1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by gtwcf, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Northeast Stinger

Northeast Stinger Helluva Engineer

Don't leave out this important point, however. At most factories when the coach sits down to chat with a recruit he doesn't talk about academic support, a 40 year plan or being the best you. He says, "What's your major? Good, we have that, now let's talk about why this is your easiest path to the NFL."

Whiskey_Clear and Animal02 like this.
  2. Animal02

Animal02 Helluva Engineer

So then you disagree with the "Total Man" concept that TStan and the new coaching staff are pushing? You rally think that kids coming out of high school with the NFL as their primary goal will think Tech is a good option for them.

Is winning the lotto your primary goal of retirement savings?

Tech may be easier than it used to be.....it is still far more difficult than the factories

#1 way to turn off a recruit.....being fake and not having their best interest at heart. That sure seems to be where you are leaning.

3. Animal02

The pie slice is so big that we have 15k undergrads compared to 50k at some schools.
    Gt grads turn out to be productive citizens, as well as criminals, deadbeats etc. just like every other school.

"We all know that's not a career path for most" An obvious point that is denied by several posters here.

4. AlabamaBuzz

AlabamaBuzz Helluva Engineer

Very similar thinking here. I have been in manufacturing (mainly the QA engineering roles) for almost 35 years, but I love to teach, and I plan to make that my 2nd career once I finish my first. :) I had NO idea what I wanted to do, even when I finished with my BEE degree - started out in an early career program with GE to "buy me some more time". It has worked out, since I am a nerd who loves math and statistics.

5. smathis30

smathis30 Helluva Engineer

It’s naive to assume Georgia tech doesn’t do that at all

6. smathis30

smathis30 Helluva Engineer

More than 50% of 5* and 25% of 4* get drafted, and a 4* is 4x more likely to get drafted. A person can do academics, be heavily recruited, and care about football more. See Calvin Johnson, who wanted to study civil engineering in high school, but ended up majoring in management at tech. Their best interest can be the NFL and higher rated recruits are way more likely to make it, especially after the CBS and Yahoo put investments into recruiting services and they have become more accurate. Saying it’s exponentially more difficult is insulting to every tutor and academic advisor we have at tech. Issues occurred 15 years ago due to administative oversight and steps have been taken to alleviate it. Find one athlete that chose a school because they listed an easy ride through school as their reason for committing. I’ve yet to find one. And 25-60% chance of winning the lottery? I’ll participate every single time. If you don’t, I really have questions for your understandings of statistics. And it looks like you have development completely out of the picture. Do you think that infamous picture of Collins with all the DBs he has sent to the NFL isn’t a recruiting tool to show that that 25% can be higher? And yes, we do think kids with the NFL as a goal will come to tech. Just look at Qua Searcy

Lee and Boaty1 like this.
  7. Northeast Stinger

Pretty cynical of you given all the public statements in the past by the coaching staff on this. Yeah, I think it is different at the factories. Naive not to think so.

Towaliga, Whiskey_Clear and Animal02 like this.
  8. Animal02

Ypu haven't looked very hard......there have been many many posts regarding "playing school"
    You sure can create the giant straw men to futilely try and prove a point.
    Stating that Tech is far more difficult than the factories is NOT insulting academic advisors and tutors.
    Fact is less about 2% make it in the NFL......bad odds as a career choice.

Keep believing your fantasy.......I will just by more popcorn.

9. Animal02

All you can do is shake your head in amazement of the denial.

10. Northeast Stinger

Yes, NFL is a pipe dream for over 90% of aspirants. Question is how to finesse recruits so that you don't kill their dream while preparing them for the real world.

Whiskey_Clear and Animal02 like this.
  11. Animal02

Tech can be attractive to someone like a Calvin Johnson.....he was smart enough to know (as well as having smart parents) that getting an education was critical if the NFL did not work out. Unfortunately, he is an extremely rare commodity.
    Unfortunate as well (and all to common) is players like Vlad Lee......with too many whispering in his ear about his NFL future.

12. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Helluva Engineer

Vad isn't the best example to prove your case, as he did come here and only left because he didn't like the offense.

13. Animal02

He is a perfect example of someone that had people whispering in his ear about how great he was. Never made it to the league either.

14. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Helluva Engineer

I would venture to say pretty much all 3 star and above recruits think they have at least a shot at the league, including the ones who come to Tech.

GTRock likes this.
  15. knoxjacket

knoxjacket Helluva Engineer

I’ve made this argument before. He refuses to accept it.

16. Augusta_Jacket

Augusta_Jacket Helluva Engineer

This. Though, on the other hand, a few posters who were very positive for the last regime have been a bit overly negative towards the new regime. It goes both ways.

GTRock likes this.
  17. GTRambler

GTRambler Helluva Engineer

Isn’t it more precisely 98%? I’ve read many times that only about 2% of all college football players make it in the NFL.

Northeast Stinger likes this.
  18. ncjacket79

ncjacket79 Helluva Engineer

I don't even know how to respond to this. So you think if we doubled the seats at Tech we wouldn't fill them? How many qualified applicants don't get accepted each year simply because we don't have room?

19. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

The examples you cite seem to indicate other schools provided a more attractive academic environment to peruse their football dreams.

We will see if the new regime can change this.

20. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

Do you know what the average GPA of incoming mutt players is or how they compare to incoming Tech ballers?