I’m making a documentary about the 2014 season for its 10th anniversary

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That game rectified a bunch of difficult losses to the mutts, and 2008 and 2016 washed away stains as well, but there is still much to be done. Strange loss after strange loss are still unanswered. Can this year be the year?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I surprisingly wasn’t super anxious at the game. I think after the way the game went in 2013, I had become convinced that the football gods had given georgie some ridiculous plot armor against us. Every time something went our way, I thought “Oh, that’s a nice surprise.” Every time something went their way, I thought “Yeah, that seems about right. Here comes the annual heartbreak.” When we won, I felt euphoric.

Having a head coach now who knows what it feels like to beat them as a player multiple times gives me confidence that we’ll see a lot fewer of the ridiculous instances of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

y‘all will probably like this one.

Thanks for these.
FWIW, I still think Ray Drew blew-up our Center on both the blocked FG and the blocked EP.

Fun Fact: Our Offense that year scored 3.52 points/drive against Power 5 teams, which was good for 2nd in the nation.

Over CPJ's eleven years, against BCS AQ or Power 5 teams, our offense ranked in the top 5 twice, in the top 11 five times, and in the top 25 eight times among teams that played at least 3 qualifying opponents that year. Our three years out of the top 25 were 2008 (#43), 2010 (#37), and 2015 (#56).

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for these.
FWIW, I still think Ray Drew blew-up our Center on both the blocked FG and the blocked EP.
I heard from a player on the team that CPJ complained to the officials (SEC) about that and was told there wasn’t a rule against it, only to have the conference office admit later that there is. I’m not sure if that actually happened, but then again, that was the same officiating crew that said JTs forward progress wasn’t stopped at the goal line even though his “fumble “ was on the 3-4 yard line (and I remember a close up photo showing the ball crossing the goal line).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I heard from a player on the team that CPJ complained to the officials (SEC) about that and was told there wasn’t a rule against it, only to have the conference office admit later that there is. I’m not sure if that actually happened, but then again, that was the same officiating crew that said JTs forward progress wasn’t stopped at the goal line even though his “fumble “ was on the 3-4 yard line (and I remember a close up photo showing the ball crossing the goal line).
There have been some eye-opening calls by SEC officials in the GT-UGa game over the years. I recall an interference call in the end zone that was a terrible call (don't recall the year) which cost us a win.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
The irony is that the 2014 games bad calls were by ACC officials...
I may be mistaken, but I thought by 2014 the host team’s conference were the on-field officiating crew. If you go back and look at GTswarm threads from 2014, there are several comments about the SEC officiating in this game.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I may be mistaken, but I thought by 2014 the host team’s conference were the on-field officiating crew. If you go back and look at GTswarm threads from 2014, there are several comments about the SEC officiating in this game.
That is my understanding as well. I believe it wasn't always that way, but after "Jasper thanks", the mutts insisted on having SEC officials at their home games. Also, I'm pretty sure the story about our long snapper getting run over and the ensuing complaint was from CPJ himself. There were several officiating errors he pointed out in that game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There have been some eye-opening calls by SEC officials in the GT-UGa game over the years. I recall an interference call in the end zone that was a terrible call (don't recall the year) which cost us a win.
That happened in two different games both leading to the game winning score. One of the games Tech intercepted on 4th down but a flag was thrown down field on another player for interference.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
That happened in two different games both leading to the game winning score. One of the games Tech intercepted on 4th down but a flag was thrown down field on another player for interference.
The one I recall was ‘97.
I remember because I had gone home for Thanksgiving (out of state) so I found a place I could watch on TV.
We trailed all day, finally took the lead with under a minute. D was on skates deep into our own territory when T. Tillman stepped right in front of a pass to intercept and end it…. But they called PI on the corner who was in coverage on the intended receiver a yard or two behind the interception and gave uGA first and goal instead.
That hurt

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I remember because I had gone home for Thanksgiving (out of state) so I found a place I could watch on TV.
We trailed all day, finally took the lead with under a minute. D was on skates deep into our own territory when T. Tillman stepped right in front of a pass to intercept and end it…. But they called PI on the corner who was in coverage on the intended receiver a yard or two behind the interception and gave uGA first and goal instead.
That hurt
I think ‘99 makes up for that one :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That hurt
That was the play I recall.