Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Administrative changes made at the start of Paul Johnson’s tenure towards Academics and the expansion of the tutoring system for athletes have made it a lot easier. Hell, just look at what just happened with Maryland. Or the players academically suspended at FSU and Michigan this year. The last 2 best recruits out of Georgia majored in something that was the polar opposite of what they said they wanted to in high school, as major offerings didn’t mean **** as to where they went as other factors mattered more, and major selection ended up playing next to no role at all. That is how it plays out with most highly rated prospects, as they are being sold on making it to the NFL, which is a higher priority to them. You’re acting like if we interviewed every player in the team asking if they’d work a 9-5 of their intended majorniut or high school or make it to the NFL, all 85 would choose the former, and that is what they should choose to do. I disagree. With the way schools are now being ranked, Tech is a hell of a lot easier than it used to be, as retention and class sizes matter more. Is it more difficult than others absolutely, but there are a ton of systems in place to give athletes the support they need. 960 SAT. End of discussion. Academics will always being a great selling point, but they don’t have to be the selling point.
Don't leave out this important point, however. At most factories when the coach sits down to chat with a recruit he doesn't talk about academic support, a 40 year plan or being the best you. He says, "What's your major? Good, we have that, now let's talk about why this is your easiest path to the NFL."

Animal02

Banned
Administrative changes made at the start of Paul Johnson’s tenure towards Academics and the expansion of the tutoring system for athletes have made it a lot easier. Hell, just look at what just happened with Maryland. Or the players academically suspended at FSU and Michigan this year. The last 2 best recruits out of Georgia majored in something that was the polar opposite of what they said they wanted to in high school, as major offerings didn’t mean **** as to where they went as other factors mattered more, and major selection ended up playing next to no role at all. That is how it plays out with most highly rated prospects, as they are being sold on making it to the NFL, which is a higher priority to them. You’re acting like if we interviewed every player in the team asking if they’d work a 9-5 of their intended majorniut or high school or make it to the NFL, all 85 would choose the former, and that is what they should choose to do. I disagree. With the way schools are now being ranked, Tech is a hell of a lot easier than it used to be, as retention and class sizes matter more. Is it more difficult than others absolutely, but there are a ton of systems in place to give athletes the support they need. 960 SAT. End of discussion. Academics will always being a great selling point, but they don’t have to be the selling point.

So then you disagree with the "Total Man" concept that TStan and the new coaching staff are pushing? You rally think that kids coming out of high school with the NFL as their primary goal will think Tech is a good option for them.

Is winning the lotto your primary goal of retirement savings?

Tech may be easier than it used to be.....it is still far more difficult than the factories

#1 way to turn off a recruit.....being fake and not having their best interest at heart. That sure seems to be where you are leaning.

Animal02

Banned
My opinion is the GT slice of the pie is bigger than we think. Avail majors aside, even at UGA current admissions boast avg kids with 4.0 GPA and 1400 SAT.
I think GT grads turn out to be responsible productive citizens regardless ofLike chosen major. I think an undergrad degree from GT can be an accomplishment that changes the trajectory of young lives. Maybe the chance/modeling they have not been afforded other than just 'playing ball'. We all know that's not a career path for most. I guess I just want that for more kids vs less.
The pie slice is so big that we have 15k undergrads compared to 50k at some schools.
Gt grads turn out to be productive citizens, as well as criminals, deadbeats etc. just like every other school.

"We all know that's not a career path for most" An obvious point that is denied by several posters here.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I thought I had an idea what I wanted to do but really had no idea. After graduation I spent thirty years in the textile industry. I was an AE major as a freshman. My second career was twelve years teaching school and I absolutely loved it .
I still feel attending Tech was my best choice and graduating my proudest accomplishment.

Very similar thinking here. I have been in manufacturing (mainly the QA engineering roles) for almost 35 years, but I love to teach, and I plan to make that my 2nd career once I finish my first. :) I had NO idea what I wanted to do, even when I finished with my BEE degree - started out in an early career program with GE to "buy me some more time". It has worked out, since I am a nerd who loves math and statistics.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't leave out this important point, however. At most factories when the coach sits down to chat with a recruit he doesn't talk about academic support, a 40 year plan or being the best you. He says, "What's your major? Good, we have that, now let's talk about why this is your easiest path to the NFL."
It’s naive to assume Georgia tech doesn’t do that at all

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
So then you disagree with the "Total Man" concept that TStan and the new coaching staff are pushing? You rally think that kids coming out of high school with the NFL as their primary goal will think Tech is a good option for them.

Is winning the lotto your primary goal of retirement savings?

Tech may be easier than it used to be.....it is still far more difficult than the factories

#1 way to turn off a recruit.....being fake and not having their best interest at heart. That sure seems to be where you are leaning.
More than 50% of 5* and 25% of 4* get drafted, and a 4* is 4x more likely to get drafted. A person can do academics, be heavily recruited, and care about football more. See Calvin Johnson, who wanted to study civil engineering in high school, but ended up majoring in management at tech. Their best interest can be the NFL and higher rated recruits are way more likely to make it, especially after the CBS and Yahoo put investments into recruiting services and they have become more accurate. Saying it’s exponentially more difficult is insulting to every tutor and academic advisor we have at tech. Issues occurred 15 years ago due to administative oversight and steps have been taken to alleviate it. Find one athlete that chose a school because they listed an easy ride through school as their reason for committing. I’ve yet to find one. And 25-60% chance of winning the lottery? I’ll participate every single time. If you don’t, I really have questions for your understandings of statistics. And it looks like you have development completely out of the picture. Do you think that infamous picture of Collins with all the DBs he has sent to the NFL isn’t a recruiting tool to show that that 25% can be higher? And yes, we do think kids with the NFL as a goal will come to tech. Just look at Qua Searcy

Animal02

Banned
More than 50% of 5* and 25% of 4* get drafted, and a 4* is 4x more likely to get drafted. A person can do academics, be heavily recruited, and care about football more. See Calvin Johnson, who wanted to study civil engineering in high school, but ended up majoring in management at tech. Their best interest can be the NFL and higher rated recruits are way more likely to make it, especially after the CBS and Yahoo put investments into recruiting services and they have become more accurate. Saying it’s exponentially more difficult is insulting to every tutor and academic advisor we have at tech. Issues occurred 15 years ago due to administative oversight and steps have been taken to alleviate it. Find one athlete that chose a school because they listed an easy ride through school as their reason for committing. I’ve yet to find one. And 25-60% chance of winning the lottery? I’ll participate every single time. If you don’t, I really have questions for your understandings of statistics. And it looks like you have development completely out of the picture. Do you think that infamous picture of Collins with all the DBs he has sent to the NFL isn’t a recruiting tool to show that that 25% can be higher? And yes, we do think kids with the NFL as a goal will come to tech. Just look at Qua Searcy
Ypu haven't looked very hard......there have been many many posts regarding "playing school"
You sure can create the giant straw men to futilely try and prove a point.
Stating that Tech is far more difficult than the factories is NOT insulting academic advisors and tutors.
Fact is less about 2% make it in the NFL......bad odds as a career choice.

Keep believing your fantasy.......I will just by more popcorn.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ypu haven't looked very hard......there have been many many posts regarding "playing school"
You sure can create the giant straw men to futilely try and prove a point.
Stating that Tech is far more difficult than the factories is NOT insulting academic advisors and tutors.
Fact is less about 2% make it in the NFL......bad odds as a career choice.

Keep believing your fantasy.......I will just by more popcorn.
Yes, NFL is a pipe dream for over 90% of aspirants. Question is how to finesse recruits so that you don't kill their dream while preparing them for the real world.

Animal02

Banned
Yes, NFL is a pipe dream for over 90% of aspirants. Question is how to finesse recruits so that you don't kill their dream while preparing them for the real world.
Tech can be attractive to someone like a Calvin Johnson.....he was smart enough to know (as well as having smart parents) that getting an education was critical if the NFL did not work out. Unfortunately, he is an extremely rare commodity.
Unfortunate as well (and all to common) is players like Vlad Lee......with too many whispering in his ear about his NFL future.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Tech can be attractive to someone like a Calvin Johnson.....he was smart enough to know (as well as having smart parents) that getting an education was critical if the NFL did not work out. Unfortunately, he is an extremely rare commodity.
Unfortunate as well (and all to common) is players like Vlad Lee......with too many whispering in his ear about his NFL future.

Vad isn't the best example to prove your case, as he did come here and only left because he didn't like the offense.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He is a perfect example of someone that had people whispering in his ear about how great he was. Never made it to the league either.

I would venture to say pretty much all 3 star and above recruits think they have at least a shot at the league, including the ones who come to Tech.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I encourage you to join me in largely sitting back and hoping for the best. This thread has a long post from a font who spent weeks trashing our last coach now warning against the impact of negative posts.

This. Though, on the other hand, a few posters who were very positive for the last regime have been a bit overly negative towards the new regime. It goes both ways.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
The pie slice is so big that we have 15k undergrads compared to 50k at some schools.
Gt grads turn out to be productive citizens, as well as criminals, deadbeats etc. just like every other school.

"We all know that's not a career path for most" An obvious point that is denied by several posters here.
I don't even know how to respond to this. So you think if we doubled the seats at Tech we wouldn't fill them? How many qualified applicants don't get accepted each year simply because we don't have room?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No I’m saying that Trenton Thompson’s desire to play football st UGA was greater than his desire to study physical education because he figured playing football at uga gave him a good shot at making it to the NFL, which was more important to him than studying physical education. Same with Trevor Lawrence. They allowed those athletes to pursue their dreams as they were more important than a major they really weren’t sure as to what they wanted to study. I see nothing wrong with that. Schools end goal is to help athletes meet their goal. I mean tech still has a pro day for that very reason. It’s asinine to assume no recruits come into Georgia tech with 0 zilch nada hopes of making it to the NFL and it should be any schools job to provide resources to do so.

The examples you cite seem to indicate other schools provided a more attractive academic environment to peruse their football dreams.

We will see if the new regime can change this.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My opinion is the GT slice of the pie is bigger than we think. Avail majors aside, even at UGA current admissions boast avg kids with 4.0 GPA and 1400 SAT.
I think GT grads turn out to be responsible productive citizens regardless of chosen major. I think an undergrad degree from GT can be an accomplishment that changes the trajectory of young lives. Maybe the chance/modeling they have not been afforded other than just 'playing ball'. We all know that's not a career path for most. I guess I just want that for more kids vs less.

Do you know what the average GPA of incoming mutt players is or how they compare to incoming Tech ballers?