I’m making a documentary about the 2014 season for its 10th anniversary

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember the Pitt game most of all.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

That game was absurd. Not only an incredible number of Pitt fumbles in such a short period (perhaps a record, but maybe surpassed by 222-0), but the incredible effort play by DJ White.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

As I think I said at the time, Pitt must have been convinced that Tech had a witch doctor on the sidelines casting spells on their whole team. I've never seen a breakdown like that happen so very, very fast. I was stunned as I watched. Pleased too, of course.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I remember I was at my sister's wedding that day. I think the kick was like 3:30 or so, right as I was getting ready and heading over to the venue. I checked my phone for a score update about 5 or 10 minutes later and it was 28-0. Thought I was hallucinating but was very glad I didn't have to stress the rest of the day!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It will be very similar to stuff you see by SB Nation/Jon Bois.

That season brought this fanbase together in a way I haven’t seen since.

BELOW IS TRAILER

Yeah, this is true. If Tech had won against FSU, I continue to think that we would have won the playoffs. Nobody in the country was up to stopping the O at the last. Also, nobody else in the playoffs had seen it before and the personnel on that team were uniquely suited to running the spread option.

Ah, well. What could have been …

Last edited:

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, this is true. If Tech had won against FSU, I continue to think that we would have won the playoffs. Nobody in the country was up to stopping the O at the last. Also, nobody else in the playoffs had seen it before and the personnel on that team were uniquely suited to running the spread option.

Ah, well. What could have been …
We needed one of the Duke or UNC losses back. If we beat FSU then TCU would’ve gotten in.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, the biggest play of the year (save Butker and White vs. UGA) was the 4th and 15 conversion from Thomas to Smelter with 2 minutes left in Blacksburg. My sons and I couldn't believe we converted. The triple option rarely ends up well in those situations.
Watching at my buddy's house in Savannah. Right after Butker made the kick, I turned to my buddy and said, "there is something about this team. We are about to be in for a very special season."
All the way to midnight at the Orange Bowl.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have said this before but after the Ga Southern game I wrote on FTRS that “this team has gumption.” This was a team that never gave up and was always capable of pulling out a victory when most teams would have quit. Chasing down ball carriers deep in the secondary and stripping the ball was indicative. Doing that in Athens when uga looked like they were going to put a huge lead on us was crucial.

How many of you remember that before the season the defense spent extra time on take away drills, working on interceptions and stripping the ball? The turnover margin that season was not luck.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, rewatching the 2014 VT game today reminded me again of my favorite player from that time period - Synjyn Days. IIRC, dude came in at QB. Then bounced to A-Back. Then to B-back, where he settled in the rotation until (IIRC) Lesley got hurt that year. He picked up and never took his foot off the gas - they had to play him. Which led to the amazing 1-2 punch that finished out the season.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on the above - but that was what I remember.

I also don’t know what sort of conversations happened in the locker room, or with the coaches, or on the sidelines. But every time I saw him during that season, dude was super-positive. From the “WE’RE GOING TO CHARLOTTE!!!” Line in fall camp to seeing him be the first to go up and congratulate Butker on making a kick during the VT game, My impression of him is and always will be the definition of a team player.

Didn’t work out at QB? Put me in at A-Back. Need depth at B-back? I’m your man. Seemed like a guy who kept his nose to the grindstone, kept working hard, and finally saw it come to fruition in one helluva season.

it seemed to me that

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
In my opinion, the biggest play of the year (save Butker and White vs. UGA) was the 4th and 15 conversion from Thomas to Smelter with 2 minutes left in Blacksburg. My sons and I couldn't believe we converted. The triple option rarely ends up well in those situations.
Sorry to derail and not trying to pick on you, it’s just a trigger for me when people say an offense isn’t “made” for third or fourth and long. What offense does well in that situation?

Specific to Paul Johnson’s teams, we had seasons where we were Top 10 in explosive plays using the triple option. Success in that situation is either talent-driven (in which case it’s not a scheme but a recruiting thing) or play calling (risk/reward, etc). Of course, I’m one that thinks very little of schemes - people didn’t think Urban Meyers scheme would work a a “football school” like Florida, for instance. I think good coaches have plays in their scheme for every situation, and preparation is what makes you successful not the scheme.

/end rant

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Man, rewatching the 2014 VT game today reminded me again of my favorite player from that time period - Synjyn Days. IIRC, dude came in at QB. Then bounced to A-Back. Then to B-back, where he settled in the rotation until (IIRC) Lesley got hurt that year. He picked up and never took his foot off the gas - they had to play him. Which led to the amazing 1-2 punch that finished out the season.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong on the above - but that was what I remember.

I also don’t know what sort of conversations happened in the locker room, or with the coaches, or on the sidelines. But every time I saw him during that season, dude was super-positive. From the “WE’RE GOING TO CHARLOTTE!!!” Line in fall camp to seeing him be the first to go up and congratulate Butker on making a kick during the VT game, My impression of him is and always will be the definition of a team player.

Didn’t work out at QB? Put me in at A-Back. Need depth at B-back? I’m your man. Seemed like a guy who kept his nose to the grindstone, kept working hard, and finally saw it come to fruition in one helluva season.

it seemed to me that
Synjyn's a great dude. Met him a couple of years ago in the tailgate before the Clemson game at MBS.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
So what is he up to these days?
Financial advisor with the Piedmont Group. He’s very involved with GTFB as a letterholder/alum and posts lots of photos with his dog and wife at various backyard cookouts at very fancy houses. Seems to be very well connected in several communities and works hard/plays hard (not a surprise given his Tech FB career). It’s still social media so you’re only getting the highlights of course, but always got the vibe he’s been crushing it and is very happy.