Implications of GT being relevant in recruiting

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Not entirely. I can’t recall any names now but I think we have fairly recently targeted some athletes that were in particular interested in pursuing medical degrees to become doctors.

We tried to sell them on bio-engineering or some such as a path toward that goal I believe. And I’m pretty certain we lost out on those, just a couple I think, recruits as other programs offered better paths toward their academic goals.

It’s probably not a large percentage of our targets but that’s a recent example for you.
But we were also running the 30 with all the baggage that came with that so it could be a different story going forward. We’re getting way down a rabbit hole here and dealing with a lot of variables. My take is that we have expanded our potential targets and are approaching recruits in a different way. But some of the comments people are borderline crazy. Talking to a kid about majors we have available and selling what they could do with them, even if they think they want something we don’t have is not immoral. It what you do. They can choose to do what they want and many of these kids don’t really know what they want to major in. The one thing we know is we won funnel them into some crap major.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
But we were also running the 30 with all the baggage that came with that so it could be a different story going forward. We’re getting way down a rabbit hole here and dealing with a lot of variables. My take is that we have expanded our potential targets and are approaching recruits in a different way. But some of the comments people are borderline crazy. Talking to a kid about majors we have available and selling what they could do with them, even if they think they want something we don’t have is not immoral. It what you do. They can choose to do what they want and many of these kids don’t really know what they want to major in. The one thing we know is we won funnel them into some crap major.

I wouldn’t ascribe it as immoral but the fact is that Tech doesn’t have optimal academic paths for some high academic SA’s. And again, that’s a small percentage of who we target but will include some of those gem genius super athletes that we might lose to a Stanford or Cal Tech or similar.

And I’m not saying Tech shouldn’t try to sway them. So long as we aren’t deceitful in any way in doing so. Swaying them will always be a huge recruiting coup.

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not entirely. I can’t recall any names now but I think we have fairly recently targeted some athletes that were in particular interested in pursuing medical degrees to become doctors.

We tried to sell them on bio-engineering or some such as a path toward that goal I believe. And I’m pretty certain we lost out on those, just a couple I think, recruits as other programs offered better paths toward their academic goals.

It’s probably not a large percentage of our targets but that’s a recent example for you.
The road to medical school may not be the easiest via Georgia Tech, but I can tell you from experience, it is doable. The challenges of academics and athletics at Georgia Tech prepared me well not only for the rigors of med school, but my residency and practice.
Go Jackets!

Animal02

Banned
Tough to follow much of what you say. I’m not going to go back through this thread or any others, but I’m fairly confident you have said on more than one occassion STTE of: “it is not about getting kids in, but keeping them in.”

And as to you, it does have impact on the conversation. You speak as with authority, yet you seemingly did not play a sport at a D1 level and especially not at GT. On ther other hand, at least 3 former GT student athletes (at least one played football recently) have refuted many of your claims. So your thoughts wouldn’t seem to carry as much weight to most people.

I’ve sat on the sidelines just reading through threads for several weeks now watching you and a few others continue to beat the same drum as if you’re trying to negative recruit us (which ironically the only person ive ever put on ignore seems to have a big problem with). You obviously have a right to an opinion, but it could be beneficial to pay attention to those that have been through what you seem to think is so impossible so the vast majority of football players.

I’m just glad you’re not selling our program. These kids may not have WANTED what GT had to offer, but things have changed and it seems like more kids actual WANT what we have always had to offer, but are now finally properly selling.
You, like several posters here read into posts what you want to read into them.
You just admitted you have read through the thread so you are speaking out of your *** when you claim to know what the intent of my post is. As for saying “it is not about getting kids in, but keeping them in.” That is a fact that many posters refuse to admit. Being academically eligible and willing to do the work to stay eligible are two separate issues. As I and others have said, there is no place to hide. Those that want to put in the effort have lots of help available, but they still have to want to.
Show me where any of the former players have refuted that.
Furthermore, the FACT remains that TECH offers a very limited number of majors compared to most schools. Not every kid wants to major in engineering or business which is a roadblock in recruiting. Please show where that was been refuted.
Last, show the negative recruitment you claim. In the mean time, I will get the popcorn.

Animal02

Banned
The road to medical school may not be the easiest via Georgia Tech, but I can tell you from experience, it is doable. The challenges of academics and athletics at Georgia Tech prepared me well not only for the rigors of med school, but my residency and practice.
Go Jackets!
Very true. I have known doctors who majored in math and engineering as undergrads. Also knew a lawyer who's undergrad was architecture. His practice specialized in building construction issues. It is a risky path...compared to coasting through a poli sci or biology program at a lesser school and pulling a 4.0.....put it would be a huge benefit in the end.

Animal02

Banned
Putting words in my mouth...I never said. What I said, and it is with regard to others posters saying "they can just major in this or that to play ball", is that IMO, it is immoral , in the TOTAL PERSON concept they are trying to sell, to try to convince a kid that knows what he wants to major in to switch to something else JUST TO PLAY FOOTBALL. I have no problem with showing the recruit what Tech has to offer and what it may lead to. There is a BIG difference.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Putting words in my mouth...I never said. What I said, and it is with regard to others posters saying "they can just major in this or that to play ball", is that IMO, it is immoral , in the TOTAL PERSON concept they are trying to sell, to try to convince a kid that knows what he wants to major in to switch to something else JUST TO PLAY FOOTBALL. I have no problem with showing the recruit what Tech has to offer and what it may lead to. There is a BIG difference.

I encourage you to join me in largely sitting back and hoping for the best. This thread has a long post from a font who spent weeks trashing our last coach now warning against the impact of negative posts.

Animal02

Banned
I wouldn’t ascribe it as immoral but the fact is that Tech doesn’t have optimal academic paths for some high academic SA’s. And again, that’s a small percentage of who we target but will include some of those gem genius super athletes that we might lose to a Stanford or Cal Tech or similar.

And I’m not saying Tech shouldn’t try to sway them. So long as we aren’t deceitful in any way in doing so. Swaying them will always be a huge recruiting coup.
There is a big difference from swaying a kid or showing them a different path to the same goal....I am talking about a kid that wants to major in film, or theater, or sheep farming etc. (Yes those are extreme examples) There are several posters here that seem to take the stance that kids should should/ will just "major in something" Tech offers just to play . While there may be some that do that, there are more that won't

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
You, like several posters here read into posts what you want to read into them.
You just admitted you have read through the thread so you are speaking out of your *** when you claim to know what the intent of my post is. As for saying “it is not about getting kids in, but keeping them in.” That is a fact that many posters refuse to admit. Being academically eligible and willing to do the work to stay eligible are two separate issues. As I and others have said, there is no place to hide. Those that want to put in the effort have lots of help available, but they still have to want to.
Show me where any of the former players have refuted that.
Furthermore, the FACT remains that TECH offers a very limited number of majors compared to most schools. Not every kid wants to major in engineering or business which is a roadblock in recruiting. Please show where that was been refuted.
Last, show the negative recruitment you claim. In the mean time, I will get the popcorn.
Trenton Thompson #1 overall 2015 recruit said he wanted to study Khysival education. Majored in fashion mechandiaing at UGa
Trevor Lawrence wanted to major in Forensic science burn is currently undeclared. That's just the two most recent #1 overall recruits that went to our rivals. I'm sure there are plenty more

Animal02

Banned
Trenton Thompson #1 overall 2015 recruit said he wanted to study Khysival education. Majored in fashion mechandiaing at UGa
Trevor Lawrence wanted to major in Forensic science burn is currently undeclared. That's just the two most recent #1 overall recruits that went to our rivals. I'm sure there are plenty more
So you are saying we should follow what UGA does?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

“they”

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I disagree...I was 17 yrs old and had no idea what I wanted to do. However, I was accepted and knew that a degree from GT would serve me well for the rest of my life. It was correct and it's something I'm quite proud of achieving. Also think about how many successful people change professions after receiving a certain degree. Getting a GT degree infers a certain level of intellect, discipline and work ethic that many employers will want on their team.
I agree. I thought I had an idea what I wanted to do but really had no idea. After graduation I spent thirty years in the textile industry. I was an AE major as a freshman. My second career was twelve years teaching school and I absolutely loved it .
I still feel attending Tech was my best choice and graduating my proudest accomplishment.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Go Jackets!

Totally agree. But as you said that path isn’t typically the easiest through Tech and that can be a hurdle with some even if some members here wish it were not so.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
So you are saying we should follow what UGA does?
No I’m saying that Trenton Thompson’s desire to play football st UGA was greater than his desire to study physical education because he figured playing football at uga gave him a good shot at making it to the NFL, which was more important to him than studying physical education. Same with Trevor Lawrence. They allowed those athletes to pursue their dreams as they were more important than a major they really weren’t sure as to what they wanted to study. I see nothing wrong with that. Schools end goal is to help athletes meet their goal. I mean tech still has a pro day for that very reason. It’s asinine to assume no recruits come into Georgia tech with 0 zilch nada hopes of making it to the NFL and it should be any schools job to provide resources to do so.

Animal02

Banned
No I’m saying that Trenton Thompson’s desire to play football st UGA was greater than his desire to study physical education because he figured playing football at uga gave him a good shot at making it to the NFL, which was more important to him than studying physical education. Same with Trevor Lawrence. They allowed those athletes to pursue their dreams as they were more important than a major they really weren’t sure as to what they wanted to study. I see nothing wrong with that. Schools end goal is to help athletes meet their goal. I mean tech still has a pro day for that very reason. It’s asinine to assume no recruits come into Georgia tech with 0 zilch nada hopes of making it to the NFL and it should be any schools job to provide resources to do so.
The difference being you go to a school like UGA if the NFL is your primary goal, because you can coast through....not at Tech. Tech recruits are going to have to see school as a priority...which means degree major is a primary factor.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
My opinion is the GT slice of the pie is bigger than we think. Avail majors aside, even at UGA current admissions boast avg kids with 4.0 GPA and 1400 SAT.
I think GT grads turn out to be responsible productive citizens regardless of chosen major. I think an undergrad degree from GT can be an accomplishment that changes the trajectory of young lives. Maybe the chance/modeling they have not been afforded other than just 'playing ball'. We all know that's not a career path for most. I guess I just want that for more kids vs less.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
The difference being you go to a school like UGA if the NFL is your primary goal, because you can coast through....not at Tech. Tech recruits are going to have to see school as a priority...which means degree major is a primary factor.
Administrative changes made at the start of Paul Johnson’s tenure towards Academics and the expansion of the tutoring system for athletes have made it a lot easier. Hell, just look at what just happened with Maryland. Or the players academically suspended at FSU and Michigan this year. The last 2 best recruits out of Georgia majored in something that was the polar opposite of what they said they wanted to in high school, as major offerings didn’t mean **** as to where they went as other factors mattered more, and major selection ended up playing next to no role at all. That is how it plays out with most highly rated prospects, as they are being sold on making it to the NFL, which is a higher priority to them. You’re acting like if we interviewed every player in the team asking if they’d work a 9-5 of their intended majorniut or high school or make it to the NFL, all 85 would choose the former, and that is what they should choose to do. I disagree. With the way schools are now being ranked, Tech is a hell of a lot easier than it used to be, as retention and class sizes matter more. Is it more difficult than others absolutely, but there are a ton of systems in place to give athletes the support they need. 960 SAT. End of discussion. Academics will always being a great selling point, but they don’t have to be the selling point.