is not some dragon that can’t be slain. Yes, everyone has to take 2 lab sciences, 2 math courses, and CS. Those are no cake walks, but (at least when I was there) it didnt matter when you took them. I took CS my 2nd to last semester and my final EAS my last semester. So if a stud has NFL aspirations, he can put off some of those classes in the first 3 years. At that point, he will have a good idea if he has a legit shot at the next level or not. If so, he can always come back and take them after the NFL. If not, he will have a better mindset and understand the value of his degree and will most likely take the class more seriously at that point.

Many have said it, all it takes is some effort. I do agree that there are some kids that would never get in nor make it here. I feel you are significantly underestimating how many could get in and stay in.

Wow......you miss by a mile. This is NOT about kids "able" to get in nor stay in......this is about kids WANTING what Tech has to offer.

As to me.....it has little impact on the conversation......but yes I was recruited by D1 schools....and if you could follow the conversation, I wanted to major in Architecture (which I did) and was turned off by recruiters who kept pushing me to change majors in order to play ball.

Your entire response was a great big non sequitar.:rolleyes:

Animal02

Banned
We are not a viable choice for everyone but I would
suggest that “slice” is much bigger than you think.
I am referencing degree options....NOT academic qualifications.
Tech offers about 40 degree programs the last time I looked......most are engineering......all are STEM.
Michigan State, for example...has around 150 degree programs that range from engineering to sheep farming and everything in between. So yes, the Slice that Tech offers is rather small.

Animal02

Banned
And that works for those that don't know what they want to do. But lots of kids do. And many posters here just assume that because Tech offers a Business degree and the :"Liberal Arts" science degree, that any recruit can simply major in that if they are academically eligible and therefore Tech can recruit just about anybody and everybody. The fact is, not everybody, and I would suggest that it is probably closer to 10% will have an interest in Engineering or the other type of science degrees.....business, math, biology, etc that Tech offers. I would also argue that it is immoral for recruiters to push kids to change their major solely to play football. That goes against the "Total Man" concept that is being pushed.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow......you miss by a mile. This is NOT about kids "able" to get in nor stay in......this is about kids WANTING what Tech has to offer.

As to me.....it has little impact on the conversation......but yes I was recruited by D1 schools....and if you could follow the conversation, I wanted to major in Architecture (which I did) and was turned off by recruiters who kept pushing me to change majors in order to play ball.

Your entire response was a great big non sequitar.:rolleyes:

Tough to follow much of what you say. I’m not going to go back through this thread or any others, but I’m fairly confident you have said on more than one occassion STTE of: “it is not about getting kids in, but keeping them in.”

And as to you, it does have impact on the conversation. You speak as with authority, yet you seemingly did not play a sport at a D1 level and especially not at GT. On ther other hand, at least 3 former GT student athletes (at least one played football recently) have refuted many of your claims. So your thoughts wouldn’t seem to carry as much weight to most people.

I’ve sat on the sidelines just reading through threads for several weeks now watching you and a few others continue to beat the same drum as if you’re trying to negative recruit us (which ironically the only person ive ever put on ignore seems to have a big problem with). You obviously have a right to an opinion, but it could be beneficial to pay attention to those that have been through what you seem to think is so impossible so the vast majority of football players.

I’m just glad you’re not selling our program. These kids may not have WANTED what GT had to offer, but things have changed and it seems like more kids actual WANT what we have always had to offer, but are now finally properly selling.

eastpoint

Georgia Tech Fan
Most of them want to go to uga though. We haven’t been getting our fair share and hopefully this staff can.
UGA is signing like 5 kids a year from Georgia. Most metro Atlanta kids do not really grow up UGA fans. GT is losing lots of kids to Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee, Texas, Stanford, ND, Florida, UNC, Duke, etc.

At least half of the top 50 kids can cut it at GT academically no problem. Collins is trying to get 10-15 of those a year. Why not ride the wave and give him the benefit of the doubt? It won’t hurt to have a little hope.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
UGA is signing like 5 kids a year from Georgia. Most metro Atlanta kids do not really grow up UGA fans. GT is losing lots of kids to Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee, Texas, Stanford, ND, Florida, UNC, Duke, etc.

At least half of the top 50 kids can cut it at GT academically no problem. Collins is trying to get 10-15 of those a year. Why not ride the wave and give him the benefit of the doubt? It won’t hurt to have a little hope.

This is false. two of the last three years uga has had 10-11 of the top 50 in GA. It's how they keep pace with Bama. And I'm not sure where you're getting your data on metro Atlanta kids not being uga fans, but from what I've seen, that's also incorrect.

I agree with you on riding the wave though. We all need to get behind CGC.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. I did not know that.
GREEN BAY 20-17
1962PACKERS~~element832.png

(COLUMBUS, GA) - The preliminary events out of the way in perfect order, the Green Bay Packers began looking forward today to defense of their NFL title. The Packers wound up the exhibition season Saturday night with a victory over the Washington Redskins. It gave them a clean sweep of six decisions in preliminary play this year. The victory also ran the Packers string to 19 consecutive decisions in exhibition games. They haven't been beaten in such games since 1959. Bart Starr and his understudy, John Roach, passed the Packers to their victory over the Redskins. Starr, who went off the field in the third quarter limping with an ankle injury, threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to Ron Kramer in the first period and another for three yards to Max McGee in the third quarter. Roach, who quarterbacked the Packers most of the second, half, added another touchdown on a 10-yard pass to Tom Moore in the second quarter.
GREEN BAY - 3 14 7 7 - 20
WASHINGTON - 0 7 0 0 - 14

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
GREEN BAY 20-17
1962PACKERS~~element832.png

(COLUMBUS, GA) - The preliminary events out of the way in perfect order, the Green Bay Packers began looking forward today to defense of their NFL title. The Packers wound up the exhibition season Saturday night with a victory over the Washington Redskins. It gave them a clean sweep of six decisions in preliminary play this year. The victory also ran the Packers string to 19 consecutive decisions in exhibition games. They haven't been beaten in such games since 1959. Bart Starr and his understudy, John Roach, passed the Packers to their victory over the Redskins. Starr, who went off the field in the third quarter limping with an ankle injury, threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to Ron Kramer in the first period and another for three yards to Max McGee in the third quarter. Roach, who quarterbacked the Packers most of the second, half, added another touchdown on a 10-yard pass to Tom Moore in the second quarter.
GREEN BAY - 3 14 7 7 - 20
WASHINGTON - 0 7 0 0 - 14
Norm Snead was the quarterback of the Washington Redskins and the backup quarterback was George Izo. Tom Osborne the future head coach of Nebraska was a Redskins wide receiver.

eastpoint

Georgia Tech Fan
This is false. two of the last three years uga has had 10-11 of the top 50 in GA. It's how they keep pace with Bama. And I'm not sure where you're getting your data on metro Atlanta kids not being uga fans, but from what I've seen, that's also incorrect.

I agree with you on riding the wave though. We all need to get behind CGC.
I noticed they signed 6 players from GA this year. They seem to be recruiting more nationally like Alabama. I have coached a lot of ball and my sons play travel ball. Never have we been on a team where anywhere close to half of the kids were UGA fans.

Specifically, very few black kids grow up having anyone in their family who has ever attended UGA. There are as many FSU fans as UGA fans. Same with Clemson, Alabama, and Auburn not to mention UNC, Duke, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn state, etc. In Cobb county and north Fulton, there are lots of GT fans. Rural GA tends to be skewed toward UGA but that is not the case in Atlanta.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tough to follow much of what you say. I’m not going to go back through this thread or any others, but I’m fairly confident you have said on more than one occassion STTE of: “it is not about getting kids in, but keeping them in.”

And as to you, it does have impact on the conversation. You speak as with authority, yet you seemingly did not play a sport at a D1 level and especially not at GT. On ther other hand, at least 3 former GT student athletes (at least one played football recently) have refuted many of your claims. So your thoughts wouldn’t seem to carry as much weight to most people.

I’ve sat on the sidelines just reading through threads for several weeks now watching you and a few others continue to beat the same drum as if you’re trying to negative recruit us (which ironically the only person ive ever put on ignore seems to have a big problem with). You obviously have a right to an opinion, but it could be beneficial to pay attention to those that have been through what you seem to think is so impossible so the vast majority of football players.

I’m just glad you’re not selling our program. These kids may not have WANTED what GT had to offer, but things have changed and it seems like more kids actual WANT what we have always had to offer, but are now finally properly selling.

He keeps posting things as gospel truth based on some skewed perception rooted in his experience 30+ years ago as a regular student while ignoring the actual experiences of SAs from the past decade.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Now that I am recently retired I feel like I finally have time to figure out what I want to do. :)
Use your skills and be volunteer to your local hs football coach - most programs are way short on staff. Help set up booster than meeting, organize a Letterman at spring scrimmage, etc AND ALWAYS WEAR GT GEAR.
It's a blast!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He keeps posting things as gospel truth based on some skewed perception rooted in his experience 30+ years ago as a regular student while ignoring the actual experiences of SAs from the past decade.

Not entirely. I can’t recall any names now but I think we have fairly recently targeted some athletes that were in particular interested in pursuing medical degrees to become doctors.

We tried to sell them on bio-engineering or some such as a path toward that goal I believe. And I’m pretty certain we lost out on those, just a couple I think, recruits as other programs offered better paths toward their academic goals.

It’s probably not a large percentage of our targets but that’s a recent example for you.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Uga is signing who they want largely regardless of where they are from. Most metro area high schoolers are mutt fans in my experience. But yes others are pulling from the metro area also and as I said Tech hasn’t been getting its fair share. I said nothing to convey CGC can’t imorove this. But that doesn’t change the fact that most high school kids are uga fans.