I’m making a documentary about the 2014 season for its 10th anniversary

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The thing I remember most about that Georgia Southern game was how much of a morgue it was around BDS after the game concluded. Georgia Southern brought a huge contingent and they were all shocked. Tech fans were all emotionally exhausted after the blown lead and comeback. Eerily dead silent walking up North Ave.
Thank goodness for replay on that lateral that was originally called an incomplete pass. JT showed his stuff in order to win that one. That game proved to me that Fritz was a really good coach. The other really good coach at that level was Sheridan at Furman.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Thank goodness for replay on that lateral that was originally called an incomplete pass. JT showed his stuff in order to win that one. That game proved to me that Fritz was a really good coach. The other really good coach at that level was Sheridan at Furman.
They actually were FBS at that point

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Two peeves.
One, PJ never said he hated recruiting. He didn't care for recruiting rankings. Thought they were dumb. He may have disliked the recruiting process, especially now, when it's all about how much money you can come up with up front. Besides, if he didn't care about recruiting, we wouldn't have gotten JT - and we wouldn't have gotten Tobias Oliver, whom PJ recruited personally.
Two, I coach writers not to use "would score" or "would do this" or "would do that." Just go and write they did that thing - they scored, they picked up the first down, they came up with key stop, etc. It gets your end user to the point faster. I hear "they would (something)" and I wonder is there a "but (this other thing happened)" coming up next.

OTT, very well done so far.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Part 4 drops TOMORROW and will cover the entire uga game.
So many things went against us in that game but the team was determined they were not going to lose, no matter what. The final interception has this moment where it seems like the entire team comes out of this extended focused trance and suddenly realizes they’ve won.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Two peeves.
One, PJ never said he hated recruiting. He didn't care for recruiting rankings. Thought they were dumb. He may have disliked the recruiting process, especially now, when it's all about how much money you can come up with up front. Besides, if he didn't care about recruiting, we wouldn't have gotten JT - and we wouldn't have gotten Tobias Oliver, whom PJ recruited personally.
Two, I coach writers not to use "would score" or "would do this" or "would do that." Just go and write they did that thing - they scored, they picked up the first down, they came up with key stop, etc. It gets your end user to the point faster. I hear "they would (something)" and I wonder is there a "but (this other thing happened)" coming up next.

OTT, very well done so far.
Eeehhh Paul hated recruiting, fundraising and doing any type of marketing for the program. He is responsible for us losing thousands of fans. I know it may be taboo here but I was sooooo happy when he left. Obviously it sucked who replaced him first

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Eeehhh Paul hated recruiting, fundraising and doing any type of marketing for the program. He is responsible for us losing thousands of fans. I know it may be taboo here but I was sooooo happy when he left. Obviously it sucked who replaced him first
Strange take given that our attendance was better under him than it was with a lot of coaches we have had. And did you ever attend his live call in show? It was masterful PR for the program with his stories and anecdotes.

And, yes, it’s true, he never said he hated recruiting. He specifically said, “I work on receiving every day.” I don’t blame him for the lack of recruiting and staff support that he continuously asked for and rarely got became the AD decided to go cheap on us.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Strange take given that our attendance was better under him than it was with a lot of coaches we have had. And did you ever attend his live call in show? It was masterful PR for the program with his stories and anecdotes.

And, yes, it’s true, he never said he hated recruiting. He specifically said, “I work on receiving every day.” I don’t blame him for the lack of recruiting and staff support that he continuously asked for and rarely got became the AD decided to go cheap on us.
The crowds under Gailey were a lot better. Just look up any home game from 2003 to 2007 and you will see this. Not saying I don’t like CPJ. Just saying it was definitely time for him to go

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I loved Paul bc of his pros, but yeah his cons could be annoying. He was still a helluva coach though.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
The crowds under Gailey were a lot better. Just look up any home game from 2003 to 2007 and you will see this. Not saying I don’t like CPJ. Just saying it was definitely time for him to go
From ‘09-‘16 attendance was also good. It wasn’t until about 2018 when it began to slip dramatically.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
He hated fundraising and marketing. But he knew he needed players if he wanted to win. And nobody hated losing more than PJ. There were aspects of recruiting he didn't like but he also knew how important it was.
I also want to know how he is "responsible for us losing thousands of fans." Saw a hell of a lot of em in Miami for the Orange Bowl in 2014 and in Jacksonville for TaxSlayer Bowl.
Sure hope you didn't go to both Orange Bowls in his tenure.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It seemed at times that Justin Thomas could move us down the field just by force of will. I think Haynes King has that too.
He may not have JT's speed - who does, though Haynes is not slow by any means - but he looks to be a better passer than JT, who wasn't bad. If Haynes can limit the turnovers, he's got a chance to put big numbers and wins. JT is a good comp for Haynes when it comes to on field leadership.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
From ‘09-‘16 attendance was also good. It wasn’t until about 2018 when it began to slip dramatically.
College football as a whole experienced a decline in attendance between 2008 and 2019. Average FBS attendance dropped, year over year, every year but one (2010) over that span. 2008 average FBS attendance was 46,971. 2019 average FBS attendance was 41,477. That represents an 11.7% drop over that span. Since then, it seems to have leveled off just under 42K.

2021 - 39,848
2022 - 41,840
2023 - 41,867

Last edited: